Author Topic: found a console the wife actually likes, originally just a cabinet  (Read 624 times)

firedome

• View Profile
This week's CL find is a console that SWMBO will actually allow in the living room!
It's been a challenge to find something acceptable for quite some time now, the nice Barzilay we found a few months ago was just too large for a 12 x 17 living room, so it got sold.

Her criterion was a light wood with simple lines that would blend well with a 7' long teak sideboard, decor's her thing and any console had to fit in with it. We looked at a solid state Symphonic console that came close but at 6' it was bigger than she wanted. Just this week one came available that will fit, finally, a late '60s Ethan Allen stereo cabinet with a single separate speaker cabinet.

Vintage Ethan Aleen solid rock maple, made in Vermont. The owner had passed away and the son, in his late 40s or so, said the cabinet had been emptied of it's former (unknown) components years ago and had been used with an all-in-one plastic "stereo" like a SoundDesign  (ugh) :-( , with the exception of an old non-working record player that had been left in place.

The wife likes the color, simple lines with louvered doors, and the fact that it's only 40 inches long for flexible placement. The empty speaker cabinet could have a newer, smaller speaker installed, and the main cabinet can house another matching speaker of small enough size. We already have an old Scott amp & tuner that will fit, and a working turntable to replace the old non-working Garrard.  So it's just 2 empty cabinets, basically, but with an unusual speaker configuration, and it's quite well made.   

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
Re: found a console the wife actually likes, originally just a cabinet
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 07:55:52 AM »
Very nice. I had no idea Ethan Allen was that old. They had one at an local antique mall forever but i never even considered it because I thought it was new. Wish i would of got it now.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »
Ethan Allen has been around for years and years.  My parents dinning room table and hutch was Ethan Allen as well as some other furniture.  Very well built stuff.  I never knew they built stereo cabinets.

Bill

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 03:36:42 PM »
I'd never seen a similar Ethan Allen cabinet, the company itself started in the '30s, and still does have some US plants. Very high quality, especially the old stuff. We have an Ethan Allen chest dresser ca. the '50s at our Vermont summer camp, also a very solid piece. Was very happy to find one of this size to shoehorn into our small living room. Pic of the Scott that will go within.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 10:48:13 PM »
I've got a Scott 222 out in the garage awaiting restoration.  It was in a custom (i.e., home-made) enclosure of some kind in a second hand store so I snagged just the amp.  That was when nobody but eccentrics like me wanted tube amps.  It was all Sold State!!! Half a gazillion watts!!!   Harmonic distortion, .0000001%!!  I think the vendor was happy to get the amp ot so he could sell the case as a bookshelf or something.  It certainly wasn't Ethan Allen.

Chris Campbell

AstroSonic100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 01:52:46 PM »
I have an Ethan Allen desk with a hutch on top.  Half the bottom shelf is for record storage which came in handy.  The base looks identical to your stereo cabinet.  They had a whole series of furniture based on that design.  Most had similar bases that were configured differently and had a bookcase hutch on top.  From what I remember, they even made a corner unit so you could buy all the different pieces and line them all up along two walls.

Our local Ethan Allen store ended up becoming an antique mall.  They used the old Ethan Allen display rooms to display mid century futniture along with very high prices for Magnavox and other brands of consoles.  They have a late 60s Magnavox Imperial going for around $1200.  Supposedly they have been serviced.  The signal seeking function worked only on FM.  It couldn't find any stations on the AM band and we have a 50,000 watt talk radio AM station (KFBK) just outside of Sacramento.

The antique mall have an electronics repair shop in what use to be the warehouse in the back.  They supposedly restore all the consoles themselves.  I'm not impressed with their work.
Ray

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 05:20:51 PM »
Looks good.    ;)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 02:54:18 PM »
I've got a Scott 222 out in the garage awaiting restoration.  It was in a custom (i.e., home-made) enclosure of some kind in a second hand store so I snagged just the amp.  That was when nobody but eccentrics like me wanted tube amps.  It was all Sold State!!! Half a gazillion watts!!!   Harmonic distortion, .0000001%!!  I think the vendor was happy to get the amp ot so he could sell the case as a bookshelf or something.  It certainly wasn't Ethan Allen.

Chris Campbell

I also have a Scott 222, but it looks a few years older than Firedome's. It has push-pull 6BQ5 outputs. Like yours, it needs restoration but I used it for years until it told me it was tired.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Tedrick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 04:56:13 PM »
That is a beautiful console! I wonder what components were in it -- perhaps Ethan Allen dabbled in the console market for awhile?
I love those louver front consoles --