Author Topic: Magnavox Stereo Theater 1MR418M restoration  (Read 61695 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox Stereo Theater 1MR418M restoration
« Reply #600 on: July 30, 2019, 09:11:04 PM »
Check the Sams for the amp and the tuner and see of they agree.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 01, 2019, 10:27:21 AM »
I have no information whatsoever on the radio tuner and no wattage given on the amp.  I reckon the Kill-A-Watt is my best bet for determining total wattage after restoration.

I have some more pictures.  This shows the original back, and also the pattern for the new one.  And it shows the Magnavox emblem that was missing on the TV tuner bezel.  I have since cleaned the dirt out of the little plastic window for the channel selector.  I overlooked it until I saw the pictures..... ::)

I robbed the Magnavox emblem from a parts set table radio I have.  I got the radio in a box of junk at an auction.  The big hole in the middle of the pattern will be filled with black wire mesh.  I am going to repair and use the original cup that goes over the end of the picture tube.  It is broken into several pieces and was held together with duct tape.  We can repair it with epoxy, paint it, and use it on the new back.  You can see how poorly ventilated the original back was.

As a side note, I'm fortunate that the chrome on the TV tuner selector knob is as nice as it is.  Many of the ones I've seen, and both the "parts" knobs I have the chrome is worn off.  I'm also fortunate to have access to this forum and its members.  Without this forum, the restoration of this Stereo Theater would not have been possible.  While I'm not out of the woods by any means, I can now see just a hint of daylight...... ;) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 01, 2019, 02:08:51 PM »
The channel knob looks OK, is it just the metal ring/tab part that is missing? Do I see the FT inner knob there?
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 01, 2019, 09:43:46 PM »
You're right about the ventilation issue.  Heat really kills the components.  Give 'em air. 

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 01, 2019, 10:43:26 PM »
Dave, I believe I have all I need as far as the channel selector knob is concerned.  The FT knob is there, it is just not easily seen.  As best I can figure, you need to push down on the fine tuning knob to set the fine tuning.  Once you have it set, it stays there automatically from channel to channel.  Since we will be watching any channel we want as long as it's channel 3, I won't need to use the FT knob much if the thing works like it's supposed to.  The remote control will essentially be worthless, if it even works, for anything other than adjusting volume and turning the TV on and off. 

Chris, for all the features of Magnavox that are Magnificent, two features are not.  Sloppy wiring and poor cabinet ventilation.  I have made extra effort to cure both issues in the Concert Grand and now the Stereo Theater. 

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 04, 2019, 11:38:07 PM »
I'm taking a couple weeks hiatus away from the Stereo Theater.  We worked so hard on the cabinet, then re-assembly, I need a break for a bit.  I'd do this when I was restoring cars, too, after major assemblies came together.  I tend to get burnt out and lose focus.  A couple weeks "sun testing" gets me back on track.  I've been listening to it as I work in the shop, "testing" if you will...... ::) ;) :)

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 05, 2019, 08:19:02 AM »
Keep testing Greg, and have fun with all the other projects that a wait you.  ::) ;) :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 05, 2019, 09:37:02 AM »
It's been fun testing the Stereo Theater.  I may connect one of the CD jukeboxes to it.  Get a little Hank Thompson going.  I need to get the ST and the Symphony side-by-side.  If I had the Symphony dialed in like I have the ST, maybe it would not be a race.  Right now, I really don't know which one I'd put my money on....... :) :)

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 05, 2019, 04:07:39 PM »
If things go right, they will be side by side one of these days.  ;) ;)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 05, 2019, 11:41:47 PM »
Yeah, someday, Bill.  We'll play the Concert Grand demonstration record to see which one sounds best.  Whadda 'ya think?

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 06, 2019, 07:47:19 PM »
I'll reserve that answer for when the day comes.  ;) :)  I'm guessing sooner than later.  ;D ;D

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 10, 2019, 08:33:01 PM »
The finish on the cabinet is moving and filling in grain and imperfections we had when we finished spraying.  It is amazing to see this happen.  Subsequent coats of finish would partially dissolve earlier coats.  This allow the finish to move and fill slight imperfections as it cures.  I had one or two open grains on the top that have since filled.  Ron thinks it need to cure more before we try to work the finish.  It's hard for me to be patient.....

I'm going to amortize the restoration by playing some of my Faron Young records on the Stereo Theater changer.  I can't imagine them not sounding "Magnificent."

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 09, 2019, 08:45:27 AM »
The Faron Young record demonstration went swimmingly well.  We have new neighbors who like playing head-banging music too loud.  They guy was amazed at how good "an old TV set" sounds.   ;) :)

I have finally acquired a method of monitoring input current on the Stereo Theater.  A "Kill-A-Watt".  A famous YouTuber who does videos on TV repair has one.  A dim bulb is not much good for something that draws as much power as a Stereo Theater does.  I've heard it is not good to bring a TV chassis up on voltage gradually, since the horizontal oscillator may not start.  This places unobtanium parts in jeopardy.  The recommended method is to start the TV chassis up at full line voltage, while monitoring current or wattage draw.  So that is our next step, scheduled for Tuesday next.  If we don't let out the magic smoke, that will be one victory.  Then if my chassis work, the "picture bulb" and the tuner are okay, we are probably golden. 

To refresh memory, the picture tube tests marginal at 6.3 volts, but wakes up nicely at 7 or 8 volts.  Who knows how long since it has been under power.  I gave the tuner and lick and a promise, so who knows what it will do.  I dreamed the other night that I started up the TV and it wouldn't work.  I found (in my dream) that the dial light was out of the TV tuner.  I guess I'll check that before I go any farther.   ::) :)

The device I have is not a genuine Kill-A-Watt, but a generic version.  I believe it is going to be very handy.  My plan is to incorporate it into my isolation transformer/variac and use it in addition, or in lieu of, a dim bulb.  The iso/variac/dim bulb I use is built into an old oscilloscope cabinet.  It has input and output voltage and amp meters.  On the device I have, you can go from watts to amps to input volts at the push of a button.  No programming, no fiddling with controls.  Simple to use.  I'm looking forward to seeing what it will do.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 09, 2019, 11:17:57 AM »
I've been tinkering with the generic Kill-A-Watt this morning.  My little 1ST616 Magnavox stereo that I restored in 2017 measures 107 watts from the line.  This is for the amp, MPX adapter and the tuner.  I did not turn the phono motor on.  The Stereo Theater measures 155 watts for the amp, tuner and MPX, and I did not turn the phono motor on it, either.  Those run around 30 watts.  So that would make around 140 watts for the 616 and around 185 watts for the Stereo Theater.  The wattage given for the C36 TV chassis in the Stereo Theater is 160 watts.  That would make around 350 watts, give or take, for the wattage draw on the Stereo Theater.  The model number sticker gives 655 watts draw for the Stereo Theater.  If it draws that much, I'm liable to let the magic smoke out.  The wattage given on the model number sticker on the 1ST616 is 240 watts.  I have no idea how Magnavox figured wattage draw for their instruments.  The line voltage here this morning is 122.  That's really high for our neck of the woods.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 09, 2019, 06:48:51 PM »
That does not make sense.  Where in the world did Magnavox come up with their watt number.  I looks like they took the actual, which is the number you have with your new Kill-A-Watt, and doubled it.   :-\ ??? ::) :o :)

So, you your post made me curious on my line voltage.  I'm at 122.3 volts as I'm typing the post.  I guess the America power grid is running high these days.  :) :)

Bill