Author Topic: More LPs  (Read 265 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
More LPs
« on: February 07, 2018, 07:12:00 PM »
I had to travel to another county for work this a.m. and the route takes me past a Goodwill store.  So I stopped on the way back to check out the LPs.  Oops, bought a bunch @ $1.  George Wright plays Mighty Wurlitzer; three Boston Pops/Fiedler discs (Offenbach, Strauss, Gilbert & Sullivan); Burl Ives; Hank Snow; Ernest Tubb; another Paul Weston mood music disc; and two musicals--Threepenny Opera and Flower Drum Song.  Most are mono and will be playable on my three 1956 consoles.  Odd how mine have clustered in that year.   But first I've got to run them through the record washer.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
Re: More LPs
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 10:07:06 PM »
Burl Ives, Hank Snow and Ernest Tubb sound interesting.  Burl Ives recordings seem hard to find.  Titles?
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 11:06:36 PM »
The Burl Ives is a cheap label reissue, "electronically reprocessed," one side only of him.  "Burl Ives Sings."  Duh....   As for that fake stereo, hit the mono switch.  Hank Snow:  The Old and Great Songs, an RCA Camden reissue.  Ernest Tubb: Another Story.  I was aiming for songs I knew and for discs is playable condition.  If there are any Eddie Arnold fans out there, this store had half a gazillion of his LPs.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 09:14:31 AM »
Ok Chris.....Since you bought a George Wright album and he is playing the Mighty Wurlitzer does it tell you what Wurlitzer?  Being an organ guy I need to know these things?   ;)

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 07:27:42 PM »
Ok Chris.....Since you bought a George Wright album and he is playing the Mighty Wurlitzer does it tell you what Wurlitzer?  Being an organ guy I need to know these things?   ;)

Bill

It's a well-kept secret.  The record label is "HiFi Record," not exactly one of the majors, and the notes do not reveal the identity of the instrument.  There's a photo--it's bright-finished (boat talk for varnished) art deco-looking console, most likely walnut. 

Chris

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 10:45:40 PM »
I am an Eddy Arnold fan, and have several of his albums. 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 11:21:23 PM »

Bill

I just poked around on Google and discovered that it must be the "Rich Vaughn Organ."  Read about it on p. 8 here:  https://www.atos.org/sites/default/files/image/tojournal/History/Founders/TO%20Vol1%20Issue%201.pdf.

It's the console pictured on the album cover, and the article mentions recordings by Wright.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 09:28:22 AM »
Thanks Chris!

I know George recorded several places, homes, theaters, and auditoriums.  He also had his own organ in his home in California.  Rumor has it all the pipe were in one room with a pink shower curtain dividing the main from the solo chamber.

Are you a ATOS member?  (American Theater Organ Society) If not it's interesting that you found the console info from their original magazine.

Bill

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 08:16:38 PM »
Chris,

I just read the article in the ATOE that you sent.  I had total forgot the Rich Vaughn organ.  That organ was a legend and only one of three 5 manual organs that Wurlitzer ever built.  I always thought it was kind of funny that Wurlitzer built a 5 manual organ but only put 21 ranks of pipe with it.  The Fox special organs were 4 manual and 36 ranks.  Even Radio City Music Hall which was Wurlitzer largest organ at 58 ranks was 4 manuals. 

Thanks Chris for jogging my memory.

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 10:29:55 PM »
Thanks Chris!

I know George recorded several places, homes, theaters, and auditoriums.  He also had his own organ in his home in California.  Rumor has it all the pipe were in one room with a pink shower curtain dividing the main from the solo chamber.

Are you a ATOS member?  (American Theater Organ Society) If not it's interesting that you found the console info from their original magazine.

Bill

I'm not a member--just found that by poking around with Google. 

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 10:34:13 PM »
By the way, as I type this my newly-purchased Hank Snow album is playing.  It's on RCA's Camden label, and it reminds me why we welcomed CDs.  There's a huge wow/warp at the outer edge, and the surface is pitted with bubbles.  Really a crummy pressing that escaped Quality Control, if they had any. 

Chris Campbell