Author Topic: My Atomic Blonde Motorola Stereo Console SK28B  (Read 984 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: My Atomic Blonde Motorola Stereo Console SK28B
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 03:01:42 PM »
The SK-28 sockets are black molded and more appropriate for a hot-running output tube like the 6BQ5/EL84.

Your SK52 is like my SK17 which has the brown wafer-type. You can squeeze the contacts together with a needle-nose pliers to make them tight again but that is the only advantage of wafers.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

heats00

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 04:18:57 PM »
I second the replacement of the wafer sockets.  I had 2 separate sockets have terminals break off during my recap of the amp in my SK16W, and decided since I was already there that it was the perfect time to replace them.  I used these. https://www.tubedepot.com/products/belton-9-pin-miniature-chassis-mount-socket-bottom-mount  It did require some additional reworking of the wiring as you will lose 1 terminal used as a tie point on each socket, but that was minimal work on my amp.

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 11:14:00 PM »
    If only one pin is broken off you can replace just that pin by de-soldering the pin with solder wick, squeezing the pin with needle-nose pliers until it is straight and the little barbs that stick out are flush with the rest of the pin. Then the pin will slide out and another one from another similar socket can be slid in. Just bending it  little will keep it from retracting with the tube as it is pushed in or out.
          It is easier on an octal socket if you want to practice first, but the method is the same. I think the black sockets with those semicircular grabbers are the best at grabbing pins, the sockets with the two parallel sides seem to always get weak then intermittent. There are mica sockets, light brown, and white ceramic steatite sockets , all with the semicircular grabbers.