Author Topic: New Resto Project- 1961 Imperial Magnavox  (Read 3173 times)

AC207

• View Profile
New Resto Project- 1961 Imperial Magnavox
« on: February 28, 2018, 10:25:58 PM »
So I've gotten my Imperial- French Provincial home and out of the back of my car.  My goal tonight was to get the back pulled off and take some pics of the inside to get a better idea of what I'm starting with.

As expected, after sitting unused for about 30 years there was an excess of dust and grime, especially on the amp, but from what I can tell everything appears to be there. 

The tuner section above was surprisingly clean- I guess everything settled on the amp in the lower section.

Before I even start with the electronics I'm planning to try and clean this up as much as possible- inside and out.

*** Tip for viewing larger photos- right click on the photo and open in a new tab or window and the picture will display properly. ***
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.

AC207

• View Profile
Re: New Resto Project- 1961 Imperial Magnavox
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 11:14:58 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of the top of the system.  The first is as it was, the second and third were after a quick pass with some Murphy's.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 12:24:46 AM »
Nice find.  Have fun cleaning and updating.  Keep us informed of progress.

Chris Campbell

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 01:04:41 AM »
A bit crusty with age but overall it doesn't look too bad, should clean up just fine from the looks of those photos.

I think that this FP Imperial is one of the nicer units, it's got some heft to it and has a very masculine feel about it that a lot of FP furniture seems to lack.

-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 05:44:45 AM »
Here are some more "before" photos.  From the appearance of the tubes, I'd say they are mostly, if not all original.  Are they good?  No idea... There is a local place that works on this stuff so I'll probably end up bringing the tubes in to be tested- looking at the cost of tube testers I'd say that will be the most cost effective option.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 05:11:45 PM »
mine wasn't quite that dirty...
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 06:45:48 PM »
mine wasn't quite that dirty...
Well, if I can get it looking half as clean as yours I'll consider it a success!

While the upper tuner section is relatively clean my amp section is going to take some work. My initial thought is to get a small paint brush and try to guide toward a small vacuum cleaner.  I'm not certain what the next steps should be.  While I plan to remove and clean the tubes by hand (and have them checked) it seems prudent to remove as much of the debris as possible before actually pulling the tubes.

When you were going through yours did you pull the speakers?

I'm receptive to advice any of you would care to share.  This is the first time I've undertaken anything like this and I'd like to do as good a job as possible.  The intent is not to restore and resell but to keep and enjoy. 

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 06:59:13 PM »
One of the reasons things get so dirty is we're dealing with tubes, little heater machines that need ventilation to survive.  The ventilation also brings in dust, and it accumulates. I've used small paint brushes and acid brushes to stir things up for a c=vacuum with a crevice tool.  Other advice from this list is to use waterless hand cleaner, the nonabrasive variety, and that worked well for my chassis.

Tubes, I always worried about those, but they are actually a lot more durable than we imagine, and often work pretty well even when they test "low."

Chris Campbell

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 07:41:59 PM »
I'm glad you mentioned vacuum and brush as that is exactly the approach I was planning on taking to get the bulk of the grime out.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 11:02:36 AM »
I work with a acid brush and vacuum first and then mix Dawn dish soap with warm water to do the second cleaning.  Works very well but you need to be really careful to wring out the rag and then have a dry towel to dry.  Also be very careful with tags and lettering not to destroy anything.  If you wipe off the tube be careful not to wipe off the letters on the glass part of the tube. 

Bill

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 01:21:58 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  I appreciate everyone's being patient because while I am not exactly a young man, I've never dabbled with this type of project.  I want to take my time and do it right and learn along the way.  So I'll be relying on you good folks along with some friends that can assist with some of the hands on work... teach me to fish, in a manner of speaking.

So far, items to put on my list for they physical cleaning and refurbishment are:
Deoxit (is there a specific blend?)
Acid brushes
Dawn detergent
Vacuum cleaner with crevice tool

For the exterior wood I was going to start with Murphy's Oil Soap as I was impressed on how much it helped the top of the cabinet with just a quick hit.  Is there something you would recommend over Murphy's?  Also, I'd really like your thoughts on what type of polish or wax to consider.

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 06:14:52 PM »
Tonight I pulled the amp out so I could try and get through 30 years of dust. Man, now I know how Indiana Jones felt!

Here are a couple of before and after pics.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 11:46:30 AM »
That's the way mine looked before I cleaned it.  Lots of dust bunny's.  :)

To answer your question on what else to clean/polish the wood is Howards wood products.  I hope I got that right because I have never used it mostly because I can't find it in my area.  I use Guardsman's furniture products.  That's what's available to me and they seem to work well.  As far as Deoxit goes I think two different companies make it using the name Deoxit.   Mine was in a red/black spray can and I got it on line.  It does come in different ways to apply it.  Spray, needle, drops, etc.  I just get the spray.  Hope this helps.

Bill

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 12:02:37 PM »
Tonight I pulled the amp out so I could try and get through 30 years of dust. Man, now I know how Indiana Jones felt!

Here are a couple of before and after pics.
**EDIT**  Added photo showing underside of amp.

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 12:17:06 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations on the Howards- I believe that is the same product the person the sold me the Motorola suggested. 

In my attempt to document my progress- here are some photos of the cabinet before I attempt any cleaning.