Author Topic: Magnavox Stereo Theater 1MR418M restoration  (Read 5004 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox Stereo Theater 1MR418M restoration
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 11:26:21 AM »
Danny, I sure appreciate the link to the EIA codes and your confidence in my abilities.  I reckon I'll start making a fool of myself early and beat the rush...... :-[

The Phantom Control in a Concert Grand can control the tuner changing stations, so the technology for controlling the radio tuner exists.  I have never seen a remote control for the particular TV set in the Stereo Theater, so I'm not sure what it is supposed to control.  One would think at least channel selection, on-off and volume at a minimum.  Another piece of the investigation on the Grand Adventure.  Gloriously complicated.   :)

Danny, I have been looking for EIA information like that for eons.  I appreciate your guys' contributions.  I think it would be appropriate to make a little plaque and put it inside the cabinet when we get done with this.  Have the names of everybody who contributed as a memorial of the first Stereo Theater restoration.  Bill will be disappointed if this thread is not larger than the "Wanted" one was.   ;)
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 11:53:55 AM »
It looks like your restoration thread will be a bestseller!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 11:59:09 AM »
I'm looking forward to your contribution, Rex.  We have been at this dance before.   :)

I wouldn't have made it thru the Concert Grand restoration without your input.

The codes on the TV chassis are "2-25-1"  Twenty-fifth week of 1962, first shift. 

If the speakers are made by Chicago Telephone Supply, that explains the various designs of speakers you see in Magnavox cabinets.  Wonder why Magnavox did not build their own speakers.  Were they out of the speaker business by 1962?  Heffner built the speakers inone of my other Magnavoxes.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 12:01:52 PM »
Is that the Oldsmobile with the diesel v8 option. I seem to remember reading that Oldsmobile wound up buying them back from the customer and that case was the original case leading to the lemon law. or was that the Cadillac with the original radio interference prone electronic fuel system ?

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 12:10:20 PM »
I doubt if they bought them all back.  I had an '81 Toro with a '91 replacement diesel engine.  It was the most comfortable, reliable car I've owned.
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 12:44:03 PM »
They were popular in Phoenix for taxi use.  They would idle all day with the air conditioning on and not overheat.  I made a living for awhile removing them from Chevy and GMC pickups and putting in Olds 455 or Buick 455 engines in their place.  Cadillac 500 engines would work as well, but you had to use the Cadillac transmission.  I had customers with GM diesels who liked theirs as well.  The secret was maintenance.  Once they got a lot of deferred maintenance that was needed, they were done.  We removed them from trucks not because they went bad, but because they did not have enough power for a truck.

I was referring to the 5.0 litre, 307 cid Oldsmobile-built "Y" code V-8.  It was a gasoline engine, rated as I remember at 140 horsepower.  It was no fireball, but was reliable and relatively fuel-efficient.  GM put it in all their rear-drive sedans from 1981 to 1987 or so.  It had a four-barrel Rochester carb with computer controls.  It's Achilles Heel was the valve covers leaking.  They were sealed from the factory with silicone.  They leaked with gay abandon.  The carbon would build up from the oil leak and that could start a fire.  There were millions of vacuum lines and lots of plastic that would combust and the fire would take off.  The diesel was a 5.7 litre, 350 cid V-8 rated at something like 120 horsepower.  The Chevy inline six had more power.  Guys hated that engine in a pickup.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2018, 12:54:59 PM »
The Achilles heel on mine and others I knew of, was the diaphragm vacuum pump driven by the distributor drive.  It was a task to find a functional one at a scrapyard as each of mine failed.  It would fail the heating system when it quit.
Arthur C. Clarke

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 01:36:14 PM »
Congratulations Greg!  Your perseverance has paid dividends.
The sensor may be located elsewhere, Greg.  I think the square box in the lower right of the mask is the secondary channel selector display.  It would be a good idea with a remote to know what channel you're on. ;-)  Attached is an image I pulled from a Stereo Theatre ebay listing from September 2013 showing the channel display.  That Stereo Theatre was fully electrically restored and sold for $1,295!!

The square thing in the picture tube mask is the sensor for the remote control system.
Paul

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 06:49:37 AM »
The square box in the lower RH corner of the screen makes sense with what I noticed looking from the back side.  There is a round tumbler device in that corner that has a light behind it. It rotates on a axle type device and would line up with the square box on the front.  Even though I could not see them, the channel numbers must be on the round tumbler.  Good call Paul and your picture confirms it.

Were on page two already!   ;D

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 09:01:36 AM »
That setup sound gloriously complicated.  Bill, you got me on this one.  The guys on the TV forum, too.  So maybe the round doo-hickey under the picture tube is the sensor for the remote control?  There has to be a sensor for the Magnalux somewhere.  There is a lighted channel indicator on top by the channel knob, too, isn't there?

It seems a real shame that people are dismantling ST's just for the amplifier and canning the rest.  They are works of art.  There are some neat features on it.  Wonder what drives the channel indicator in the CRT mask. 

Thank you all for your input here.  The EIA documentation that Danny posted is essential if you want to document something.  It is eight pages.  There are EIA numbers on stuff I would have had no idea had an EIA number.

Bill, it's gonna take several pages for me to make a fool of myself on this thing.  We will have to talk about cars some, too, you know.   ;)

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 09:47:37 AM »
Another "DUH" moment during "The Rest of the Story"... :-[

The remote control system in this Stereo Theater shouldn't be an infrared remote.  Hence, no sensor for the remote.  It probably has a little antenna buried in the cabinet somewhere, like Phantom Control in the CG.  The round doo-hickey under the CRT mask is likely for the Magnalux system. 

My apologies to Bill for my failure to "see" what he was trying to tell me.  Sorry, Bill.   :-[

I will be thrilled if this one gets as good a picture as the one Paul posted does.  After I go thru this one, $1295 would not buy it.   :)

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2018, 04:14:28 PM »
Greg,
Attached is a 1962 catalog image, advertisement, and two styles of Magnavox Phantom bellows remotes.  The advertisement states the wireless remote performs channel selection, loudness, and ON/OFF.  It is probably a two button bellows (ultrasonic) remote like my 1967 color stereo theatre uses.
Paul

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 10:52:54 PM »
Thanks, Paul.  So the remote control does not work with the stereo, then.

"Ultrasonic".  Does that use radio frequency like the older Phantom Control?  If no antenna, where is the sensor or whatever sends a signal to the remote control chassis?

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 05:43:59 AM »
    I've seen some of those space command ultrasonic remotes in my younger days, The television front panel has a small round area with a screen to let the sound to a small mike in the back. maybe 1/2 inch diameter.

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 06:02:25 AM »
Greg,
I found some extra info on the Ultrasonic remote from another audio forum:
"The remote is a two frequency "whistle" set to 22,000 and 24,000Hz iirc and there is a small amplifier/switching unit with a mic, inside the cabinet."
"I sold a ton of those in the day.  Those remotes were a pain since they could get "out of tune" over time and needed to be "tweaked". We also found that you could shake certain sets of car keys and cause the remote functions to work."
If that's the case, I bet you would drive your pets crazy too! :-)
One more, Greg.  Here is a link with images of the ultrasonic mic and switching unit, plus good explanations:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/1962-magnavox-what-the-heck-is-this.376106/#post-4741172

Paul