Author Topic: 1961 MOTOROLA DREXEL SK76WA CONSOLE FIND  (Read 503 times)

xonkism

• View Profile
1961 MOTOROLA DREXEL SK76WA CONSOLE FIND
« on: May 17, 2018, 05:58:01 PM »
super stoked to have this 61 motorola drexel sk76wa console now in my house! In near perfect condition and every function working! all Ive done so far is clean it. I will delve into the internals tomorrow, so have not even looked inside yet. this beast sounds unreal, and from I have gathered, is running 6 6V6 tubes on board. wow! can't wait to get into it and check it out for myself. 

Bill

• View Profile
Re: 1961 MOTOROLA DREXEL SK76WA CONSOLE FIND
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 08:16:52 PM »
Wow, that is one beautiful Motorola!  It looks brand new, unlike my SK52W that looks like it was backed over by a semi.  Mine is a 1960 and uses six 6BM8 tubes. 

For all you Motorola guru's I have a question:  All companies had many shapes, sizes, models, etc. and Motorola was no exception.  I also know that the Drexel cabinet was probably top of the line.  So what chassis was top of the line and what models did you find them in?  This Sk76AW looks to be pretty impressive.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 08:54:40 PM »
Tbat's a very handsome device. Send along some photos of the electronics when you have time.

Chris Campbell

MotorolaNut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:56:50 PM »
Wow, that's a beauty! :D  I have one just like that in my dining room. It's a three-channel model with a 12" center woofer and the Vibrasonic spring reverb. It's also part of the Declaration line of furniture, which has become quite collectible. If you are interested in such things, there are record cabinets and consoles out there that would coordinate with your Hi-Fi.

From my records, your SK76 has the HS-963 amplifier and HS-964 pre-amp and tuner. In addition, I believe you have a 1962 model - 1961 was a carryover from 1960 in terms of the models that were promoted. Look in the Attachments Center - there's a 1961 phonograph guide from Billboard that I just uploaded - and you can see what Motorola models were available that year.

Again, this is one of my favorite consoles and you'll get lots out of it - AM/FM, records, cd playback through the stereo tape inputs on the back. You can even put a Bluetooth on it as well - that was a big deal for my wife when she could play her music on it. 8)

When you clean off the innards, you'll see a date code on the amp near the fuse. I would expect it to read Fall 1961 (when the 1962 models were introduced) or 1962. And while you're at it, you may want to inspect your capacitors (and most likely replace them - especially the electrolytic ones which have probably dried out by now). You'll be surprised how much better your console will sound.

If you have any questions, ask away. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum to help you out.

Greg

xonkism

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 01:55:25 PM »
Wow, that's a beauty! :D  I have one just like that in my dining room. It's a three-channel model with a 12" center woofer and the Vibrasonic spring reverb. It's also part of the Declaration line of furniture, which has become quite collectible. If you are interested in such things, there are record cabinets and consoles out there that would coordinate with your Hi-Fi.

From my records, your SK76 has the HS-963 amplifier and HS-964 pre-amp and tuner. In addition, I believe you have a 1962 model - 1961 was a carryover from 1960 in terms of the models that were promoted. Look in the Attachments Center - there's a 1961 phonograph guide from Billboard that I just uploaded - and you can see what Motorola models were available that year.

Again, this is one of my favorite consoles and you'll get lots out of it - AM/FM, records, cd playback through the stereo tape inputs on the back. You can even put a Bluetooth on it as well - that was a big deal for my wife when she could play her music on it. 8)

When you clean off the innards, you'll see a date code on the amp near the fuse. I would expect it to read Fall 1961 (when the 1962 models were introduced) or 1962. And while you're at it, you may want to inspect your capacitors (and most likely replace them - especially the electrolytic ones which have probably dried out by now). You'll be surprised how much better your console will sound.

If you have any questions, ask away. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum to help you out.

Greg
thanks for the info, greg! It appears that you're dead on as far as the date is concerned, and the amp #! If I'm reading this correctly, it is dated 9AA61. this unit is operating perfectly, and I had to only replace the idler wheel. I visually inspected the caps on the amp and they all appear ok. nothing glaring. I havent figured out yet on how to get the tuner section out. I will do some more research before attempting it. I am going to load some interior shots if you want to take a look. thanks again!

xonkism

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 01:56:26 PM »
Tbat's a very handsome device. Send along some photos of the electronics when you have time.

Chris Campbell
thanks! loaded some new photos of the interior. take a look when you get a chance.

xonkism

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 02:03:21 PM »
here are some new pix of the interior of this unit. seems to have been manufactured in september of 61. Ive just cleaned and deoxited it and replaced the idler wheel. some more in depth work is forthcoming, but it is operating perfectly now! thanks for all the input. this group is a wealth of information!

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 11:05:54 PM »
Wow, the innards are super-clean after all these years, either that or you've done an obsessive clean-up.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 06:24:29 AM »
Very impressive!  I wish I could take a listen.

Bill

xonkism

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 11:14:52 AM »
Wow, the innards are super-clean after all these years, either that or you've done an obsessive clean-up.

Chris Campbell

yep, cleaned it really good. I will be removing the tuner section and doing the same to it soon. many projects, not enough time...

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 02:44:16 PM »
Wow, that is one beautiful Motorola!  It looks brand new, unlike my SK52W that looks like it was backed over by a semi.  Mine is a 1960 and uses six 6BM8 tubes. 

For all you Motorola guru's I have a question:  All companies had many shapes, sizes, models, etc. and Motorola was no exception.  I also know that the Drexel cabinet was probably top of the line.  So what chassis was top of the line and what models did you find them in?  This Sk76AW looks to be pretty impressive.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

If I had to answer based on helpful information posted mainly on this site, I would say the three-channel amp using 6x6V6 tubes is the best amp. My 1964 last tubed model has this amp, carried over from 1962 and 1963 HS-1048 design. The 1963 price list helps confirm this.

Though it is true that, to get the advertised 17 watts from each pair of 6V6, it requires them to be driven a bit harder than Magnavox p-p 6V6 designs. If there is a higher number of hours on the amp, those tubes may be weak like they were on my SK112. You'll know this not from a tube tester but from how close the cathode voltages are to the Sams schematic value of 20 volts. This value decreases slightly as the tubes age.

I have a lower-priced phono-only model SK-107, that has a 10" woofer. I believe it is the entry-level 3-channel model with a P-P 6V6 bass channel and two single-ended 6BQ5 for left and right channels. The tubes are weak and I'm just getting back to restoring the amp.

I have noticed the 1959 stereo 2ch -1960 stereophonic 3ch models used mainly 6BQ5 tubes. Bill, your amp is a bit of a departure using the European 6BM8 tubes and I cant wait to hear what you think of it.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 07:52:29 PM »
Thanks David for your input.  I have not started any rebuild yet on the Motorola but I'm working my way in that direction.  That maybe my fall project.  :)

Bill

MotorolaNut

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 07:37:28 PM »
Hey, great innards. Not just clean but pristine :). Must have been living these past decades in a controlled environment - say a living room or dining room.

I also see you still have the original cross-over electrolytic capacitors for your speakers. Service manual says they should be 2.5 uF non-polarized.  They've probably dried out by now. Replace those (its fast and easy) and you will be amazed how much better it'll sound ;)

Greg

xonkism

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 09:09:13 PM »
Hey, great innards. Not just clean but pristine :). Must have been living these past decades in a controlled environment - say a living room or dining room.

I also see you still have the original cross-over electrolytic capacitors for your speakers. Service manual says they should be 2.5 uF non-polarized.  They've probably dried out by now. Replace those (its fast and easy) and you will be amazed how much better it'll sound ;)

Greg

My next project is just this! we have been listening to this one every night, and it sounds unbelievable across a wide array of music. best sounding console I own, even amongst the fishers...