Author Topic: New Resto Project- 1961 Imperial Magnavox  (Read 12860 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Re: New Resto Project- 1961 Imperial Magnavox
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2020, 06:55:40 AM »
Hi Adam,

I will reinforce what Chris said, the speaker switches are notorious for causing problems.  Take some DeoxIT and spray the heck out of that switch, then rotate it back and forth a bunch of times. Let that set, and then do it again.  After that, fire it back up and see what you have.  You might be surprised. 

I have the same unit, same cabinet, and I still need to rebuild mine.  It's nice to hear what it can sound like.  Thanks for the U-tube link.

Bill

AC207

• 207-450-7299
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2020, 08:13:34 AM »
Hi Adam,

I will reinforce what Chris said, the speaker switches are notorious for causing problems.  Take some DeoxIT and spray the heck out of that switch, then rotate it back and forth a bunch of times. Let that set, and then do it again.  After that, fire it back up and see what you have.  You might be surprised. 

I have the same unit, same cabinet, and I still need to rebuild mine.  It's nice to hear what it can sound like.  Thanks for the U-tube link.

Bill
Thanks, Bill!  I figure it will sound twice as good once I get both channels working  ;) 
I'll hit it with Deoxit tonight before band practice.

Adam
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.

AC207

• 207-450-7299
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2020, 05:49:50 PM »
Decided to leave work a little early to mess with the console... first step was swap the power tubes... same issue persisted.  I then took the wood panel covering the speakers that weren't working... wouldn't you, a little green wire was not where it should have been- I connected it and boom- music from both sides!

I'll post another short video later with some era appropriate music... but I was genuinely excited to hear how wonderful this sounds!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2020, 07:47:27 PM »
Are both amplifiers dead on that channel?  Both the treble amp and the bass amp?  If this is the case, the problem is ahead of the amp.  That thing has 6EU7's in the tuner.  Those things are always suspect.  If one of the amps is working, then you need to look at tubes and run some voltage checks to see what's going on.  Those things can be cantankerous, but they are not complicated.  Make sure you clean the function switch, then clean it again.  Those things are notorious for dirty contacts that totally kill on side.  It's more common to only kill one amp.  Same for all the tone control switches and the external speaker switch.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

AC207

• 207-450-7299
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2020, 08:39:45 PM »
Are both amplifiers dead on that channel?  Both the treble amp and the bass amp?  If this is the case, the problem is ahead of the amp.  That thing has 6EU7's in the tuner.  Those things are always suspect.  If one of the amps is working, then you need to look at tubes and run some voltage checks to see what's going on.  Those things can be cantankerous, but they are not complicated.  Make sure you clean the function switch, then clean it again.  Those things are notorious for dirty contacts that totally kill on side.  It's more common to only kill one amp.  Same for all the tone control switches and the external speaker switch.

As of right now, all speakers and both channels are functioning! AM, FM, FM AFC and Tape all working. FM MPX not doing much so I'll need to check caps and tubes on that section next- but elated that I'm getting clean sound!  I'll go completely through the changer before worrying too much about lack of output from there... but at least it spins. 

Here is a short video with some era specific Sinatra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyinqUHbE1M

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2020, 10:50:42 PM »
Did you determine what was causing the dead channel?
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

AC207

• 207-450-7299
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2020, 06:06:23 AM »
Yes, I pulled the wood panel covering the speakers that weren't working and found one of the speaker leads was disconnected from the woofer. Re-attached and got sound immediately.  Really glad it was easy.  Next step is MPX adapter as that doesn't appear to be functioning- however, the SAM's I have for that doesn't seem to have MPX- is there something I'm missing?

AC207

• 207-450-7299
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2020, 09:08:45 AM »
Yes, I pulled the wood panel covering the speakers that weren't working and found one of the speaker leads was disconnected from the woofer. Re-attached and got sound immediately.  Really glad it was easy.  Next step is MPX adapter as that doesn't appear to be functioning- however, the SAM's I have for that doesn't seem to have MPX- is there something I'm missing?
Update- I did find the MPX schematic in the downloads section under Magnificent Magnavox and then Service Manuals and Schematics - Tuners/Preamplifiers