Author Topic: New nut from Indiana  (Read 1251 times)

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
New nut from Indiana
« on: May 24, 2018, 11:48:24 AM »
Hey there, I figured I register as I have surfed on and off for a while.  I now have three old tube console stereo's, err ah hifi's...
One was my Grandmothers and grabbed it before she passed away.... strangely no one else in the family wanted it!  It's nothing grand but is a Coronado from about 1962 or so.  The second I found on the street waiting for the trash truck.  I drove buy ones and then decided to circle back.  It is pretty beat and the lid is junk, it warped and the lamination separated.  It is a Masterworks M4070.  The last one I just picked up this morning.  It's a Zenith MM2603 which I think suggests 1965 manufacture.  it doesn't look to bad.  My grandma's was the cleanest.  I replaced all the electrolytic caps and clean it up and it actually worked great.  I had the pleasure of unwrapping a new needle and a new LP ( Baja Marimba Band) and man that was the cleanest sounding I've ever heard.  No crackle no nothing, just music.  It was great.  The other two will get the Cap treatment as neither work at this point.  That said, the price was right for all three, ie FREE.  Of course, that is like getting a free dog at the shelter...  Free stuff ain't really free in the long run lol.  Here are some pictures of the first and last, still need to take some of the Masterworks M4070.
Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"

Bill

• View Profile
Re: New nut from Indiana
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 06:28:49 PM »
Hey New Nut and Welcome!

Coronado is a brand I am familiar with.  As a kid, starting in 1966 at I think 14, I worked for the Gamble-Skogmo Company better known as "The Gamble Store".  There were based in Minnesota.  There were both independently owned stores with some corporate stores as well. Mine was owned by a nice man named Charlie Brown.  They were kind of like small town Sears stores.  Had everything you could think of including electronics.  Their products were quality, built by someone else, not sure who built the stereos, but for the most part didn't give us much trouble.  I'm hoping when you start the Coronado restoration you will include photo's of the guts.  I'm really curious as to what was under the hood so to speak.  Amp, speakers, etc.  Most of the ones we sold in the store I worked at were smaller/less expensive units than your Grandmothers.  We did sell a top of the line unit once.  It was 6 feet long, had 8 speakers, reel to reel and was solid wood cabinet.  I can still remember how heavy it was.  I think the sticker was $599.99, which was a lot of money back then, and it sounded fantastic!  Again welcome and keep us posted on your progress. 

Bill

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 08:47:58 PM »
Hi Bill, thanks!
The Coronado was in pretty good condition except for the dead caps.  My dad and his two brothers supposedly got it for my grand parents as an anniversary present in the early 60's.  So the story goes, the boys bought it on lay-A-way and my grand parents had to finish it off to take it home.  I heard that story I think right before they were cleaning out my grandma's house.  I think I have some better pictures somewhere. It uses a couple of 12AX7 tubes on the pre amp end and I think 5RC50's on the output end.  It's pretty low watt with I think 8" speakers.  I also had to clean and re-grease everything, the new needle.
Dennis H

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 10:27:50 PM »
Some of the Masterworks devices were better than expected.   I had a portable, a curbside find that I gave away the last time I moved, that surprised me in terms of sound and build quality.  Not sure who made those for Columbia. Send along some photos and details of that one too.  I'm headed off on vacation for 2 weeks and will be out of touch but will have a look-see when I get back.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 06:24:15 AM »
Reading your postings you sound like you have done some electronic restoration before?  Either that or you have just jumped and gone for it?  Either way you should have fun and when finished the reward is great. 

As I think about the manufactures for Coronado I think Admiral made a lot of the TV's so maybe they made your stereo. 

Have fun on vacation Chris!

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 10:06:08 AM »
Welcome.  I was born in Indiana.  What part of the state are you from, if you don't mind my asking.

Remember Bill's rule......there is always room for one more.   ;)

Good luck and enjoy.  Now you are hooked and there is no cure. ;D
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 04:20:24 PM »
I guys, Thanks for the good vibes!  Yeah, Indiana, we've been in W. Lafayette since about 2005.  Before that we were up in Hammond for 8-9 years.

Well, I'm not dumb enough to foolishly call myself an expert, cause I am anything but.  That said, I've never been afraid to tear stuff apart tinker etc.  The other side is I also have about a million projects, like 3 cars, I collect Lionel trains, have dabbled in control line model airplanes and a few other things... soo I'll work on about anything.  Heck I had a decent time fixing my 70" Sharp TV when it went down.  Learned some neat stuff, found a great form ( badcaps) and fixed my TV!  That said, I need to finish some stuff.  I should go by the motto " Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff".
Dennis H

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 04:30:00 PM »
Some of the Masterworks devices were better than expected.   I had a portable, a curbside find that I gave away the last time I moved, that surprised me in terms of sound and build quality.  Not sure who made those for Columbia. Send along some photos and details of that one too.  I'm headed off on vacation for 2 weeks and will be out of touch but will have a look-see when I get back.

Chris Campbell
Yes, I am getting interested in the Masterworks one again as it might turn out to be decent, we'll see.  I have the photofact for it and it has two ECL86's on each channel so a buddy of mine that dabbles in tube amps for his guitar was thinking the 86's are good for maybe 9 watts each, so maybe 18 watts per channel...  Does that sound right?  I can upload a pic of the diagram but it is a heavy toad.  I need to purchase the replacement caps for it and check out the tubes I guess.  I'll pull it out and snap some pictures of it but it isn't much of a looker at this point.
Dennis H

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 04:49:23 PM »
I just took some pictures of the Masterworks M4070.  You can see it is a serious project.  The lid is scrap.
Dennis H

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 10:12:56 PM »
Welcome!  You have some nice looking pieces there.  I grew up just south of Marion.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 06:32:06 AM »
The Masterworks is nice looking and when finished should be a great stereo.   Like most of us here on the forum we have many interests or hobbies.  Cars is a big one!  Fans, organs, vacuums, boats, almost anything vintage.  So you fit right in!  I like the train thing.  How big is your set?  Or should I say sets?  I have a friend that has a bunch of Lionel.  I think he has three of the biggest Lionel transformers and I don't know how many engines he has. 

We are neighbors.....I live about half way up the west coast of Michigan in a little town called Hart.  There are a lot of us on the forum from this mid-west area. 

Bill

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 07:45:45 AM »
Bill, when you mentioned "cross-addictions" you hit a few of mine too----fans (old General Electric box fans with tri-petal blades in particular) vacuums (old Electrolux with 5 wheels, 4 big plastic and 1 small castor wheel) and if I may add a few, old General Electric alarm clocks (Telecron sealed motors and  glow-in-the-dark hands) old percolators (mostly General Electric  with glass bubble tops, ready lights, also Sunbeam Vaculators) and basically things that strike my fancy and fit in the back seat.   
          My only 3 eBay purchases are a Scott Stereomaster (actually mono) FM tuner 310C with messed up tuning condenser, Magnavox CR195 chassis from a '41 Regency (?) and a Telefunken AM=FM=SW battery portable with vacuum tubes, land it was it was a special day when each arrived.

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 07:48:08 AM »
Hi Bill, the trains have been a lifelong illness...never stopped, not for college or the Navy or the family. Lets just say I have hundreds.  There many with a lot more, but I have more than I need or deserve for sure. It happens when you just keep picking stuff up over 40 plus years.  Here is a section of my layout with my large prewar passenger station and a bunch of prewar tinplate passenger sets.  I'll remove the pic if I shouldn't post here, just let me know. Yes, seems like a lot of us in the Midwest!.  There are worse places to live! I honestly prefer the snow to 100F and high humidity.
Dennis H

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 06:33:19 AM »
Dennis,

I can think of worse things to do than trains or stereos or cars.  You definitely have a lot of trains.  I had Lionel when I was a kid but they are long gone.  Sometime I wish I still had them.  As far as the Midwest goes I do love it here in the sunny time of the year but come mid January I head for Arizona.  I don't mind the cold and snow I just hate having no sun and in my part of Michigan you pretty much don't see it from mid November until late March.  I'm usually home by April 1st.

Ed,

I only have two box type fans that are vintage.  One is a Constellation, with the tri-petal blades, that the switch will allow the motor to reverse.  That thing is built like a tank.  The other is a GE twin four blade. It has two 12" blades and has a thermostat.  The rest of my fans are the table top type that oscillate.  Different brands, Hunter/Century, GE, Coronado, Artic Air, Three with brass blades, and two Vornado.  I like clocks as well but mine you need to wind and they chime. 

Have you every Googled Electrolux and looked at all the models they had over the years.  The Model XXX was there longest running machine. Art Deco in design and was featured at the Worlds Fair somewhere around 1937.  Check this out.

https://evacuumstore.com/c-1908-electrolux-history.aspx

Bill

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 02:12:06 PM »
We have a recent Electrolux and my mother in law has had them forever, ie back when they were still somewhat robustly constructed.  I probably wouldn't turn away a nice vintage one and I think they had at least a couple of models  with that art deco style that I do like.  Lots of polished stainless or chrome can be a really cool thing.
Dennis H