Author Topic: New nut from Indiana  (Read 1460 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: New nut from Indiana
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2018, 08:02:42 AM »
I just saw a model XX(L?-ripped model tag) with a cord reel on its end, hose and a box of attachments so it must have been a lot older than it looked. After going on the site, I knew it was early 1950's but it was hardly used sure looked newer.

I got enough of these things with a Rainbow that has scrubbler-type water filter, Kenmore, 60 -year old Hoover uprights, (not to mention a Costco Shark - hose repaired once, and Dyson Animal - stripped-out beater bar but good hose ???) but hepa filers make the newer ones mandatory in most of the house .

So why go back to SA yesterday after recall of a Blue-silver model L?  The kind with sled runners, not wheels - I had at my first apartment 37 years ago, and left with my roommates when I moved across the country. I also left an often-watched working 1962 RCA (CTC11 - the last vertical chassis) color set with low hours, another regret along with a Victorian sofa.                       

There the XX or XL was at S.A. Store  out with the specials, a $29.99 sticker-tag and I passed on it :-[, this week it was gone!
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2018, 11:36:43 AM »
           Well there must be something in our genes, like smoking, drinking and gambling all go together; so does love of old radiophono consoles, old  vacuums and old kitchen.     appliances.
               I also had the model S, made concurrently with the mighty Model G but sort of a lightweight send-by-airmail version with no cast metal pieces, just lightweight thin steel. though the motor seemed the same and it seemed to have the same suction as the heavier models. It was light and dark blue two tone. Mine had the rectangular shape reusable cloth bag.
            The G types were unbelievably quiet machines, especially compared to today's models that equate excess noise with good suction.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2018, 04:38:54 PM »
The Masterworks is nice looking and when finished should be a great stereo.   Like most of us here on the forum we have many interests or hobbies.  Cars is a big one!  Fans, organs, vacuums, boats, almost anything vintage.  So you fit right in!  I like the train thing.  How big is your set?  Or should I say sets?  I have a friend that has a bunch of Lionel.  I think he has three of the biggest Lionel transformers and I don't know how many engines he has. 

I'm just back from vacation and catching up.  Bill was right.  A lot of us have old cars (I've got a daily driver Ranger plus 4 old ones) and other cool old stuff that requires tinkering.  Lionel?  Yeah, I've got the childhood train set, a Lionel "O" gauge on a big table made by a neighbor for us.  Vacuums?  My "daily driver" in that department is a dandy GE canister from about 1940. There's something inherently interesting about things that are repairable, maintainable, and useful. 

On your finds, the Coronado and Masterworks are the winners in the looks department.  We will rely on you for evaluation of the sound aspect.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2018, 05:37:05 PM »
Chris....this answers my previous question....welcome back from vacation!

Bill

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2018, 05:42:37 PM »
Dave,

If it had sled runners it's either a model XXX or 30 or a model LX or 60.  Either could have a cord winder, as that was an option.  If it had a cloth bag it was probably a model 30.  Disposable paper bag model 60.  The model 30 was more round and the 60 more square.

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2018, 10:33:01 PM »
Check out the site below. I hope it works.

http://blog.evacuumstore.com/post/2012/06/22/History-of-All-Electrolux-Vacuum-Cleaner-Models.aspx

That's a nice link.  I bought a Model XXX, as it turns out, for $5 a number of years ago for my mom.  She didn't have a canister at her cottage.  You can't clear spiders from a lakeside house without a canister and its hose.  At the little cottage I have near hers, I have Kingston canister like the first one pictured on this page.

http://www.vacuumland.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREAD.cgi?1093

It has suffered from a tenant who rented it many years ago and decided to suck ashes out of the fireplace with it, leading to a minor internal fire (!!!).  But it survived and sucks spiders and their webs very effectively. 

Chis Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2018, 08:31:55 PM »
That one is a nice looking machine.  And behind it is a row of Hoovers all standing at attention. 

Bill