Author Topic: Berkshire  (Read 199 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Berkshire
« on: January 21, 2018, 09:54:56 AM »
Magnavox Berkshire listed on Craigslist in Midland Michigan.

kx5qs-6444705022@sale.craigslist.org

Not sure if above link will work, I have never had any luck adding links.  If not go Michigan, Grand Rapids, and type in stereo.  Price $65.00.

Bill

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Berkshire
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 09:59:40 AM »
I need to make a correction it should be Michigan, Grand Rapids, Antiques, then stereo. 

Sorry!

Bill

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 11:37:44 AM »
Hi Bill, To copy the link just go the the page address in the top of your browser and highlight/copy the whole string.  Paste it in your post and there's your link!

Here's the link for the Maggie Berkshire you reference:

https://centralmich.craigslist.org/atq/d/stereo-cabinet/6444705022.html

It is a very nice original Berkshire.  Looks like 1956, without the sliding glass tops added in 1957.  Also, has the tapered knobs.  Excellent cabinet.  Great buy for the money, if still available. Original documentation is always a plus.

"Stereo Cabinet - $65 (Midland)"

Magnavox AM/FM receiver, turntable, amplifier and speakers, all housed in a nice cabinet , I am posting this for a friend, he said his aunt was using it up to the day we were moved it from her apartment , or could be repurposed for a liquor cabinet or storage. It is 39 inches wide by 18 inches deep by 34 inches tall."

Paul

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 02:14:03 PM »
Ouch... that notorious "could be repurposed" suggestion.  Hate to see that.  I've got a Victor R-52 cabinet that had been "repurposed" (i.e., its sophisticated TRF tuner and P-P amp discarded) as a bar with mirrors inside and green felt.  It's listed on ARF, by the way, as a freebie, if anybody has a chassis and wants an original console for it.  I got it for free just to recuse it and it's taking up space in my shop.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 07:56:49 AM »
Thanks Amglow!    I'll give that a try and thank you for adding all the info to my post.  I hope someone from here does get it so it's not "Repurposed".   I'm sure it could be had for less.

I have a 57 Berkshire (glass tops) that needs a rebuild which I hope to do in the spring. 

Chris......You have said you have no more room but.......you should rescue this so that it does not get "Repurposed".  I would but I already have one and I'm heading to AZ right now.  Yes I know I'm deserting Michigan but family is important too!

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 02:19:36 PM »
Bill, there is a big Imperial on Phoenix Craigslist.  Bring some extra cash............. ;)
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 07:20:27 PM »

Chris......You have said you have no more room but.......you should rescue this so that it does not get "Repurposed".  I would but I already have one and I'm heading to AZ right now.  Yes I know I'm deserting Michigan but family is important too!

Bill

Bill, you have no idea how acute the space problem is here.  This weekend I recapped the 1937 Zenith radio--doing it on the dining room floor. The same floor holds an RME-84 communications receiver from 1948 on top of which is a Rek-O-Kut Rondine Jr. turntable.  To get to the Zenith I had to move two stereo receivers, a nice H-K 430 and a nice Sherwood S-7010, and a cassette deck from Canada.  Then tonight when I wanted to use the washing machine I had to move those devices back onto the Zenith.  Was it you who asked for pics of the Heathkit console?  I'd have to spend a half a day removing stuff in the garage to get to it.  When I want to drive the sweet red Mustang, now added as my pic, I have to roll the Magnavox Provincial Serenade out of the way, and roll out the 1955 Evinrude 15 hp Lightwin, then put them back after the car is out.  Aargh!! I need space!!  The Maggie needs to be indoors!  The Zenith needs to be available for Sat. night Grand Ole Opry!  The RME needs to be up where I can turn it on to check out SW bands!!  And that GE E-86 out in the shop getting refinished--where's that going to go when it's pretty???  We haven't even discussed the book problem.

On the other hand, with all the cool stuff, I'm rarely bored.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 08:32:29 AM »
Thanks Greg! I am bringing extra cash just in case but last year while I was in AZ I bought an Imperial back here in Michigan that friends pickup for me.  I did see your post on the one in Phoenix.  Mine is the same only in walnut or is it cherry?

Chris!  I fully understand your dilemma and was just hoping anyone on the forum would get the Berkshire.  You are the only one in Michigan I know on the forum.  I know there are others but I don't know their names.  Besides our consoles are like pets you want them to have good homes.  :)

Bill

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 08:47:49 AM »
Chris.....I forgot it was me that asked for the picture of the Heath Kit Console.

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 08:56:25 PM »
I've been thinking about how to partially extract it, mostly so I could install the new 10" speakers just to have a storage place for them.  I might be able to get at least a partial photo.  We'll see what the weekend weather is (in this part of Michigan, the weather often determines what to do on weekends.  Good winter weather?  Get outside and play in the snow, or maybe get the iceboat out.  Rain and melting, like last weekend?  Stay indoors and do filter caps on old radios and veneer gluing on the GE radio.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 06:13:39 AM »
Chris,

My part of Michigan predicts sun and low 40's.....but it's Michigan!!   ;)

Bill