Author Topic: What tubes do you hoard?  (Read 1652 times)

choppinrice

• View Profile
Re: What tubes do you hoard?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 12:18:53 PM »
Now we're getting somewhere. Thank you so much.

What would be a good inexpensive tube tester that does the bigger tubes too (6y6 type size etc)?

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 07:32:01 PM »
There are two general kinds--a transconductance tester and an emission tester.  The former tests the tube in something approximating actual service.  The latter tests total emission with the grids and plate all tied together--a much less discriminating test.  I've got a couple emissions tester-- a Heathkit I bought when I was a poor student, and an almost-identical Knight tester that I found for a few bucks at a second-hand store.  I've seen the same device under other labels too.  It tells me whether a tube is dead or alive and maybe if it's shorted.  Putting in circuit tells me if the tube works in that service.  If you find a cheap transconductance tester (that's working or repairable), buy it.  Otherwise, be like me and buy a cheaper emissions tester and be happy with it.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 08:00:27 AM »
Greg,

You guess it!   ;)

Bill

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 09:22:45 AM »
Here's another list of tubes that are supposed to be useful in audio.  I think some of them are TV sweep tubes.  I'm sure there are repeats from the ones already listed.

5U4 (All Variants)
5Y3WGTA
6AQ5A
6BQ7
6CG7
6EJ7
6EM5
6EM7
6GE5
6GJ5
6GU7
6HB5
6HF5
6HS6 (Not Really Audio But Rather Rare And Expensive)
6JC6
6JG6
6JH5
6JK5
6JM6
6JN6
6J6
6KD6
6KG6A
6KM6
6LR8
6MD8
6T10
6U10
6X5GT
6Y6GA

choppinrice

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 03:11:21 PM »
I'm seeing that the tubes that start with 6 and a couple 12's make up the list. Does this mean the other numbers and I mean there are a crap load of others numbers are not used for HIFI? Is there a code to the numbers? It seams I bought the stock from a old service center that closed years ago as there are not just tubes but also resistors bulbs diodes etc in here. I will never shop on Pain meds again. I'm much better off shopping on Ambien LOL.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 09:21:52 PM »
The American standard developed using the filament voltage as the first digits--6, 12, 35, 50, etc.  In series-string (non-power-transformer) radios and amps, the filament voltages add up to about 120 unless there's a ballast resistor in the series.  They all have to have the same current rating because the same current flows through all of them.  Devices with a power transformer would have tubes with the same voltage rating (or use center-tapped 12 volt tubes). On those, the rectifier was usually a 5-volt tube (not sure why). They have to have a separate filament winding because of the design of the HV B+ power supply.  Earlier tubes were usually two digits and I'm not sure they meant anything.  Europeans used different conventions, and then later we develop tubes with 4-digit designations (7591 outputs, anybody?).

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 07:00:10 AM »
I have to ask Choppinrice, where are you going to put them all? 

Bill

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 08:51:46 AM »
Some old Fisher power amps used 5V3 rectifiers and EL37 outputs. They were in some Fisher Presidents. Their FM tuners sometimes had 6CW4s Nuvistors as RF amplifiers and converters. Some old preamps had 12AY7 low noise tubes. My Magnavox CR195 ?  has a 6AB7 high transconductance pentode. Luckily, it seems Magnavox's only "bad" tube they picked as far as uncommon or problems goes was the 6EU7 which has a unique pinout compared to 12AX7. The 6CY5 FM RF amplifier tube is unique but at least a lot of TV tuners had it too at one time. 
      I had some thousands of tubes at one time but I had to get out of my house fast and was feeling too low to save them or a lot of other things I should have. Even the 17DQ6's and 3AL5s may suddenly find a use. Tubes are the perfect thing to save for posterity----they're all vacuum sealed, after all !

choppinrice

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 12:30:56 PM »
I have to ask Choppinrice, where are you going to put them all? 

Bill

This is my problem. I have no place to store them long term so I have to sort them all out pulling what I may need in the future and sell off the rest online. I may keep some of the really strange ones for wall art as they look like little space ships.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 02:42:07 PM »
Good luck with it all!

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 10:54:25 PM »
Some old Fisher power amps used 5V3 rectifiers and EL37 outputs. They were in some Fisher Presidents. Their FM tuners sometimes had 6CW4s Nuvistors as RF amplifiers and converters.

I found out about the Fisher use of Nuvistors by experience. A great curbside find a few years back was a Fisher 600-T (for Transistor!!) receiver.  I hauled it home and plugged it in, expecting it to fire right up--being solid-state and all.  But... nothing at all on FM.  So I started rocking switches and tapping on things and then the FM signal gradually became audible.  I looked inside and figured it out.  It's all transistors EXCEPT for those front-end Nuvistors, and it took a few moments for them to warm up. 

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 06:27:27 AM »
Why would someone through that away?

Bill

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 01:59:54 PM »
Some old Fisher power amps used 5V3 rectifiers and EL37 outputs. They were in some Fisher Presidents. Their FM tuners sometimes had 6CW4s Nuvistors as RF amplifiers and converters.

I found out about the Fisher use of Nuvistors by experience. A great curbside find a few years back was a Fisher 600-T (for Transistor!!) receiver.  I hauled it home and plugged it in, expecting it to fire right up--being solid-state and all.  But... nothing at all on FM.  So I started rocking switches and tapping on things and then the FM signal gradually became audible.  I looked inside and figured it out.  It's all transistors EXCEPT for those front-end Nuvistors, and it took a few moments for them to warm up. 

Chris Campbell

HH Scott Stereomaster 344 used a nuvistor for FM rf amp, other wise an early SS receiver and super-easy to restore. The 344B used an FET for that stage.

+2 Im with Bill, what fool would toss any pre-Sanyo Fisher in the trash????
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 02:34:37 PM »
Where would this hobby be if people did not throw perfectly good stuff away?  Where would we get what to collect?  One man's trash is another man's treasure.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 08:21:10 PM »
Oh so true!

Bill