Author Topic: New Resto Project- 1961 Imperial Magnavox  (Read 3586 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: New Resto Project- 1961 Imperial Magnavox
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 12:51:42 PM »
I've used Howard's with success.  It isn't a miracle product (none are), but it has solved problems.  I had a Sparton console radio that went through a flood.  Eventually I re-glued the lower part of the veneers.  The lacquer finish was mostly intact but with whitish lines where the wood had expanded when wet and the finish cracked.  Howard's made tat mostly disappear and made the whole console uniform.  The visible water line became much harder to see and this avoided refinishing.  I've also used it on an old gate-leg table that I use in my office at work and a wooden office chair there.  The chair had some water spots from a leaking window in the old office.  The Howard's made them disappear.  I buy it at my local Ace Hardware.

And for DeOxit, check out the Caig page here.  They make several varieties:
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/.f

I use the standard stuff plus the "F" series for faders and pots.  I like the pump cans for controlled dispensing.  I have a little film can that I pump some into so I can use a fine artist's brush to apply it to contacts on wafer switches and the like.

Chris Campbell

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 02:42:27 PM »
That's great information, Chris, and very helpful. From what I can tell, this console is surprisingly intact. The people I got the Imperial from had inherited it (along with everything else) from an uncle that had passed in the 80's. It had just been sitting in their basement all this time! For the first time I did try to turn all the knobs- all the knobs on the tuner and the speaker selection switch turned freely. The turntable rotated freely and quietly and the LP selector also moved without issues or binding. Everything, including all the tubes, appears to be original.

I'm trying to do this restoration in phases so it doesn't become overwhelming. My focus yesterday was on cleaning the top layer of crud from the exterior and pulling the amp to re-cap.  Once the amp is done, I'll move on to the tuner and then the changer.  I also plan to open up the speaker cabinets to get any dust out of those areas and clean the speaker grills and cloth thoroughly.

Yes, I am admittedly a novice when it comes to repairing electronics, but my good friend (an electrical engineer) will be working with me on those parts.

Hopefully, my plan of attack is sound.
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 04:59:29 PM »
Never would have thought this would clean up so well.  I've pulled some of the tubes to clean them, taking special care to avoid rubbing the printing from the glass.  The ones remaining are being stubborn and I'm not going to force the issue.  Is this a case for Deoxit?

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 05:54:36 PM »
The tubes will come out.  Grasp them by their bases; rock very slightly while pulling upward.  They will move.  Remember that they are octal tubes with a central pin that is part of the base.  It has a location key so they can only be inserted one way.  Do not twist as you pull up. 

Chris Campbell

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 06:00:50 PM »
Congrats on getting a fine console!

For cleaning the cabinet Murphy's is a good place to start and then as mentioned Howards does a good job.  There's also Minwax Paste And Finishing Wax that I haven't used but a lot of people recommend it.  I need to get some and try it out.

I have a can of D5 Deoxit and a can of F5 Deoxit.  I use the D5 first, let it dry good and then the F5.  You can probably just use the F5 but it might not clean it as well as the D5.  Just make sure that if you clean the pots with a cleaner only that you use something like the F5 to lubricate them.  I think Deoxit makes a lubricant that just lubricates only.  I really need to get some of that.  If you have places that you don't think is getting sprayed very well you can use a syringe and inject some in it.

If you have any questions there are a lot of good people here that will give you a helping hand.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 07:14:17 PM »
If you'd like to get rid of the white film common on Magnavox chassis, I suggest using a little PB Blaster on a rag and put a thin film on the metal chassis.  When you go thru the amp chassis, be sure to check the 220K ohm grid resistors and the cathode by-pass resistor.  Good luck.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 06:41:40 AM »
If you'd like to get rid of the white film common on Magnavox chassis, I suggest using a little PB Blaster on a rag and put a thin film on the metal chassis.  When you go thru the amp chassis, be sure to check the 220K ohm grid resistors and the cathode by-pass resistor.  Good luck.
That won't remove the printed markings for the amp model and serial number, will it?

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 01:39:29 PM »
I probably should have cautioned you to steer clear of the chassis markings.  Don't use anything on them.  They are basically in a "grease pencil" type of material and can be damaged.  I'd steer clear of them totally until you get some experience working with them.  Use the PB Blaster on the rest of the chassis.  Put the PB on a cloth, just damp, not dripping wet.  Then use it like shoe polish on the chassis.  It gets rid of the white residue (some say it is cad plate, I'm not so sure!) and makes the chassis look shiny and new.  It helps the white residue to not return, although this is not guaranteed, depending upon humidity.

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 03:14:08 PM »
So far I've just used a damp wash cloth with water and dawn dish detergent on the chassis.  I was careful to tread very lightly around stickers and printed symbols.  Really trying to be patient, take my time and pay attention to detail with this.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 06:33:52 PM »
I used Favor to polish the tubes in my Concert Grand.  I don't recommend that.  The most God-awful smell until it burned off somewhat.  I guess some things are not supposed to sparkle........ ;)

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 07:13:59 PM »
I used Favor to polish the tubes in my Concert Grand.  I don't recommend that.  The most God-awful smell until it burned off somewhat.  I guess some things are not supposed to sparkle........ ;)
For the tubes I just used a slightly damp paper towel with a light touch. It was just enough to get the bulk of the grime off.  I tried to avoid the lettering.  Also, managed to get all of the tubes out- hit the connectors with a little Deoxit and let them sit for five minutes and they pulled right out.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2018, 07:24:43 PM »
The white film that covers the chassis also finds it way into tube sockets.  I forget who suggested this, but I was told that using 0000 steel wool on tubes, avoiding markings, is a good way to make tubes sparkle without leaving anything that might smell funny when it gets hot.  I like polishing things.  Bad habit, I guess....... ;)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2018, 11:16:49 PM »
I get nervous about steel wool around electronic projects.  There's too much chance of little steel fibers going astray and getting into some place where they might conduct.  On boat projects, you use bronze wool because when it sheds fibers, they don't show up as rust. 

Chris Campbell

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2018, 05:44:22 PM »
3M makes this great stuff called scotchbrite... works just like steel wool but no metal fibers to worry about.   ;D

For cleaning Tube sockets I like CRC Electronic cleaner and a good old fashioned pipe cleaner or a Proxy Toothbrush.

For cleaning rotary switches I have been using WD-40 with good success, and most importantly no failures caused by the product.

Tubes I just wipe with a paper towel and some windex... I could care less if the markings get wiped off, no one is gonna see em any way.

As for the cabinetry if it's really yucky an application of Gojo waterless hand cleaner (the original creamy kind without pumice/grit) will get off a surprising amount of gook and is especially good at removing build up of nicotine and furniture polish.  Then a quick once over with Old English Furniture Polish (the scratch cover type) and finally a coat of two of good old Johnsons paste wax.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 10:55:13 AM »
As always, I really appreciate everyone's input- thank you!

Here is a photo of the bottom of my amp prior to re-capping.