Author Topic: For the car guys  (Read 629 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
For the car guys
« on: February 04, 2018, 03:03:06 PM »
I'll send this along because several of us have a weakness for old cars too.  One of the big events here in Traverse City has been the arrival of the 1968 Mustang--the actual car--that Steve McQueen, coolest guy ever, drove in the chase scene (and others) in the 1968 movie, Bullitt. There had been two Mustangs.  One was scrapped because of damage.  The other was sold to a guy whose wife used it as a daily driver to her teaching job for three years in NJ.  Then it was retired and basically kept secret by the family.  50 years after the movie, they contacted Hagerty Insurance about going public. It's in as-found condition, including the brackets welded underneath to hold cameras, and the tube for the smoke machine in the trunk (see those tires burnin'!).  The car is on display downtown in the Hagerty Insurance building's big display window where they always have cool cars.  I stopped by yesterday and peered through the window.  They wouldn't let the public in, just employees, but it's a few blocks from my office so I'll walk down on lunch hour and have a close-up view.

This morning I pushed through a big snowfall to reach our downtown movie house for a 10 a.m. event celebrating the car.  It turned out to be a short video on the car's history, followed by the whole movie--on the great big screen, the way it should be seen. I had never seen the whole thing.  It's classically good filmmaking, with a great screenplay, inventive and effective cinematography, and Lalo Schifrin's jazzy score.  I was in the 5th row, and when the car bottomed out on the SF hills, my stomach did too.  Really visceral.  Movies are made to be seen on a big screen.  And apparently lots of others agreed with me because the big theater was almost full. 

Let's hear it for cars and movies....

Chris Campbell

danrclem

• View Profile
Re: For the car guys
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 09:23:14 PM »
I've known that it had been found for quite some time now but the owner wouldn't let anybody know where it was and wouldn't let it be shown to the public until now.  I hope it comes near me in the future because I'd really like to see it. 

It's been quite a few years ago that my brother told me that it was being stored in a barn somewhere around Bardstown, Ky.  Bardstown is about 20 miles away from me.  At that time I didn't think it existed and told him that he was wrong.  Well I read that the family did live in Ky. at one time so it is possible that it was close to me.

When I was about 14 or 15 I went to a drive in theatre where Bullitt was playing with my brother and sister-in-law.  When the car did the jumps it made my stomach feel as though I were actually in the car.  I have the movie and when I try to watch the chase scene I get motion sickness and can't watch it very long.

I've been a big fan of Mustangs ever since they started making them.  My brother had a 1965 Fastback but I don't remember if we went to see Bullitt in it or not.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 09:44:03 PM »
There's a nice article in the Jan./Feb. '18 Hagerty magazine (it's a nice glossy publication they send to people who insure with them).  See if this link works.
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/14/mustang-bullitt-found-real-mcqueen

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 09:45:37 PM »

When I was about 14 or 15 I went to a drive in theatre where Bullitt was playing with my brother and sister-in-law.  When the car did the jumps it made my stomach feel as though I were actually in the car.  I have the movie and when I try to watch the chase scene I get motion sickness and can't watch it very long.

My stomach bottomed out each time the car did--but I was in the 5th row with a great big screen in front of me!

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 10:28:40 AM »
Very cool story Chris.  I had forgotten about the Mustang and never really wondered what happened to it.  Since I'm only a couple hours away from you come spring I may take a ride.  My Metropolitan is insured with Hagerty. I wonder if that would get me a test ride?  ;D

Bill

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 02:00:03 PM »

My stomach bottomed out each time the car did--but I was in the 5th row with a great big screen in front of me!

Chris Campbell

I don't remember how close we were to the screen but I'm guessing that we had the same experience.  I've had that same feeling in a car while going down a big drop on the road while going pretty fast.  I don't do that anymore though.  I don't get that feeling on my home TV screen. 

I don't have insurance with Hagerty anymore but they still send me an online copy of their publication.  I'd renew my insurance with them if it would get me a test ride in the Bullitt Mustang.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 03:44:26 PM »
There was an episode of "Blue Bloods" on CBS that featured Steve McQueen's Mustang a few years back.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 07:27:08 PM »
Here's the Mustang, original and unrestored, and very, very cool.  Also on display were the letter from Warner Bros. verifying the provenance of the car, and the letter Steve McQueen sent when he tried to buy it from the current owner's dad.  I an send pics of those and a couple more of the car, including one showing the camera brackets welded underneath, if anybody is interested.  Meanwhile, here's the star, 50 years later.  What a cool car.  I need to go out and hug my Mustang.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »
I'm interested Chris!

Bill

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 08:11:37 PM »
A buddy of mine that works in the biz has one of the "camera cars" from Thelma and Louise. Kind of interesting with all the different brackets and mounts welded all over it. Of particular interest is the fact that this vehicle started out as a hard top and the roof was removed to mimic the look of the convertible hero car!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 09:05:53 PM »
I saw one of the Challengers that was used in the movie Vanishing Point at Floyd Garrett's Muscle Car Museum many years ago.  It looks like it still may be there.  The sign at the time said that the dirt on the car was left from shooting the movie.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g55328-d680214-i268582030-Floyd_Garrett_s_Muscle_Car_Museum-Sevierville_Tennessee.html

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 10:17:49 PM »
First, you can see square steel tubing underneath (mid-door; in front of rear wheel well) for the camera mounts.  I saw them in the movie, too.

Next, the McQueen purchase inquiry.  Last, the verification of authenticity.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 10:18:57 PM »
Oops, wrong photos.  Try again.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 10:22:16 PM »
Damn, photos didn't go.  One more try.

Chris

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 09:10:12 AM »
Chris,

So with the wrong photos.....what's the record? 

Bill