Author Topic: RCA 45 record player  (Read 1424 times)

Bill

• View Profile
RCA 45 record player
« on: April 05, 2018, 01:38:19 PM »
Does anyone have a Sam's or service info for a model 6-EY-3A RCA 45 record player?  This thing followed me home so I thought I would try and make it work.

Thanks,
Bill

ey

electra225

• View Profile
Re: RCA 45 record player
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 07:27:24 PM »
Larry H. is the RCA man.  Hopefully, he will be able to help you out.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 08:42:55 PM »
Nope he can't help, I already asked.

Bill

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 12:10:54 PM »

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 02:50:45 PM »
Thank you Ken!   

Bill

Bill

• View Profile
RCA 45
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 10:18:24 AM »
This thread will continue from my first thread asking for a schematic on my RCA 45 model 6-EY-3A.  Thanks to Ken Doyle for finding and providing the schematic. 

The reason for the schematic is my amp has an odd capacitor that was added at some point. It's a new style radial electrolytic 470uf 400 volt.  All caps were factory original when I started.  I have replaced all but the can cap, 80/20 uf,  and that will happen as soon as I know what the odd cap is for.  According to the schematic this new cap is not supposed to be there.  I should add that a quick try before I started any rebuild gave me sound only at full volume with my ear at the speaker. I do have a new cartridge coming from Gary at VM.  I inquired with a PM to Larry, Mr. RCA, and he wanted me to do a thread with pictures.  If anyone out there has any ideas or maybe a parts list for this unit I would appreciate it. 

Thank you!

Bill

Bill

• View Profile
RCA 45 photos
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 10:20:53 AM »
For some reason the photos didn't work so I'm trying again.

Bill

Bill

• View Profile
RCA 45 photos
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 10:21:44 AM »
One more photo.

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
Re: RCA 45 photos
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 03:45:12 PM »
Is the big black cap on the end by the rectifier the 470 mic you have been wondering about?  Does the rectifier test good, or are you planning on replacing it with a diode?  I'd say the 470 mic was a kluge of some kind, thus unnecessary, but I'll yield to whatever Larry advises.  Looks good so far to me otherwise.  When is the first test drive?
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 05:09:57 PM »
That's the one.  Have not tested the rectifier yet.  in my PM to Larry he said it was not original.  Test drive coming soon......I hope with success.

Bill

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 05:59:53 PM »
Unless that radial electrolytic capacitor is an 80 or a 20, it doesn't belong there.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 06:08:29 PM »
The odd value electrolytic may not hurt anything.  I would test it first without removing it to see how the set sounds.  Some hi tech might have thought it provides better filtering and a cleaner sound...wouldn't hurt to find out.  It is a radial electrolytic and looks fairly new.

It's possible that a repair person replaced the electrolytic can at some point, and there was still a bit of hum in the amp, so he added the extra electrolytic to quieten it further....
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 06:10:36 PM »
Got it, Larry.  I suggested Bill ask you about it.  You are the RCA guru and I wondered if that big cap was a retrofit of some kind, or maybe you could offer a reason it might be there.  470 mic is lots of capacitance for a record player amp.  I had never heard of a high voltage cap with that high of a value.  I learned that this value is used in older TV sets.  Thanks for setting us straight.   :)

Larry, do you automatically can the selenium rectifier in an RCA record player amp?

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 06:13:50 PM »
Got it, Larry.  I suggested Bill ask you about it.  You are the RCA guru and I wondered if that big cap was a retrofit of some kind, or maybe you could offer a reason it might be there.  470 mic is lots of capacitance for a record player amp.  I had never heard of a high voltage cap with that high of a value.  I learned that this value is used in older TV sets.  Thanks for setting us straight.   :)
Greg, the only electrolytics RCA installed in this little amp are the 80/20- 150-volt electrolytics inside that metal can.

Bill, the big square looking part attached to the positive of the selenium rectifier is that 47 ohm resistor (R6)...likely a 5 watt variety.
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 06:21:02 PM »
Bill and I had talked about that big cap.  It is in the audio (6AV6) circuit, so I was wondering if someone decided it would eliminate oscillation or hum, or maybe it would help bass response.  470 mic is a pretty high value.  If they put it there for cathode bypass, in the instance of a leaky output filter cap, that might make sense.  I was wondering if it would be a better effort to eliminate that big cap then install a real cathode bypass cap and resistor and see what that did for performance.  What do you think?

R5, a 150 ohm resistor is used as cathode bypass for the 25L6.  What if, say, a 25uf @50 volt cap was paralleled with R5 to serve as a cathode bypass cap?