Author Topic: Hello from Georgia  (Read 391 times)

Junkcollector

• View Profile
Hello from Georgia
« on: April 25, 2018, 08:41:44 PM »
Hello to all,

I have an addiction for old audio equipment. Guess there could be worse things. Anyways I joined this forum in hopes of learning more about the stuff I collect. At the moment I have a Magnavox console from 1968 or 69. I am hoping to lean more about restoring it. I acquired it from an Uncle. He got his brother who worked for Magnavox to purchase it for him. So when I got it the phonograph didn't work. I tried cleaning and re lubing. Got it going. I didn't have a place for it. So I gave to a friend that was into records. She had about a year and a half. Now not working again. So this time I want to just go through it completely. Well I will be posting photos as I go. I have already gutted the thing. I am changing the speaker cloth hopefully. If I can find some I like. I was going to refinish the wood exterior. But I may not. I oiled it this afternoon. We will see how that goes in a few days. Wish me luck. Hope I wasn't too long winded. Now if I can figure out how to post some photos.

Junkcollector

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Georgia
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 08:52:08 PM »
Welcome!

Not too long winded at all!  :)  Sounds like you have an Astro-sonic Magnavox and we for sure want a few photos.  Do you have a model number?

As far as posting photos:  just below the posting box is a red plus and the words Attachments and other options, click that and it will open up for posting.  From that point it's pretty much like any other attachment. You are allowed 6 per post but can always open up another post and add photos.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Bill

Junkcollector

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 09:11:15 PM »
Hello Bill,
  I have the model number. It is a model 1P3913 with pecan finish. It has a lot of plastic fake wood grills on it. I like the looks of the older ones better. But this one I know the history of it. Kinda hoping the person I am repairing it for will tell me to keep it. But I really don't have room for it.

Junkcollector

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 09:17:10 PM »
As we all tend to say at sometime or another:......"I don't have room for another one." That's as we unload one from the truck and carry it into the house.  :)  There's always room for one more!

Bill

Junkcollector

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 09:23:43 PM »
Bill that is the way I think. But I would have to keep it in storage. I may buy another one later. If the right one comes along. I would like an early 60's model.

Junkcollector

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »
Welcome Aboard! 

There's always room for one more!  ;D
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 05:11:41 PM »
I agree there is always room for just one more.  Then another.  Then ten more.   ;)
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 06:31:41 PM »
Late 50's early 60's as long as it's tube.  Everyone needs at least one tube set or is it 10 tube sets, I get that confused.  ::)

Bill

Junkcollector

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 06:46:11 PM »
I get easily confused also. Must be age!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 06:48:19 PM »
With me it's age!  You sound like a young guy.   :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 07:25:50 PM »
Ten.  AT LEAST ten tube sets, Bill.  At least..... ;)
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Junkcollector

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 08:16:54 PM »
Maybe I just don't pay attention. But I tend to forget a lot of stuff.

Junkcollector

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 08:26:35 PM »
I've always favored the "room for one more" theory.  But now I've reached the limits of available storage.  I've been trying to give away a Victor R-52 cabinet that I rescued for free.  I've got an RE-45, the model with the phonograph, so I recognized the cabinet and didn't want to see it scrapped.  It had been turned into a bar, of course.  I'm hoping somebody has the innards from another bar project and will want this.  Then there might be room for one more. 

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 05:58:52 PM »
Chris,

I have found that putting something by the curb with free on it works wonders.  It's usually repurposed by someone that has the idea, "that would look cool if it did this."  It sure saves on the landfill.

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 06:08:24 PM »
But my plan is to get it in the hands of somebody with R-52 innards.

Chris