Author Topic: Hello from Lexington, SC  (Read 754 times)

currykendrickl

• View Profile
Hello from Lexington, SC
« on: May 22, 2018, 08:47:30 PM »
Hey Everyone,

As the subject says I am from Lexington, South Carolina. I have recently acquired a console stereo from my grandmother, that actually belonged to my grandfather before he passed about 10 years ago. I am not sure what brand it is since it is not labled, it has a BSR UA-25 turntable and a Delmonico solid state radio. It is in pretty rough shape but i love antiques and this was very highly prized by my grandfather. It is 45+ years old, my grandmother says its about 50 years old since they bought it new once purchasing the house. I know very little about the mechanisms except that it has dirty contacts on the radio and was told the turntable would only need a needle but I believe it will need more. The consoles back is exposed so it is very dusty and dirty but ive cleaned it as best I could for now. I want to stain it but with the large chips and everything I do not know if it is practical, I bought stain-able filler but am not sure exactly how stain-able it is. I have attached some pictures but really looking for any tips or advice if I should strip, sand, fill, and re-stain or just to clean up the components. Also the condition of the turntable or help with what is needed, there is also a clip of some sort and i do not know what goes inside of that. This is a lot but thank you for your time and consideration.

Best,

Kendrick

P.S. I have more photos but I cannot get my reply to submit yet

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Lexington, SC
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 11:57:39 PM »
The console is plywood with a surface veneer of better wood.  That's how they're all made because plywood is stable (doesn't warp) and the thinner veneer can be a more expensive wood.  The best way to do it would be to buy some replacement veneer from a woodworking supply company and glue in some patches.  You will probably have to remove all the finish and then stain the entire surface after patching to get a uniform color, although if you're careful you might get a god result by staining the new veneer only.  The top looks badly treated--moisture damage from potted plants or whatever.  You can remove whatever remains of the finish, bleach the surface to get rid of the water marks, and then re-stain and finish it.  You can by wood bleach at the hardware or paint store, but I've used good ol'  Clorox with success.

The original finish is likely a lacquer.  You can buy canned spray lacquer.  Or you can use another finish like shellac or varnish.  I'm a varnish fan because it doesn't require spraying equipment, although I'll use shellac on some projects.  For varnish, you want an interior varnish, an oil-based product and not polyurethane or spar varnish.  Polyurethane usually looks like plastic and spar varnish is intended for outdoor exposure so it remains more flexible (softer) than an interior varnish.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 06:27:27 AM »
Welcome Kendrick! 

The brand name of your stereo is Delmonico and it is a solid state unit as opposed to tube.  As I'm looking at the BSR changer I see wires.  Is the cartridge there?  If not you will need one along with a service on the changer.  Google search the brand and model number for service/chassis/schematic info.  That will be a big help as you start your restoration.  Take photos as you go so you have a record of where things go when you start putting things back together.  I think it's cool that you have a family heirloom and that you want to restore it.  It keeps your grandparents memory alive.  I have my grandparents RCA Home Theater and it's my daily driver.  Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Chris gave you good advice for the cabinet.  Scrub, clean, inside and out and then take his advice.  Oh, I would remove all of the electronics including speakers and changer, putting them in a safe place,  before I started on the cabinet.  It will take time, so don't get discouraged or overwhelmed.  The important thing is to have fun. 

If you can get a few more pictures that would be nice and include speakers and amp/radio. 

Good luck and keep us posted as you go along.

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 11:29:00 AM »
I refinished a Magnavox stereo cabinet using polyurethane over shellac.  I'm happy with how it turned out.  Like Chris pointed out, polyurethane can look too shiny and plastic if it is not worked properly after it dries.  It does take a couple months to fully cure so it can be sanded, buffed and polished out.  The idea is to make it less shiny, not more shiny.  Lacquer is hard to find around here, so poly is about the only option in that case.  Urethanes have been used successfully on automobile finishes for close to 40 years now, so it is not an unheard of technology.  Lacquer is delicate and is easily damaged, but it is easy to apply and forgiving if you make a mistake.  I believe I'd do a good cleaning of the cabinet and then see what was still there.  You can do a lot with 0000 steel wool and Go-Jo hand cleaner, the kind without pumice. 

The top of the cabinet may need refinishing.  After you use a good stripper to get the gunge off, you can evaluate what needs to be done about the water marks.  Dark grain filler may hide much of it.  Good luck.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

currykendrickl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 02:29:06 PM »
Here are some more photos of what all I have done so far, I have everything besides the speaker out. It only had one but I can put another in if I desire since itís slotted Out. I am looking in to wood supply shops around here and trying to match the veneer. I appreciate all of the responses they are all helpful. I will keep everyone updated

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 04:02:29 PM »
You are making progress.  Only one speaker?  It's stereo so there should have been two or more.  Looks like someone must have borrowed one.  ;)

Bill

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 04:08:43 PM »
Kendrick!

I forgot to mention, if you have not already done so, to checkout and do some reading on this site.  There is a lot of good info that will help you.  Under repair and restoration you can read what we have all gone through to get our treasures up and playing. 

Bill

currykendrickl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 04:14:39 PM »
Right Bill, now I have to decide once I get there wether or not to replace both or try to find a matching one because the one in the console now actually sounds really good. :o I will definitely do that now because everyone has given me a better idea of what Iím working with.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 05:13:05 PM »
A potentially missing speaker is not good.  How does it work with no tubes?   ;)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 06:16:19 AM »
I find it interesting that the inside of the cabinet is also veneered in walnut.  Also that there is only one speaker per side, no tweeter.   I wonder if the speaker that was used has a tweeter built in that we are not seeing.  Maybe a two or three way all in one. 

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 10:30:08 PM »
The interior veneer may just have a walnut stain.  Good practice called for veneer on both sides of a laminated board (plywood) so it didn't warp from unequal forces as moisture came and went.

Chris Campbell

Microtouch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 09:30:44 AM »
This is a coincidence. I just got one similar to yours, yesterday to repair for an elderly friend. Model #36SBR228.  Chassis # TC-779 that looks just like yours. Mine has both speakers (I think yours is missing a speaker) and is stereo without the FM multiplexer. (mono FM).  The  changer needs to be rebuilt and the right channel is dead. I do have the schematic but no parts list or layout, if you need a copy.

currykendrickl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 03:47:31 PM »
I just went and got a veneer variety pack because i was not sure what type it was and was unsure of the process i wanted to take. Some of the areas that require patching need some filler before hand since chunks were taken out. So i plan to go in with wood filler and then patch once its a bit more even after sanding the filler. After that i would lay glue for patching, I am not sure if i should use stripper before or after the patch but ill definitely sand after the patch. Also i was recommended to but specifically veneer glue and was unsure if it was necessary or not. I am gonna search for another speaker then and i would appreciate the schematic if you could Micro

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 10:02:00 AM »
That's fortunate to have a schematic for the radio-amp chassis. Based on the size of the audio-output transistors, you may have about 5-7 watts per channel.  For these early-Japanese console chassis, the output transistor pairs are heat-sinked bolted on chassis toward bottom center of photo.

There appear to be a dozen capacitors that should be replaced, most are blue-shrink sleeved labels,  including the 4-section cylinder with mounting bracket. If it does work already, it can greatly benefit from changing these electrolytic capacitors.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Microtouch

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 03:48:56 PM »
I just went and got a veneer variety pack because i was not sure what type it was and was unsure of the process i wanted to take. Some of the areas that require patching need some filler before hand since chunks were taken out. So i plan to go in with wood filler and then patch once its a bit more even after sanding the filler. After that i would lay glue for patching, I am not sure if i should use stripper before or after the patch but ill definitely sand after the patch. Also i was recommended to but specifically veneer glue and was unsure if it was necessary or not. I am gonna search for another speaker then and i would appreciate the schematic if you could Micro

I try to get it to you this weekend.