Author Topic: Supremes at the Copa.  (Read 442 times)

impaladb

• View Profile
Supremes at the Copa.
« on: February 28, 2018, 08:57:18 PM »
On the forums (Tapeheads too) tonight reading posts. Listening to The Supremes at the Copa reel tape on my 1968 Sony TC-666D connected to my Magnavox.

Nice relaxing music and auto-reverse so I don't have to get up and flip the tape.

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Supremes at the Copa.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 12:20:08 AM »
Is that a prerecorded tape or one you took off another source?  I have a few prerecorded R to R tapes and some of them are astonishing.  I have an old Sony TC350 that needs resurrection.

Chris Campbell

impaladb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 07:28:53 AM »
Motown pre-recorded.  I have 3 of the Supremes. Copa, More hits, Diana Ross Farewell.  All are great albums.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 06:51:53 PM »
Wow, I had no idea that Motown issued prerecorded tapes.  Sound good?

Chris Campbell

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 04:49:10 AM »
https://m.ebay.com/itm/THE-SUPREMES-at-the-COPA-REEL-TO-REEL-Motown-4-TRACK-STEREO-Hi-Fi-Audio-Tape/401500876786?hash=item5d7b512ff2:g:cGoAAOSwXvdamJb5

Whole mess of Supremes tapes out there now.  I shy away from 3.75 ips.  Sound quality isn't as good as 7.6 but it could be the equipment, not the tape.

impaladb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 07:11:49 AM »
Yes I usually avoid 3 3/4 tapes. On my Wollensak machines they were really dull and flat. On my 666D they are really nice. Clear highs and nice bass. Diana Ross' sibilant tones come right through on the Sony at 3 3/4, not so much on the Wollensak.

I've had 3 3/4 tapes that sounded lifeless though. I think a lot of it comes down to mastering too. The ones from the 70's  seem worse than ones from the 60's.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 10:51:13 AM »
I love R to R.  I have several store bought easy listening R to R tapes and a big pile of stuff I did myself.  Most of them are Theater Pipe Organ Recordings I made a the Senate Theater which has the Wurlitzer organ from the Fisher Theater in Detroit.  I made these recording years ago when I was a member of the Detroit Theater Organ Society which owns the Senate Theater.

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 11:09:49 AM »
I'd like to find someone who could do some tune-up work on some of my recording equipment.  Parts are impossible if you would find someone to work on them. 
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.