Author Topic: A Cottage For Sale  (Read 308 times)

electra225

• View Profile
A Cottage For Sale
« on: February 23, 2018, 10:15:38 PM »
Billy Eckstein was one of the early recording artists of this song.  He had a hit on it in 1945.  Johnny Mathis, Frank Sinatra and others also recorded it.  So did Frankie Laine.  I have always liked this song, and I've never heard a bad version.  I believe if I had to choose a favorite one, though, it would be Frankie Laine's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wg88GT56vE

".....from every single window, I see your face.  But when I reach the window, there's empty space.  The key's in the mailbox the same as before, but no one is waiting for me, anymore.  The end of our story is told on the door "a cottage for sale......"  They simply don't write and record music like this anymore.  We're lucky we have websites that preserve and share these old musical gems.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
Re: A Cottage For Sale
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 11:10:55 AM »
That is a good song Greg!

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
Re: A Cottage For Sale
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 08:12:20 PM »
The flip side of the 45 that has "Cottage For Sale" is a song called "When I Speak Your Name."  Not many 45's had two good songs.  My copy is so worn that I am glad to have found these songs on YouTube.  MY mom won a collection of ten Columbia 45's on a radio show in 1956.  Jim Shelton's "Pick A Pocket" show, broadcast on WIBC out of Indianapolis.  Broadcast from the Circle Theater in downtown Indy.  It was a big deal in its day.  Jim Shelton wore a huge coat with multiple pockets on it, numbered and differently colored.  You would pick a pocket.  Jim would ask you the question, usually trivia of some kind.  If you won, you would get the prize printed on the pocket.  Way too simple and requiring too much personality to be broadcast today.  The envelope the records are in is dated June , 1956.  I read on YouTube that "Cottage For Sale" was recorded in 1958.  I believe that to be wrong.  The album that the song was taken off for the YouTube video may have come out in 1958.  I need to check another source before I say this for sure, but my thinking is that Frankie Laine either recorded the song earlier than 1956 or my mom put the wrong date on the record envelope.  One of the records is by Tony Bennett.  "Firefly."  I believe it was recorded in 1955.  There is a Doris Day record with "Run Away, Skidaddle, Skidoo".  This song was from a musical from 1955, according to the script on the record.  This leads me to believe that Frankie Laine may have recorded "Cottage" in 1955 or very early in 1956.  I'll see if I can run something down on that.

As to the technical side of "A Cottage For Sale".  I love the muted brass and brushes on the snares.  When was the last time you heard a muted French horn with a riff in the middle of a song?  Those gooey love songs still put chills up my spine. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.