Author Topic: I finally learned......  (Read 1268 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Re: I finally learned......
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 01:05:04 PM »
Careful Chris....the struck by lightening could happen!  ;)

Bill

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 03:17:28 PM »
In the hope of being discovered and suddenly becoming wildly famous and popular I'm tempted to share videos of my classic rock cover band with you all.   ;D
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 07:19:09 PM »
It never hurts to post a link.  Unless you're afraid of critics....  I will note that my videos of riding the bike to work and playing the 1956 Maggie haven't made me famous, nor my thrilling exploits at the helm of  my sailboats.  So don't hold your breath for instant fame.  I did and just turned blue in the face.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 08:32:57 PM »
I have found the music quality to be acceptable so far.  Even the "Teddy Bear Polka" sounds okay and it was downloaded from a scratchy old 78.  I will probably run the Teddy Bear Polka thru my music conversion software at home in an attempt to clean it up a bit.  I'm glad to have that song after all these years.

I'm not going to search for more competent program(s) to download audio.  If I can't download a song for some reason, I'll wait until I get back home and put it on cassette tape, then process them that way.

Bobby Bare, Ray Stevens and Jimmy Durante are the artists I have had problems downloading.  I got several by Bobby Bare and Ray Stevens, but not all I wanted.  I could not download a note by Jimmy Durante.   
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 08:54:24 AM »

Bobby Bare, Ray Stevens and Jimmy Durante are the artists I have had problems downloading.  I got several by Bobby Bare and Ray Stevens, but not all I wanted.  I could not download a note by Jimmy Durante.

I've had decent luck finding downloadable music at https://www.mp3juices.cc/

Most of it seems to come from youtube, and a quick search for Jimmy returned a few songs for me.

-Tim

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 03:19:44 PM »

So if you are attempting to add music to your Apple device it could be as simple as drag and drop, provided you follow a few steps first.

1.  Connect the device so it shows the device icon on the bar at the top just below the menu.
2.  Select your device- the screen should now show details for your ipod, etc. (I believe it defaults to "Summary".
3.  On the right (main section) scroll down to where it say "manually manage" and select.  This is what is needed in order to drag and drop.

Woo-hoo... I selected "manually manage" and ignored the dire warnings ("Are you sure you want to? You'll have to manually eject.") .  And then damned if it didn't drag and drop onto the iPod!!

But now my question is how I turn the 23 cuts into a single playlist so they play together?   Maybe they are already linked, since they were a single purchase. 

As I recall, I did select a higher quality download, certainly not MP3 unless that's the only option and it wouldn't be from the Chicago Symphony.

Thanks,
Chris Campbell

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 08:41:25 PM »

So if you are attempting to add music to your Apple device it could be as simple as drag and drop, provided you follow a few steps first.

1.  Connect the device so it shows the device icon on the bar at the top just below the menu.
2.  Select your device- the screen should now show details for your ipod, etc. (I believe it defaults to "Summary".
3.  On the right (main section) scroll down to where it say "manually manage" and select.  This is what is needed in order to drag and drop.

Woo-hoo... I selected "manually manage" and ignored the dire warnings ("Are you sure you want to? You'll have to manually eject.") .  And then damned if it didn't drag and drop onto the iPod!!

But now my question is how I turn the 23 cuts into a single playlist so they play together?   Maybe they are already linked, since they were a single purchase. 

As I recall, I did select a higher quality download, certainly not MP3 unless that's the only option and it wouldn't be from the Chicago Symphony.

Thanks,
Chris Campbell

That's pretty easy and there are a couple of ways to do this but we'll go with the easiest. 

On the menu bar at the top select "File" then "New" and then "Playlist".  Then simply rename it to whatever you desire and start dropping songs into it.  When your playlist is done you can just drag and drop the entire playlist onto your device. 

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 11:18:16 PM »
I had experimented by just dragging and dropping sequentially.  Then later tonight I played the first one and it kept on playing all of them, then stopped.  Just right.  There are a couple quirks, like false starts.  I'll try your playlist technique and see if that's better.  But at least I got it onto the iPod.  I wonder why Apple is so parsimonious about sharing info on using their products.  Thank you for the guidance. 

Chris Campbell

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2018, 10:34:06 AM »
I've had a lot of luck in the past using their support forums.  Very knowledgeable user base.  Sometimes it's more helpful to google what you're looking for as many of the helpful links will pull you toward their forums anyway.

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2018, 10:38:10 AM »
It never hurts to post a link.  Unless you're afraid of critics....  I will note that my videos of riding the bike to work and playing the 1956 Maggie haven't made me famous, nor my thrilling exploits at the helm of  my sailboats.  So don't hold your breath for instant fame.  I did and just turned blue in the face.

Chris Campbell

Well, since you put it that way and I'm not afraid of criticism I'll go ahead and post a link to some of my original music instead :)
https://www.reverbnation.com/adamclarke/song/1425559-lead-with-your-heart

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2018, 01:30:44 PM »

Well, since you put it that way and I'm not afraid of criticism I'll go ahead and post a link to some of my original music instead :)
https://www.reverbnation.com/adamclarke/song/1425559-lead-with-your-heart

My theory is that the two crucial occupations in a democracy are the teachers and the journalists. The rest of us just make life easier.  But often enough I'll think that the necessary people are the teachers, the journalists, and the musicians.  Musicians are the artists who affect me the most.  Life would be pretty dull without music around and we wouldn't have many of those moments of compete and utter wonder.  So keep making your music and being bold enough to make it available. I was headed off to a high school reunion a few years back from my mother's home and when I was about to leave she remarked that people who go to reunions tend to be secure people.  Same goes for people who perform in public (live or via recording).

Chris Campbell

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2018, 11:22:37 PM »
   Well said--music is the "universal language" I read somewhere.
           What really worries me is that "bit compression" and other new methods of tossing out, i.e. deleting supposedly inaudible musical information  (inaudible to a software person's ears and inaudible thru their equipment, anyway) will lead to disposal of the "original" supposedly degrading-with-time sources of recordings since they are now on this perfect new medium.
           We have all had that rare experience where the source (maybe a live jazz broadcast on public FM radio) the equipment (sometimes the simpler the better) and the listening conditions all combine to make for an experience so stunning and dramatic that you say to yourself "I've never heard such realism, if I close my eyes I would swear the musicians are right in front of me.  Why has it never sounded like this before, what's different this time ?" 
           Well listening to these modified storage mediums may make that experience impossible in the future. If we don't know how to make that experience occur repeatedly at will, how can we be sure our new storage mediums aren't taking that something away ?     

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2018, 12:23:05 AM »

What really worries me is that "bit compression" and other new methods of tossing out, i.e. deleting supposedly inaudible musical information  (inaudible to a software person's ears and inaudible thru their equipment, anyway) will lead to disposal of the "original" supposedly degrading-with-time sources of recordings since they are now on this perfect new medium.

For many years, really since the birth or recorded sound, the goal was to increase fidelity--faithfulness to the original sound.  It wasn't really until digital recording came along that there was an intentional effort to degrade the recordings to "good enough" by throwing out information.  Well, maybe RCA made an early effort with Dynagroove.  Now there's the controversy over MQA.   

Of course, even degraded recordings can be enjoyed if the performance is inspired.  You can hear a recording by Caruso and know immediately why he was a superstar.  Same with early ones by Louis Armstrong.  The radio had Bessie Smith singing tonight.  My only regret about sound was that the remarkable piano player was mostly buried in noise.  I do get annoyed by radio announcers who fall all over themselves apologizing when they play 78s or materials derived from them.  Of course the sound quality will be less than we expect today--the recordings are old!  We're lucky to be able to hear the performers at all and should be grateful for that. 

Chris Campbell