Author Topic: Benny Goodman  (Read 219 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Benny Goodman
« on: February 24, 2018, 11:30:19 PM »
I listen to a public radio show called "Exploring Music."  There's usually a theme for the week--a composer, or performer, something.  This week has been "Carnegie Hall."  Friday night it was mostly Benny Goodman's 1938 Carnegie Hall performance with the band and the quartet/trio.  I had forgotten what really remarkable music they made in that performance.  Gene Krupa is on drums, relentlessly driving the various ensembles, and the music is superb. Goodman had integrated groups at a time when black and white musicians generally did not perform together, and he hired Fletcher Henderson to do arrangements.  Teddy Wilson on piano, Lionel Hampton on vibes....

I knew I had become mature when I could listen to and enjoy music if I liked it,whether it was critically-approved or not.   This is just great music, creative and inventive and moving.   

You can hear the week's shows online here for the next week or two.  The Goodman show was at the end--Friday.
https://exploringmusic.wfmt.com/listen-to-the-show/260/carnegie-hall-part-1/
Online listening doesn't quite compare to good ol' FM radio, but the music's quality will overcome. Just turn it up.

Chris Campbell

There are any comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?