Author Topic: Mono/Stereo Phono Selector  (Read 280 times)

JohnAZ

• View Profile
Mono/Stereo Phono Selector
« on: March 04, 2018, 08:57:06 PM »
I have a '63 Custom Electra VI and was wondering why they have a mono phono selection when you can play mono records on the stereo setting. Is there any benefit to listening to a mono record on mono instead of the stereo setting? Thank you.

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Mono/Stereo Phono Selector
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 09:19:57 PM »
Using the mono option makes the cartridge respond to only the horizontal stylus motion, not the vertical.  Stereo information requires both horizontal and vertical information (each channel at 45 degrees).  By switching to mono you get less noise from crud and from scratches.  On mono records it's a big improvement--or on beat-up stereo records.

Chris Campbell

JohnAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 09:26:47 PM »
Using the mono option makes the cartridge respond to only the horizontal stylus motion, not the vertical.  Stereo information requires both horizontal and vertical information (each channel at 45 degrees).  By switching to mono you get less noise from crud and from scratches.  On mono records it's a big improvement--or on beat-up stereo records.

Chris Campbell
That makes sense. Thank you for the reply!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 11:36:51 AM »
Utilizing the "mono" setting may also help to eliminate FM drift and hash on certain stations.  The early FM stereo tuners may not adequately demodulate the current digital FM stereo signals. 
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.