Author Topic: 80 year old sound  (Read 289 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
80 year old sound
« on: January 21, 2018, 02:23:12 PM »
Yesterday evening I recapped the power supply on a 1937 Zenith 1004 radio chassis.  It had been removed from its console, which was probably a 10S155 or 10S160 by my uncle, most likely.  I've had it from probably about 1962, when I snagged it from my grandparents' basement.  A few years back I was listening to WSM from Nashville, Grand Ole Opry broadcast, and the stage band was having an especially inspired evening.  "I need to get the Zenith going" was my notion.  So I built a big plywood box for a speaker enclosure and fired it up.  HUMMM.  Time for caps.  It took a few years before I actually got around to ordering them but last week they arrived from Mouser. Somebody on ARF was kind enough to send me an improved schematic with tube-base markings.  I didn't worry about the output stage coupling caps failing because there aren't any--the P-P 6L6 outputs are driven by a transformer.  S I plugged it in with my dim bulb tester and eventually the audio came up so I went full voltage.  Wow, it sounded pretty good!  Good bass and high frequencies, such as they are on AM these days, with the tone selector on the "high fidelity" position.  Not bad for 80 year old technology.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
Re: 80 year old sound
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:27:59 AM »
Sometimes 80 year old technology is better than what we have now.  Dad had a Zenith 5-S-56 in the milkhouse on our farm for years.  We listened to WSM on it, using about a mile of the barbed wire on his Red Brand fence for an antenna.  It was so damp in the milkhouse that all the veneer fell off the cabinet.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.