Author Topic: A Trip back home  (Read 262 times)

Boyce

• View Profile
A Trip back home
« on: January 21, 2018, 04:35:45 PM »
Hi there and Happy New Year to my Forum Friends. As good as last year was at finding some really nice Magnavox consoles, what happened last week started my year off like a family homecoming.  Early last week I saw a notice on Marketplace for a console in my home town, Anderson SC (about 30 miles from where I live now). The seller (who had purchased the house, furniture and the Magnavox from an elderly lady) said the console was in  great shape, with all the paperwork – AND she had purchase it from a furniture store in town (I remember the store).
   I made arrangements to purchase and pick up the console on Saturday. When I saw the address it looked familiar, but when I got there it was like I had stepped back in time to 1967 when I was an 11 year old kid. The house was only half a mile from where I grew up. The railroad track and creek in front of the house was where we often played. This was my old stomping ground. Inside the house it was still the 1960’s – everything neat and clean just waiting for a time machine to bring a boy home.
   Then I saw the Magnavox – and it looked like it had just come off the showroom floor (she had kept in under a sheet when she didn’t use it). It was freshly polished – no stains, no wear, just gorgeous. We took one more look around the house, then loaded the Maggy and said our goodbyes. I left there and drove up the road a bit and stopped for a while in front of a house – my house -  on the street where I grew up. An old guy with an old  Magnavox, both from the same old town.

Bill

• View Profile
Re: A Trip back home
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 06:15:24 AM »
Awesome story!  It's funny how life can bring us back to where we started.

Bill

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 07:12:58 PM »
 Indeed, a beautiful Maggie with a story that's even better.

-Tim

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 04:54:39 PM »
Nice Maggie, great story!  If it sounds as good as my 3700 series Astrosonic does you will be very happy!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Boyce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 09:09:46 PM »
Thanks for the kind words,guys. And yes, Brook Benton and Bert Kaempfert are sounding pretty sweet.