Author Topic: 1959 Vintage Ampex Console from dad  (Read 514 times)

abuscaino

• View Profile
1959 Vintage Ampex Console from dad
« on: January 27, 2018, 02:28:29 PM »
Dad always loved his music he purchased his signature series ampex console in 1959 for 2700.00 dollars. I recall him telling me Sammy Davis Jr bought the same console before him on the same day. My dad purchased it loaded. Garrard turn table, Ampex  reel to reel deck ,and recording mics. I recently inherited this beauty with its diamond patterned walnut/ pecan cabinet. I am new to this site(nubie) so I will be following up with specifics and pics for comments. Currently she fires up sounds beautiful from ONE speaker side only ;-( the next step is to see what needs to be done to get sound from other speaker. I recall as a kid going to NYC with dad on quests for the elusive amp tubes usually with good results. My dad also had a tendency to Keep Aka hoard parts so I do have a box of tubes to test and figure out their usefulness. To be continued Anthony from Long Island NY

Alfista

• View Profile
Re: 1959 Vintage Ampex Console from dad
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 03:12:50 PM »
I'll be the first to say I'm jealous. Of course, we need pics!

-Tim

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 04:23:16 PM »
Sounds incredible.  An Ampex on the east coast, especially right in Fisher's back yard is pretty rare.

At $2700, price wise it was comparable to a Fisher President.

And we definitely want pictures!!!  Welcome!

BTW:  I have a receipt for a tape recorder knob for my console from 1961 from Authorized Factory Service  Co on Reade St in the city.  Ever remember being there?

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 06:33:39 PM »
Welcome Anthony from Long Island!

I will add my pictures please to go along with the rest of the group. 

Bill

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 11:22:42 PM »
The old saying is a picture is worth a thousand words.  Post us lots of pictures of this console beast.
--Larry