Author Topic: Current project  (Read 1233 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Current project
« on: January 17, 2018, 12:02:08 AM »
My current project is restoration of a GE E-86 from about 1936.  The cabinet was intact, although it had moisture damage and some areas of veneer were loose.  I've got them mostly re-glued.  Tonight I worked on the second small area in which tiny pieces were missing.  The next step will be to remove what remains of the old finish, re-stain, and then varnish.  That's what I usually use because I don;t have spray facilities or equipment.  Sanded and rubbed out carefully, it can turn out very well. (No, never polyurethane).  Let's see if the photo will work.  If it doesn't (I downsized it for another purpose) I'll try again later.

Chris Campbell

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
Re: Current project
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 01:20:32 AM »
You got your work cut out for you there Chris!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 06:17:41 PM »
I'm sure it will look awesome when done and sound awesome as well.

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 06:41:40 PM »
I'll add some updated photos. The first one is the GE console radio after removing the old finish, gluing veneers,  and restaining. The second one is after multiple cats of varnish, with the new grille cloth propped up inside to show what t looks like.  The cloth is pretty close to what the original looked like, in color and pattern.  The next step is rubbing out the varnish with pumice & rottenstone. 

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 10:51:15 PM »
See, I told you it would look nice!

Bill

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 05:45:24 PM »
  Looking good, makes my arm tired thinking about it!

Where did you find that grille cloth?

-Tim

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 07:17:38 PM »
Nice job, Chris! 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 07:35:31 PM »
  Looking good, makes my arm tired thinking about it!

Where did you find that grille cloth?

The grille cloth came from q-masters (my receipt shows "qmastersrs@yahoo.com") on the ARF thread for supplies for cabinet restoration:
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=199613

My strategy was to check out all the offerings and choose the one that matched the original, unfaded portion best.  I found one that had a similar pattern and pretty close color match as well.

And don't y'all get too bust congratulating me until it's done--the next step is rubbing out with pumice & rottenstone. That's complicated a bit by all the shapes and corners, with many opportunities to rub right through the varnish.  Otherwise stated, there are many opportunities for bad language. @#%&$)!!!  But if it works right then I'm all grins.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 07:36:50 PM »
Typo in my reply.  Hit send in haste, repent at leisure.  I meant "busy."

Chris

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 07:48:36 PM »
Here's an update.  After varnishing multiple coats I started wet sanding or steel-wooling, then rubbed out with pumice and rottenstone.  I had to go back and add some more varnish in a couple locations.  Eventually, like last night, I declared it "good enough" and today I paste-waxed it.  Then I installed the speaker baffle board, replacing the original cardboard one, and installed the speaker.  The grille cloth is very close to the original where it wasn't faded under the grille bars.  I just lacquered the dial bezel and it's on top of the garage heater, baking a bit.  This isn't a perfect job but it's good enough to fool amateurs.  On the sailboat's varnished mahogany or spruce I have learned to settle for the 20 foot rule--it just has to look good from 20 feet away.  Perfection isn't possible for something that's 57 years old and sits outside all summer.  (Well, it is possible for people who can afford a full-time crew to create perfection, but that will have to wait until I win the lottery).  So for the radio, maybe we'll invoke the 5-foot rule. 

Next step:  re-capping and hoping it fires up.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 05:39:38 PM »
If the cabinet looks as good as the picture you have nothing to worry about at any distance.

Bill

Defalco

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 08:54:29 AM »
I agree with Bill. The cabinet looks fantastic, Chris. You pulled off a miracle if you ask me.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 09:52:18 AM »
Looks great to me as well.  If anybody criticizes, ask to see theirs so you can lay your eyes on perfection.   ;)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 09:01:01 PM »
Now I feel guilty.  The remaining step is electronic restoration and chassis clean-up.  But I ran smack-dab into boat maintenance season. One boat has a launch date of May 16. It's the one 145 mi. away, so all work gets done on weekends.  I have varnished the mahogany toe rail that surrounds the boat (2 coats) and the spruce mast (2 coats) and have been touching up the antifouling (i.e., poisonous) bottom paint (2 coats so far).  Plus I have a tiny cottage there, 700 sq. ft. of it, and a huge spring storm on Lake Huron washed away lots of the front yard behind the sea wall, moved rocks from grapefuit size to soccer-ball size into the yard,  and broke up my maple tree from the ice accumulation.  Some big steel sea wall steps that take two people to move were washed off the deck where they sat into the front yard behind it.  There's a huge accumulation of reeds that came over the wall and washed toward the back of the house.  That will require a lot of work to restore. Tonight I was polishing up the local sailboat's hull--the boat that's about 2 mi. away.  It's an after-work activity.  By 8:00 my nose was dripping and the fingers were stiff from cold, even though it was in the 40s. A few weeks back I sanded and varnished the pretty mahogany rudder.  I'm aiming for May 10 on that one.

The boats have taught me the wisdom of the aim-for-perfection-but-live-with-less rule.  If it looks good from a polite distance, that's good enough.  Plus, most people will never notice the defects that I can see--the runs and holidays and crud in the finish.  So when I came to the radio cabinet, I knew that I could live with a few defects, especially ones created by past mistreatment or abuse.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 10:28:54 PM »
My goal with furniture refinishing is to make it good enough the wife will let it into the house.  If she is down with it, it is good enough for me.  She likes to hotrod grill cloth.  The purists will faint with disgust, but they don't have to live with my wife.  She has some input into the project and takes some ownership of it.  WE then get to enjoy the fruits of our labor.  She always says I don't need another one.  Unless it follows HER home, of course.  Stuff FOLLOWS her home.  I BUY stuff.  There is a big difference when you are dealing with a double standard.   ;)

The radio purists are like the car purists.  Those guys turn their noses up at someone else's less than "perfect" work, yet yell like a banshee if someone takes the item they turned their noses up at and dares to repurpose it.  I appreciate the effort it takes to do restoration work.  I have restored several things I would not have restored had it been up to me.