Author Topic: So... this is how addiction starts....  (Read 755 times)

AC207

• View Profile
So... this is how addiction starts....
« on: February 14, 2018, 10:56:19 PM »
Hi everyone- Southern Maine here....  It seems I'm a victim of nostalgia- got it into my head one day that I'd buy an old console stereo and ended up with a solid state RCA VMT31W.  That was in December- the unit is in very good shape and looks and sounds great (after a little tune up). 

On Saturday I'm going to look at a late 60's Magnavox (identical to the one linked but probably not quite as pretty) and will likely part with $20 and bring it home.  Sunday, my wife is probably filing for divorce  ;D
https://www.loveseat.com/i/magnavox-record-cabinet-stereo-console/

That said, she did say she likes the looks of the Maggie so it appears the RCA is merely the equivalent of a gateway drug.  The next logical step would be a tube based console.  What suggestions do you all have that would be something of decent quality and a good value from a cost perspective?
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: So... this is how addiction starts....
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 11:04:49 AM »
I started down this rabbit hole the same way, and I apologize for enabling your addiction. :-\ Welcome to the forum, just jump right to your SS RCA if you can solder in new power supply filter caps and spray deOxit in all the pots and switches. RCA record players are usually pretty good and there is expert help here.

Links to 3 tube units below at both ends of spectrum certainly qualify. Your listings there up east DO look great!!!
The Zenith is easy to restore as far as tube ones go, easily found. The Voice of Music is in a great package with more value, like a Fisher or high-end RCA, Zenith or Magnavox.

Bonus points if you find an Admiral, Philco, Cutis Mathes or Sylvania tube console.

Zenith  https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/atq/d/vintage-zenith-record-player/6488511267.html
Packard Bell https://vermont.craigslist.org/atq/d/packard-bell-model-rpc-8r/6463949151.html
Voice Of Music https://maine.craigslist.org/atq/d/antique-vintage-radio-record/6468668967.html

RCA Victor hard to find normally and pre-1963 models with tubes VERY desirable along with most tube Magnavox, especially the prized Imperial and Concert Grand  displayed on this forum.

I am partial to Motorola 3-channel stereophonics myself, has a unique open sound, and need the LEAST amount of effort to reliably sound good again.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 11:40:09 AM »
Just saw this, good thing its a day away or Id be on it!https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-record-player-console-stereo-1961-with-Vibrasonic-record-player-/162894979776
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 01:02:23 PM »
Just saw this, good thing its a day away or Id be on it!https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-record-player-console-stereo-1961-with-Vibrasonic-record-player-/162894979776

Thanks for the response- this Motorola is intriguing as it's literally two towns away from me and it looks like it's in pretty solid condition.  I'd say it would definitely be worth reaching out to the guy!

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 03:39:45 PM »

Thanks for the response- this Motorola is intriguing as it's literally two towns away from me and it looks like it's in pretty solid condition.  I'd say it would definitely be worth reaching out to the guy!

Well, it's really quite a rabbit hole I've fallen into- after speaking with the owner of the Motorola I decided to go ahead an buy it- I'll be picking it up on Saturday morning.  Still going to buy the Magnavox but I've already placed that with my neighbor who loves the idea of having a nice, old console in her house.  And I think I'll be able to find a good home for the little RCA- my band mate's daughter lives part time in the analog world and loves to listen to her classic rock favorites on vinyl.

Guess there's no real harm in spreading this affliction to others  ;)

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 07:11:49 PM »
To paraphrase an old commercial:  Nobody can own just one... (current count at my place is 2 in the house (1229 sq ft) and 8 in the 2 car garage/workshop)

Welcome aboard!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 11:31:16 PM »
Welcome to the world of consoles.  Just so you know.....like Ken.....one is never enough.   I think the VM listed by Motorola Minion is like Ken's avatar.  You might want to investigate that as well as I think it was VM's top of the line.

Bill

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 03:18:08 PM »
Pretty busy day today.  I did buy the Motorola console that Motorola Minion brought to my attention (thank you for that!) and this morning I made the 20 minute drive to pick it up and bring it home.  Even though it's several years older than I am I'll concede that it is in much better condition!

I've found good homes for the two solid state consoles with friends that will use them as intended.  Shortly after sending a short video to some friends one replied that his wife pointed at a blank wall in their living room and said "I want one there!"

And I'm already plotting my next purchase... I've got a multi-purpose room I think is perfect for a compact model. Just need to decide if I consult my wife first or surprise her.  If I put it in terms she can relate to (adopting/ rescuing a stray animal) I think the odds of my succeeding will increase!  :)

Junkcollector

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 09:40:25 PM »
Just want to say welcome. You folks are going to get me in trouble! After reading this post. I want to go out looking for a tube console. It is getting late, and I have to get up at 3am! I will catch you folks tomorrow.

Junkcollector

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 06:39:31 PM »
I can hear a tube console calling your name.......

Bill