Author Topic: Magnavox 8802 amp what to replace? Caps, resistors, etc  (Read 292 times)

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
Magnavox 8802 amp what to replace? Caps, resistors, etc
« on: June 06, 2018, 07:38:08 AM »
I'm listing out what I need to buy to overhaul this 8802 amp,  I downloaded the parts listing from our download section, Thanks!.
Question is, what all do you normally replace or suggest replacing.  When I did my Coronado a few years ago, I just replaced all the Electrolytic caps and left it at that.  It worked perfect so I  felt I was done and it has been fine since.

That said, I see comments to replace certain resistors, or check them and so forth. 
I guess what I am asking is what other items beyond the E caps should I consider or religiously replace on these beasts?
Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox 8802 amp what to replace? Caps, resistors, etc
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 07:13:20 PM »
Hi Dennis,

Speaking just for me, I replace the electrolytic and paper capacitors, give it a try and go from there.  There are certain resistors that should be checked and I do that after the caps get changed out. 

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 08:09:22 PM »
What Bill said and check the 220K ohm grid resistors.  They are frequently found drifted high.  I like to replace them along with paper caps.  Then check the balance of the resistors in the amp chassis.  I have been known to replace about 80% of them in some chassis.  The cathode bypass resistor should be checked as well.  I put a fuse in the primary of the power transformer, but that is just my preference.  Good luck.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 06:42:51 AM »
Ok, thanks guys.  Am I also correct in thinking/remembering that I need to match the uF but either be equal or higher on voltage rating?  Also I seem to remember a temp rating on caps or at least some caps.  Is 105 good for these or is there a next step.

Two on my list are 40uF and 350 Volts which seem to be pricey, but I can get 40uF  at 500 volts much more reasonably.

Thanks again. :)
Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 07:11:56 AM »
It is okay to go higher on operating voltage.  I like using at least 500 volt e-caps in the power supply.  You are correct on matching capacity (uf).  I like to increase the capacity of the output filter cap and the cathode bypass cap, but that is just my preference.  I also like using Nichicon PZ series caps so I can re-stuff the electrolytic can for the power supply.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.