Author Topic: Question about an odd Magnavox artifact  (Read 429 times)

xaenon

• View Profile
Question about an odd Magnavox artifact
« on: October 18, 2017, 04:37:45 PM »
I recently picked up an odd coin. One one side it says 'Magnavox  feather touch' - no record wear', and on the opposite side it proclaims '1/10 ounce tracking pressure with 10 year diamond stylus warranty'.   It appears to be made of aluminum, 1-1/4 inch in diameter, and 1/16 of an inch thick.

Does anyone know anything about this?  What is its significance?  Any idea how old it might be?

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Question about an odd Magnavox artifact
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 09:32:55 PM »
Probably some kind of promotional item given out by Magnavox dealers to promote their new S-600 series of Collaro changer.  I would date it as approximately 1961, since that is the year the S-600 was introduced to replace the Conquest series.  The "Feather Touch" tone arm was a sales gimmick.  All Magnavox instruments of that era has 1/10 ounce tone arms and 10-year diamond needles.  There is a diamond-shaped sticker in every cabinet that states this fact.  The coin would be nice to have to show with a well-documented instrument.  I own one Magnavox stereo with a Feather Touch tone arm.  As far as I'm concerned, the Feather touch changer is identical to any other S-600.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

xaenon

• View Profile
Re: Question about an odd Magnavox artifact
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 05:48:38 AM »
Probably some kind of promotional item given out by Magnavox dealers to promote their new S-600 series of Collaro changer.  I would date it as approximately 1961...

Thank you for the information.  I'll display it with my most recent Magnavox toy, a 1967 3RP660 I got from the original owner in May of this year.  It came with the owner's manual, sales agreement, and all but one of the original cash receipts.   It also had the original paper mat with instructions for the changer, and a diamond-shaped hanging tag similar to the sticker you mentioned.  This one's definitely a keeper.