Author Topic: I finally learned......  (Read 620 times)

electra225

• View Profile
I finally learned......
« on: February 14, 2018, 10:58:48 PM »
......how to kipe the audio out of YouTube videos.  I have only been trying for two or three years, but I can do it now.  Nobody is gonna be any prouder of me than I am.  Computers ain't my kettle of fish.  I still have a couple rough edges to take off, but the basics are there.  I need to figure out how to get the audio files from the "Downloads" file on my computer to Windows Media Player.  I'm sure that is no big deal, probably something I'm overlooking.  This capability is one that may get me into trouble with the frau....... ;)

Millennials who mess with their cellphones all the time come in handy occasionally.  Don't ask me how I got so smart so fast.   :-[
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

electra225

• View Profile
Re: I finally learned......
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 10:00:39 PM »
This topic seems to be one that thousands of people aren't interested in.  Perhaps a bit more information will stir some interest.

A little girl, about four years old, came into the store the other day.  She was sitting cross-legged in the shopping cart her mom was pushing.  The little girl was watching a Barney video on a Smartphone.  She had her earbuds in.  She mentioned to her mom that she liked the song that was playing.  Her mom suggested that she download it.  This little girl accomplished in less than ten seconds what I had been trying for years to do.

My "rented grandson" Mikey was there and I told him the story.  No problem, he said.  Piece of cake.  His mom does it all the time, even on a desktop.  He told me about "www.onlinevideoconverter.com".  It is free, you don't have to download a program to the desktop.  Just tab between YouTube and the conversion website.  Like he said, it is a piece of cake, even for me.  I just made a CD from an artist I am interested in, entirely using audio from YouTube videos.  Certain videos will not give up their audio.  You get a message "This video cannot be converted" when that happens.  I have no idea why this happens.  I found a song I wanted and had to go to another source in order to download it. 

The conversion website dowloads the audio to the "downloads" file on my computer.  The next process is to transfer the audio files to Media Player in order to manage the files and burn a CD.  This is not a seamless process.  You have to identify and name the songs and artists in order to place the files in Media Player where I can find them.  Othewise, they are stuck in an "Unknown" file.  Managing the files are no problem if you are familiar with Media Player.  They can also be transferred to I-tunes, but I don't mess with that.  The audio quality seems to be good for the most part.  Much of the audio is transferred to YouTube directly from a CD.  The material from an actual video can have skips at the start and may contain other noise.  I downloaded some material that had been taken from TV.  I have already downloaded a couple hundred songs.  This can be habit forming.  I can now access material needed to complete certain collections I have started.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 12:20:35 AM »
It's not so much lack of interest as complete befuddlement.  On my old computer I could capture YouTube performances onto my iPod.  Then at some point it no longer worked.  I do have a little video of Ernest Tubb singing "Waltz Across Texas" and Hank Snow singing "A Fool Such As I." 

I'm not much of a fan of buying music online (i.e., downloading).  I like my physical copies--CDs or LPs.  But a while back I broke down and bought a modern classical music composition by download because that's the only way it was available.  So I paid a few bucks and downloaded into my computer's iTunes.  Think I could transfer it to the iPod?  Think again.  I got so desperate that I actually read Apple's online instructions.  They basically said "drag and drop."  I have dragged and dropped until I'm blue in the face and nothing transfers. I even had a teenager try to do it for me, the last recourse of computer-challenged old people.  He couldn't do it either (but to be fair, I think using an iPod was a bit too old-fashioned for him.  I should have tried a 30-something).

Maybe I'll try that conversion site you linked and see what it can do for saving YouTubes.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 09:05:05 AM »
When it comes to downloading material onto modern gadgets, I highly recommend finding a willing Millenial and sliding him or her a few bucks and save yourself the grief.  Modern stuff is not intended to be used by us old people.  I tell the story of my grandpa when I built my first stereo.  He wondered why I needed to fiddle with two speakers when he got by just fine with one.  I am getting my payback in spades with all this miraculous electronic media manipulation.

I'm not a fan of downloads, either.  I don't trust what is on the "other end."  Lots of foolishness by hackers and that going on.  The conversion site I mentioned has an annoying popup that tries to get you to download something.  I get out of it and move on.  That website I linked will allow you to download to I-Tunes or to a download folder on your computer.  Media Player has a doodad  at the right hand upper corner of the screen that will let you download to a thumb drive or I-tunes.  I used that to put some audio I wanted on a flash drive to use in my MINI.  That little car does not have room for a CD player in the dash.  I like flash drives, but the material on them is harder for me to manage than a CD.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 07:10:07 PM »
You too are brave and very smart.  I have a computer Geek buddy that is always bailing me out when I try something and screw it up.  I don't trust anyone but him to do anything to my computers.  I had someone say once, when I was trying to do something, oh that's a piece of cake, they did what I was trying to figure out but the Geek had to go in and fix the computer because they screwed something up.  I did master copying one CD to another. ;D  Continue you adventures in computerology, and good luck.

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 07:24:22 PM »
I struggle with tasks that require the use of computers.  When computers first came out, I made the misinformed decision that computers were a fad for the wealthy and were going to be of no use to me.  By the time I wised up, it was too late.  I was so far behind there is no catching up.  I am a firm believer that if I put my mind to something, I can generally accomplish what I set out to do.  It takes me awhile sometimes.  I am always the last one to know. 

The next frontier will be a Smartphone.  I'm not looking forward to that........ ::)

I have made a nice Amber Digby CD, a Justin Trevino CD, a Bobby Bare CD and a CD of nonsense songs, many of which cannot be discussed in polite company.   ;)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 08:44:09 PM »
I am a firm believer that if I put my mind to something, I can generally accomplish what I set out to do.  It takes me awhile sometimes.  I am always the last one to know. 

On the subject of accomplishing things, here's a cool video from REI about running a 100 mile race.  The narrator makes it a tribute to his buddy, the guy who taught him never to give up and that if you want to do something, you can.  At my age I'm not likely to run a hundred miles, and certainly not in less than 36 hours, but it's fun to think about, and even more impressive to ponder the kind of stubborn persistence that those guys had.  Here's the link.
https://www.rei.com/blog/run/how-to-run-a-100-miles?cm_mmc=email_com_gm-_-20180218_FPT_SpringBTR-_-021818-_-cta_video&ev36=9678096&rmid=20180218_FPT_SpringBTR&rrid=33228342&ev11=1&mi_u=33228342

Chris Campbell

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 06:53:33 AM »
I'm not exactly a millennial, though my kids most certainly would qualify.  That said, I'm fairly fluent with modern computer tech and may be able to help.

iTunes used to be a lot easier to use, but Apple has now locked it down so that you can only use it to manage music/ video on Apple devices (iPod, iPhone and iPad).  In the early days (early 2000's) you could actually connect third party mp3 players and still manage your music.

So if you are attempting to add music to your Apple device it could be as simple as drag and drop, provided you follow a few steps first.

1.  Connect the device so it shows the device icon on the bar at the top just below the menu.
2.  Select your device- the screen should now show details for your ipod, etc. (I believe it defaults to "Summary".
3.  On the right (main section) scroll down to where it say "manually manage" and select.  This is what is needed in order to drag and drop.

I create different playlists in iTunes and then drag and drop them onto whichever device I'm using (I have several).

Now if you are trying to add music you purchased from Apple onto an Android or other device it can still be done but there are different steps to take. If that's the case, let me know and I'll try to help.

I know almost nothing at this point about vintage consoles but perhaps I can help a bit here!

One other note- though I'm sure many are aware... The mp3 format is designed for convenience.  If you want to get as close to the uncompressed, open sound found on albums and CD's you may want to use uncompressed, lossless format such as .flac.  It will take about 10 times more space than the average mp3 but will sound so much better if you are playing through a console.

AC
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 07:46:19 AM »
I appreciate your input.  I'm not trying to deal with I-tunes.  I am trying to get the audio from YouTube videos on my hard drive, then on to CD.  I've heard that CD's are passe, but I find them easy to deal with and easy to manage.  I have a 400 CD changer on my Concert Grand, a 300 on the Imperial and a 300 on my wife's daily driver.  I have probably 325 discs in the 400 changer, the 300 on the Imperial is full, and there are maybe 200 discs in the wife's stereo.  I have made a lot of CD's.  I wore out two CD drives in my computer at home.  I like to find oddball music and material by artists from days gone by or by artists nobody has ever heard of.  The only real issue I have now is why some videos cannot be processed.  I'm assuming copyright, but that really does not make sense if they are posted online.  I may have to put some on cassette tape and process them that way.  I get 90% of what I want using the conversion website I linked earlier.  Jimmy Durante seems to be unable to be processed at all.  He's been dead for many years, I can't imagine his material being that hot....

I have been using mp3 format to make my CD's.  I've gotten along fine so far.  I use a program that is designed specifically to work in that format, so that may be part of it.  I've heard other comments similar to yours and certainly appreciate that viewpoint.

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 09:20:34 AM »
I've encountered some of the same issues using the online converters.  Some work fine and some don't work at all, depending on the song, artist and copyright protections enabled by the people that own the music.  Durante may be long gone, but someone out there owns the rights to the music.

You can purchase a product call SnagIt from TechSmith.  It's a reputable company and I've been selling their products to my customers for years.  It's $50 on-line but you can get a free trial to see if it will work for your needs.
https://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.html

Even if you're converting to mp3, I strongly recommend you do so at the highest quality possible.  The less compression you can get away with, the better.  Think of it in the same terms as low resolution photos compared to high resolution.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 06:13:38 PM »

iTunes used to be a lot easier to use, but Apple has now locked it down so that you can only use it to manage music/ video on Apple devices (iPod, iPhone and iPad).  In the early days (early 2000's) you could actually connect third party mp3 players and still manage your music.

So if you are attempting to add music to your Apple device it could be as simple as drag and drop, provided you follow a few steps first.

I'm the one who was fighting with iTunes after going wild and buying music online.  Spent three bucks on the Chicago Symphony site to acquire it because it wasn't available in any other format.  It landed in iTunes but would not migrate any further after that, like onto my iPod (which is the whole reason for having iTunes, right?).  Apple doesn't provide any support, of course.  They seem to design their stuff to be perplexing.

At any rate, thank you for the suggestions.  I'm going to try the "manually manage" option a bit later and see if that works.  Somebody had also suggested making the various movements into a playlist.  We'l see what happens.

Chris Campbell

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 06:32:23 PM »
Let me know if you need help.  I'm happy to screen shot step by step and share here.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 10:58:20 PM »
Thanks AC207 for all your knowledge it will help this dummy.

Bill

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 05:05:51 PM »
To me the audio quality for 99% of what is on YT is pretty craptastic. It's for that reason that I don't watch much YT video and I would never bother downloading it.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 11:26:38 PM »
I've downloaded a couple things that aren't available elsewhere--Hank Snow and Ernest Tubb performances from TV shows, for example, so the quality wasn't going to be very high anyway.  The real problem with YouTube is that you watch the one you wanted, then off on the right side the seduce you with really interesting things.  Ooh!  I want to watch that one!  And pretty soon the whole evening has passed. 

I've also posted some of my own.  There's the bike ride to work on a winter day with the video camera strapped on the handlebars, a couple summer outings on the sailboats, the St. Pat's parade in Bay City, MI--lots of ultra excitement.  I'm still waiting for somebody to discover them and make me famous.  It will probably happen about the time I win the lottery.  That will happen shortly after I'm struck by lightning.

Chris Campbell