Author Topic: 1960s Magnavox Stereo Theatre  (Read 1091 times)

MaggieMike1985

• View Profile
1960s Magnavox Stereo Theatre
« on: January 20, 2018, 11:35:01 AM »
Hello,

I am in search of a Magnavox Stereo Theatre. One from about 1963-1969 or so. I want a color set so I'm guessing I'm going to need to go with an Astro-Sonic model. I may go for a 1962 Imperial but really don't like the ivory color ones. I already have a Stereo in that color that I am dying to get refinished. It is a gorgeous piece of furniture but the finish on it definitely yellows with age. I want something to be able to watch my DVD and VHS tapes on, I'm not sure if it is possible to hook these tv's up to cable, but would be nice. I love the tube models but not sure I want a TV that is just black and white, heck the Astro-Sonic models still sound good! Someone from a Magnavox group told me that his Astro-Sonic Granada model sounds better than other Astro-Sonic models without the TV, probably more wattage and better sound.

I am in PA so I will travel 500 miles away if need be for one. My dad has already been warned that I am looking for one. I know it would be way too expensive to have one of these shipped so I'm willing to borrow my dad's truck and drive. Here are some brochures and ads so you could get an idea of what I'm looking for. I really like the French Provincial model from 1966 or so. I have it pictured here. Not picky on the model though, however I would love to have one with sliding doors so I could close them when not using the tv.  I really want one of these so I hope someone can help me out and tell me where I can find one. I've searched major cities in my area such as NYC and Boston, so far a no go.

electra225

• View Profile
Re: 1960s Magnavox Stereo Theatre
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 06:16:01 PM »
Astro-Sonic Stereo Theaters are easier to find than the older tube ones are.  There was one in St.Louis last summer that was a '64, IIRC.  I don't know if it sold or what happened to it.

Many times when furniture was finished in Antique Ivory, mis-matched wood was used, since Antique Ivory involves a procedure that hides wood grain to a large extent, so mismatched wood is not a concern.  Magnavox used ash in its veneered and wood-finished cabinets.  Quite possibly cheaper wood was used with Antique Ivory such as birch or poplar.  You may be disappointed with the appearance if you strip the Ivory and attempt to refinish.  Good luck.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

MaggieMike1985

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:21:22 AM »
I really hope someone has an Astro-Sonic Stereo Theatre color set for sale or knows where I can get  one.

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 02:02:22 PM »
I've saw a few in the past but not lately.  I'm sure the people here will keep you in mind if they run across one and let you know.  It might take some patience but I'm fairly certain that you'll find one.

We've been looking for a tube theatre for Greg quite awhile now and haven't found one that fits the bill but somebody is bound to find one sooner or later.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 06:30:46 PM »
How long have you been looking? Not very long I suspect.  In the last 4 years I have seen literally dozens of these sets in all styles of cabinetry across the country. 

Have patience, set up and save some searches on CL with email alerts whenever anything new pops up.  Check eBay at least once a week. 

Have some patience and be diligent in your search and I'm sure you will find what you are after.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 08:18:10 AM »
ANY Stereo Theater is an elusive critter.  Finding THE one like you want is an exercise in persistence and patience.  The solid state ones are more plentiful because they made more.  Many of the tube ones have been parted out for the amplifier.  Nobody wants one with a black and white TV except me.  Be VERY patient.  One will come along sooner or later. 

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 02:51:26 PM »
Here's one that you might like but it doesn't list a price.  Let us know if you get it.

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/d/tv-record-player/6475888967.html

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 03:42:59 PM »
I'd swear that's the same one Alan Brady had in his office...  too bad there's only one photo.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 08:06:01 PM »
That one is a color Astro-Sonic, circa 1963-64.  Model number 2MR555. 

MaggieMike1985

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 01:35:26 PM »
That is nice. That's a 1963 French Provincial model. Just asked the seller to send me more pics.