Author Topic: New nut from Indiana  (Read 769 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Re: New nut from Indiana
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 06:04:56 AM »
The model XXX (30) and the model LX (60) are the two Electrolux's that have the Art Deco look.  The model XXX was produced from 1937 until 1954. Longest running model of any vacuum ever and sold for $69.95.  The design of the tank (designed by Lurelle Guild) itself has become an icon -- the model "30" is now considered to be the highest elevation of the "art" of tank type vacuum design. A model XXX is displayed in the Smithsonian. 

The model LX or 60 was larger, more powerful, and was the first Electrolux to have a disposable bag.  It was also the first automatic.  When the bag was full the motor would shut off, the bag door would open and the bag would eject.

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 09:36:21 AM »
I bid on an old Electrolux at an auction recently.  It was the kind with the brown body and the cord reel on the front of the machine.  It was the model with the runners instead of wheels.  Wheels work better on tile.  It had the hose, all the attachments and the rug beater.  Looked brand new.  It went for $125.  I figured they would have a tough time getting a bid on it.  I'd like to find one of the blue ones with the wheels and bag one of these days at an auction.  I would own that one.  We bought a blue on new in the early 1970's.  The hose broke and nobody locally would repair it.  The wife traded it in on a Kenmore.  Like trading a Packard for a skateboard......
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 10:24:31 AM »
My father sold them door to door.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 12:46:48 PM »
I'd have to look at that model listing, but I think my mother in law still has her older one, probably 60's vintage and a newer one. Ours is probably 10 years old and ALL PLASTIC, I am not a fan.
Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 05:52:59 PM »
Dennis,

You have the Electrolux that's not a real Electrolux.  It's in name only.  The real Electrolux became Aerus when the Electrolux Company got into the appliance business.  If you want a modern day real Electrolux you need to by an Aerus, that's the good one.

Bill

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 05:55:55 PM »
Greg!

Look for a Electrolux Model G.  Has wheels, all the attachments including a power nozzle. Good vacuum!

Bill

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 06:31:33 PM »
At the  Towson Electrolux dealer they had a thick plastic sheet laminate about 15" by 20" that was used as a countertop-saver and it showed all the Electroluxes with  pictures and years of manufacture. I had a few model XXXs. There were several updates/options just like FM multiplex on a Magnavox. The spring retractable power cord reel was a thick metal chrome gadget that attached to the front exhaust chute and was quite heavy. A gadget on the back replaced the round back bag cover with a odd-looking extension housing that allowed the new disposable rectangular paper bags to be used. There was a paint sprayer that ran off the pressure side and a suction powered carpet scrubber attachment but the suction didn't have any other function than rotating the scrub brush. 

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 07:13:33 PM »
(I hit send by mistake. ) A curved piece of metal piggybacked around the carry handle and had spring clips for a lot of tools. It made made the vacuum look like an opossum carrying its young on its back. This tool carrier had a chain to hang it in a broom closet, I read somewhere that only Electrolux had a hose that tapered outward from the attachment end to the vacuum end so as to avoid clogging when sucking up Christmas tree needles and such. The tools were usually multipurpose by swiveling them on the wand. They had a lead weight on one end to make it easy to swivel to the alternate position by lifting off the floor and continuing the half circle without bending over to do it by hand. The bag emptying end was sloped so dirt wouldn't spill out when it was detached. The attachment point on he hose was low down so the vacuum wouldn't tip when you pulled the hose to get it around a corner.  The suction area under each tool had narrow channels and guides to keep the airflow speed high until the suction pipe was reached. The way to appreciate all these extra touches is to use another vacuum of the same era that didn't have them.
           I left the vacuum collection behind during my "Exodus" from Towson to Bethany Beach, and have only the Golden Jubilee model and a Hoover "beats as it sweeps as  it cleans" pastel pink convertible with no attachments and the bottom-fill bag. Hoover and Electrolux of that era had a lot in common with Magnavox...long model runs, constant updates and improvements that would retrofit the older models. Good old Yankee ingenuity. Old Maytag appliances were like that too. 
          I'd love to know why they don't think these things through when designing stuff today.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 08:38:56 PM »
Ed,

To answer your question:  Todays stuff is built to last about 7 years an then you set it by the curb and go and buy another one.  Appliances, TV's, vacuums, just about everything.  There are darn few that are built to last. 

Bill

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 07:29:20 AM »
I think the only way is to buy something that has already lasted a while,  used... or go overboard industrial and even that is no guarantee.
Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 08:55:30 PM »
Model G, huh?  Didn't those come in blue or tan?  Those things appear at auctions frequently around here.  I'll keep my eye out for one.  Thanks, Bill.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 06:29:00 AM »
The blue is kind of a blueish green but tan is correct.  The tan is the newer model. The "G" is the last model Electrolux built before going to the square look which was the 1205.  Actually there were two models the "G" which was the deluxe model and the "L" which ran along with the 1205 for a while.  Check out the site below. I hope it works.

http://blog.evacuumstore.com/post/2012/06/22/History-of-All-Electrolux-Vacuum-Cleaner-Models.aspx

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 07:07:30 AM »
That certainly is a comprehensive collection of Electrolux.  We must have had a turquoise 1205.  The latest one I saw at an auction was an R.  Ours was a good one.  The hose was a problem, but I don't remember now what the problem was. 

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 07:23:39 PM »
The hoses started to deteriorate under the outside covering.  You could not see it but you could feel the air being drawn in if you ran your hand along the hose.  Suction would slowly reduce.  Sometimes the wire for the power nozzle would break at the handle end.  Vacuums usually ran forever. 

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 11:19:52 PM »
L.S.Ayres in Indianapolis (now long defunct) sold Electrolux.  That's where we got ours.  They had a fairly good service department that put ours back in the pink when the hose snafu'd.  I don't remember the exact problem, but the cure was a new hose.