Author Topic: Tubes, an Amp and More  (Read 1733 times)

AC207

• View Profile
Tubes, an Amp and More
« on: March 10, 2018, 05:36:20 PM »
A friend of mine was cleaning out his dad's house (preparing for sale) and came across a bunch of tubes, replacement needles and other random electronic paraphernalia. As he is aware of my recent vintage console affliction, he gave them to me. 

While I haven't tested anything yet, a number appear to be brand new.  Let me know what you all think.

** I've tried posting several times with pics but will try this without and will add photos after.**
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.

AC207

• View Profile
Re: Tubes, an Amp and More
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 05:44:52 PM »
Tubes!

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 06:05:41 PM »
Needles and Catridges

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 06:27:50 PM »
The Amp- can anyone help me identify this, please?

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 09:00:16 PM »
I don't recognize the amp.  Are those 6V6's I see? 

Bill

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 09:15:28 PM »
I don't recognize the amp.  Are those 6V6's I see? 

Bill
Honestly, I haven't even taken a close look at the tubes or the amp!  I'll check.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 10:39:25 PM »
That amp looks to have a 5Y3 rectifier, P-P 6V6 audio output, a couple 6SC7 phase inverters and perhaps a 6SJ7 amp.  I don't see a function switch or an output transformer.  The feet on the amp appear to have been bolted into a cabinet.  Perhaps this is an amp from a record player of some kind.  The knobs look like ones on a Wells-Gardner produced Airline radio I have.  May not be original to the amp, though.  And my Airline radio may not have the correct knobs.  I would keep those tubes.  Not much strictly TV stuff in there, and some usable audio and radio tubes.  Nice score.  Enjoy!   :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 11:00:31 PM »
That amp looks to have a 5Y3 rectifier, P-P 6V6 audio output, a couple 6SC7 phase inverters and perhaps a 6SJ7 amp.  I don't see a function switch or an output transformer.  The feet on the amp appear to have been bolted into a cabinet.  Perhaps this is an amp from a record player of some kind.  The knobs look like ones on a Wells-Gardner produced Airline radio I have.  May not be original to the amp, though.  And my Airline radio may not have the correct knobs.  I would keep those tubes.  Not much strictly TV stuff in there, and some usable audio and radio tubes.  Nice score.  Enjoy!   :)
There is an output transformer- if you look toward the top of the photo to the left of the power plug.  It's attached by wires but not bolted onto the chassis.

I took a closer look at the tubes but didn't see see any reference to 6V6... but tomorrow I'll take a look at each with a clear mind. :)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 11:25:22 PM »
I posted a reply earlier but it didn't go apparently.  My first thought when I saw the tube caddy was that it would be all TV tubes--but you've got a bunch of useful ones for old-audio work.  And that little amp must have 6V6s in P-P.  A cache of styli is always welcome, although the cartridges are probably dead (why they were removed).  Great find!

Chris Campbell

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 09:53:31 AM »
A better pic of some of the tubes.

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 02:15:09 PM »
The amplifier looks like it could be a RCA.  The knobs remind me of the old 45 RPM players that had them on the side.  There is a RS-126 chassis in Sam's index by RCA, but I don't have an associated schematic.  Sam's shows it to be around 1947-48 time frame which is just before the 45RPM players came out (1949).
You might want to see if there is any numbers on the transformers to identify it as well.

Steve

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 06:51:53 PM »
    Just guessing---an RCA PA amp  ????   I think RCA because they would have used their metal tubes, not Sylvania's and Philco's loctals. The 6SJ7 or 6SC7, the one with the shock mounted tube socket, could be a microphone preamp stage. They gave a 6SJ7 circuit for microphone pre-amp in their late forties tube manual. If it was a 6SC7 that was shock mounted, I would guess an early magnetic cartridge phono preamp but I have never seen an RC A of that vintage that used a magnetic preamp. GE did because it was their cartridge that came out in the late forties. They had a 6SC7 preamp circuit with grounded cathode(s) grid resistors in the Megohm region with coupling capacitors to provide contact bias and passive circuit parts for LP curve compensation. Two of the pots have switches so maybe one of them is power, the other one mike/phono or pre-amp/high level input.
           the other reason I think it's RCA is that RCA punched metal spurs in their chassis as tie points for solder grounds and I see one of those punch points next to the shock mounted tube. 

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 06:58:00 PM »
I forgot to add---my old RCA 9 tube radio, the one I've seen as an avatar, had those same yellow-brown live rubber grommet shock mounts under the chassis

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 08:02:50 PM »
I've got a couple nice little RCA 6V6 amps from the early 1950s.  Each is identified as SVP-10 and MI-12198 (not sure why they have two ID numbers).  The tube complement is 6SC7, 6SF5, 6S7, and then 6V6 x 2, with  a 5Y3 rectifier.  It has a magnetic cartridge input with separate jacks for "low" and "high."  It was paired with a Miracord changer with a GE VR-II cartridge.  The output transformer is under the chassis. I'll include a photo.

Chris Campbell

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 11:01:44 PM »
        Is that a blue hammertone finish on the chassis, and are those knobs a medium blue color ?    Because once in the early 70's I saw a hi-fi RCA chassis very similar stylewise to yours except it was an FM-AM tuner-preamp combination but I can't remember if had its own power supply or got its filament and plate voltage from an RCA power amplifier chassis. Except for the blue color it looked like it could have been a Fisher or Pilot or Harmon-Karden
      The unit you have looks like a whole different level of quality than a chassis from an RCA radio-phono, although I have never seen the Berkshire model I hear so much about. Your unit looks like something you would see from Grommes or Bogen. These makes seemed to not believe in unfinished chassis metal and had nice baked enamel looking finishes with pretty colors that seemed part of their trademarks. The RCA unit I saw had a front panel but the shafts of the pots were extra long as if they intended them for custom installation in quality wood cabinets. It had the old RCA circular symbol of chrome I think with red enamel fill in the recesses.
         The entire MI series of RCA is a mystery to me. I don't know if they were made in a separate plant and who they were advertised for. I think their loudspeakers had MI designations too. I've seen ads in late forties Audio Engineering magazines for specific broadcast thing such as 16 incn transcription tables, or unit pre-amps and monitor amplifiers that slid into power supply drawers. I had an RCA power amp with 4 807s 2 5R4s, 2 0D3 VR tubes, and a 6SL7. It had a long terminal strip across the front for AC  power, speakers, power to other units, and line level input. All the underchassis  wiring was fiberglass insulated color coded beautifully laced aand every solder joint had a red dot of enamel from an inspector, I guess. Oil filter capacitor, and I think teminal board mounting for all components, and I think tropicalized coating. It was dull red, not blue, so I guess it was another entire line of products although it had an MI part number.
        I'd love to know more about all of RCAs various line of audio products.