Author Topic: W801 Micromatic with off-center platter?  (Read 278 times)

ha1156w

• View Profile
W801 Micromatic with off-center platter?
« on: February 13, 2018, 11:44:19 PM »
A recently acquired W801 micromatic equipped console has undergone a full rebuild and relube.  I've found it has a noticeable amount of "wow" to its playback as though all the records were pressed off-center, regardless of speed.  However, the records I've played are not off center, and play without the "wow" on other turntables.  I once had a 1974 Sony HP-318 that had a BSR metal platter riveted horribly off-center from the drive rim, causing the same type of speed rise/fall.  Could this be the case with my Micromatic?  Anyone else see this in their Micromatic?  Did I just get a fluke or is it par for the course quality control in that era (1969 production date on mine)?  I never expected this on a Micromatic!

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: W801 Micromatic with off-center platter?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 12:09:56 AM »
I'd be inclined to look for other issues first.  The center spindle has to be a fixed point that the record revolves around on changers, so the center hole isn't wandering.  Is the center bearing clean and relatively unworn?  Does the "wow" occur at the same point in rotation each time?

Chris Campbell