Author Topic: testing while on the bench  (Read 77 times)

Tedrick

• View Profile
testing while on the bench
« on: January 29, 2018, 06:06:16 PM »
Hi Group -
here's an issue I've been bumping up against - while working on the receiver in my current project with the receiver out of the cabinet, it's kind of a pain to hook up the various umbilical cords and molex connectors into the receiver in order to run the unit for testing.

does this just go with the territory, or are there ways around plugging and unplugging stuff between tests?

should I be able to hook up test speakers to the pins on the connector going out to the console's speaker network?

how about power? Could I run a temporary connector into the molex to jump start the system and not power the record changer?

Thanks!
Ted

Tedrick

• View Profile
Re: testing while on the bench
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 08:19:50 PM »
just had an interesting problem probably due to careless disconnecting/reconnecting -
I lost one channel and while investigating I pressed and wiggled the output board slightly and the missing channel popped back in --

hmm.... hopefully that problem doesn't come back....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 08:59:43 PM »
Bad contact? Board trace broken?  Dirty connector? Probably better to try to identify the issue before you put it all back together, because if you don't the problem will show up again the very moment you tighten that last screw.  The voice of experience....

Chris Campbell

Tedrick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 09:52:59 PM »
good point --
I'm hoping it might have been related to over use of deoxit...
I'll wipe the contacts down with isopropyl alcohol --

Tedrick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 10:08:32 PM »
ok - figured out how to connect up test speakers without using the molex connector to connect into the console speakers -

helpful to be able to test without that molex connector in there --

I see I could wire up a temp plug for main power --

I could leave the big connector for aux and phono and still use the unit -- so I'm making progress --

Tedrick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 10:02:31 PM »
got the receiver chassis set up away from the mothership -- feels good --

temporary power -
temp aux -
speakers -

all over but the cryin'!

for aux, I wired up a stereo 3.5 mm plug, ground to one alligator clip, left center strand to another and right center strand to another - so I'm able to feed in signal for testing and tracing -

speakers - similar connectors off the  left | ground | right  pins --

next step would probably be an adjustable vice/cradle for holding/rotating test piece -- any tips for this?

T