Author Topic: Hello from Akron Ohio!  (Read 724 times)

MotorolaNut

• View Profile
Hello from Akron Ohio!
« on: May 05, 2018, 07:09:42 PM »
Hey everybody!

Joined up last fall but just now posting. Got the vintage HiFi bug a year ago and it hasn't gone away... at least not yet... My obsession is primarily three-channel Motorolas (although if I ran into a pretty RCA, Fisher, or Zenith model, I probably couldn't resist).   

I'll see if I can post some pictures of some of what I have or upload some literature soon. Meanwhile here's my daily driver - a 1962 SK76wa in the Drexel Declaration cabinet.

Looking forward to talking with all you guys,

Greg

MotorolaNut

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Akron Ohio!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 07:12:41 PM »
Here's another pic.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 09:40:41 PM »
Welcome aboard!
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 06:06:06 PM »
Let me add my welcome as well! 

I have a Motorola in a Drexel cabinet, it's model SK52W.  Dated 1960.  Yours looks brand new compared to mine that needs complete everything including a cabinet redo.  It's a down the road project.  :) 

Bill

MotorolaNut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 08:16:19 PM »
Hey Bill,

I got lucky with the sk76. Just a little staining on the speaker fabric that cleaned off pretty easily. . Wouldn"t be able to match it because its a combo of caning and gold threads.

I have a soft spot for the sk52 though. That model is built like a tank. I swear its twice as heavy as my other ones. I got one of those as well - an upcoming project I hope to squeeze in this summer. By the way, I have some 1960 literature I'll be uploading. You might find it useful if you don't have it.

Greg

MotorolaNut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 08:42:54 PM »
Bill,

By the way, I have some 1960 Motorola literature you might be interested in.  I'd like to upload the pdf files here, but I'm not quite sure how to do that yet... :-[

Greg

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 11:07:28 PM »
Don't tell anybody, but I have a Motorola SX-196 AW that is a circa 1965 hybrid model.  In a Drexel cabinet.  Not as exotic as yours, but it is well-built and sounds nice for what it is.  I also have an ST-82A which is the table model with the same chassis as the console.  Not a Drexel cabinet, though.  Motorola was nipping at the heels of Magnavox both in electronics and cabinetry.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

MotorolaNut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 05:34:39 PM »
Got a picture of the SX-196 AW? Now I'm curious...

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 07:40:26 AM »
Hi Newbie Greg.  I'm saying that because Electra 225 is also Greg.  ;)

Thank you so much for including the literature. I will read it front to back.  I have never tried adding something to the download section and maybe you have had success by now since I have not looked at the forum for a few days.  Still trying to get caught up doing spring chores. Almost done! 

How many Motorola's do you have?  I just have the one but would like one of their deluxe portables.  Not easy to find in my neck of the woods. 

Yes Electra 225 Greg...got any pictures of your Motorola's? 

Bill

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 10:54:09 AM »
Welcome to the site, I based my handle on a 1964 Motorola console I bought for my 50th birthday, still waiting for restoration :-[
Your SK-76 is one of the most sought-after (pretty and often found too) consoles in Drexel line. I missed out locally on an SK-77 listed in the classifieds, almost similar?

I certainly appreciate your literature contribution, as I have a couple of loose amps and tuners from the 1960 series.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

MotorolaNut

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 12:56:58 PM »
Well guys, I currently have 4 different Drexels - the SK76 in the dining room and three in the garage. I picked up a 1963 SK77-2  in March that I've torn down and am restoring now. That's going pretty slowly since I have to refinish a gouged-up cabinet and replace chewed-up caning for the speaker covers.

I don't have the SK77, but I would think the SK77 would just be a variant of the SK76, including the backlit control knobs. Don't know for sure since I haven't seen one in person yet.

Greg

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 12:19:50 PM »
SK-77 as seen in a local used furniture store, sold for $300 IIRC
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 06:25:07 PM »
Nice looking and $300 was a nice price.  Looks like a different changer than what Motorola originally used with VM. 

Bill

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 10:11:44 AM »
Yes, if anything is NOT EA, FP or similar too-common furniture, it gets the attention to get those prices. What gets me is the folks buying these consoles may be either using them as-found, risking a release of magic smoke, or they gut the cabinet and sell insides.

As a restorer, I would be interested but chassis and changer may be worth up to $50, but no more.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave