Author Topic: Magnavox Stereo Theater 1MR418M restoration  (Read 31812 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox Stereo Theater 1MR418M restoration
« Reply #465 on: June 07, 2019, 11:49:31 AM »
We didn't have to put it all the way to the floor.  The cabinet might have been tilted to a 45 degrees before the picture tube fell out.  We were well prepared, which was a good thing.  It likely would not have fallen backwards, due to the metal TV chassis.  The mask would hold it in front, then the safety glass, so I would not be worried about it coming out with all the stuff in the cabinet.  It was not safe sitting on the bench like it was, in my opinion.  I'll watch that from now on.  I don't know how tight is too tight.   ::)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 07, 2019, 02:24:58 PM »
The important thing, it did not break.  ;) ;) :) :)  The metal band with the bolt/screws should be tight.  Is there another metal band/strap around the picture tube, one that's still there?  It should be much easier putting it back in.  Each day is a closer day to a finished Stereo Theater.  :) :)

Bill 

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 07, 2019, 04:53:10 PM »
I've been following this from " I gotta get one!" To "I got one!" to now...  and I can relate since I got my '62 Fleetwood...  more parts than you can count and how did HUMANS design and assemble all this...

Anyway, if you're looking for a grill cloth that goes with just about anything, consider cane.  I have it on the Fisher and redid a set of Bozak Tempos with it and it doesn't scream "I'M A SPEAKER".

Great job so far. 

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 07, 2019, 04:57:11 PM »
Source of cane?  I was trying to remember that word because that's what my little "Home-Mark" device looks like it had, judging from the fringe that's left.

Chris Campbell

walyfd

• View Profile

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 07, 2019, 08:54:50 PM »
The old '51 (+/-) Magnavox has a cane-like grille cloth, backed with some open-weave black cloth to give visual opacity.  It looks like the square weave in the link.  And the Home-Mark had the same arrangement, although the "cane" may have been some synthetic substance. 

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 08, 2019, 07:28:24 AM »
I like the look of cane, and I appreciate the suggestion.  Something to consider.   :)

This is has been the most ambitious restoration/renovation I have ever undertaken in my life.  I restored a '56 Packard one time that had 1200 pounds of mud-dauber nests in it, but this is more ambitious yet than that.  I go over pictures of this project from time to time to see the progress, and to plot the re-assembly.  I am considering buying hanks of wire in blue, green, black, brown, white, gray and purple to try and fix some of the wiring mess.  Some wires, like the main cable from the radio tuner to the MPX adapter are way too long.  The speaker wires, from the external speaker switch to the crossover network are way too short.  It would be beneficial in several ways to have the mess under the radio tuner sorted.

There is no band around the picture tube.  It looks to me like the front of the picture tube is about an inch thick.  The only band there is would the one NOT holding the picture tube in.   ;) ::)

The journey from "I gotta have one" to "I got one!" to now has been one of the most rewarding and fun ever.  Several individuals have made contributions, both great and small, all vital, all greatly appreciated, to make this project go as far as it has.  These old combinations, Stereo Theaters, Home Theaters, or whatever they are called, from whatever manufacturer you can name, deserve a better fate than to have their audio amps robbed, and the rest set to the curb.  For Magnavox to have the sheer audacity to build one of these with off-the-shelf parts, with a 100% hardwood cabinet and be able to actually sell them when they were priced about what a good used car would cost, is a miracle in itself.  Something like that will never be built again.  TV repairmen hated these things, and I can understand why.  They are huge, heavy, expensive to fix and nearly 100% obsolete by today's standards.  This is the LeSabre sedan of Magnavox.  We have to remember this was the way console stereos of any kind were less than ten years ago....

As a side note, I have never seen a set of casters on anything as beat up as the ones on this ST cabinet are.  How do casters get beat up?  One has its wheel totally gone, one has half a wheel, and the others have chunks missing in their wheels.  This ain't a skateboard, for pity's sake.   ::)

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 08, 2019, 01:47:57 PM »
I've spent some time this morning figuring out what size casters I need.  These casters are on 1 1/2 inch blocks, so I believe the blocks can go to leave room for bigger wheels.  I found one of the mountings for the casters on one end is broken free of the particle board it's glued to.  I'll drill the mounting and use a couple construction screws to stabilize it.  I'll try to take some pictures so this makes sense.  The bottom of this cabinet has had a hard life.  I wondered if something extremely heavy had been sitting on top of the cabinet.  I don't see any evidence of that.  I can use casters that are 3 1/2 inches, give or take, and have the same height on the cabinet I have now.  The 3 1/2 inches is measuring from the top of the mounting plate to the bottom of the wheel.  The casters on here now are the kind that has the stud that goes up into a metal piece.  I will need to offset larger wheels slightly so they will have room to turn.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 09, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »
I was looking at the picture tube I removed.  I noticed a couple bent pins.  I noticed a couple of scratches on one of the inner beams in the cabinet.  When the tube fell out of the brackets, it contacted the wood.  I came THIS CLOSE to necking that picture tube.  Anybody working on a Magnavox or any other TV with a strap around the picture tube should check that strap to make sure it is snug before trying to remove the picture tube, whatever method you're using.  I was going to do it from the front, until several members cautioned against that.  So I tried it the proper way, laying the cabinet on its front, and almost had a disaster anyway.  I simply was not aware of that danger.  Even the ones with the picture tube and chassis that slide out together may have this issue.  Better safe than sorry.  This is my first TV project and I'm leaning a LOT.  One thing I've learned is to check the strap holding the CRT in place before you remove it and the tube together. :-[

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 11, 2019, 08:26:50 PM »
Today was kind of a mop-up day on the old ST.  I removed the Magnalux sensor, the last thing left in the cabinet.  That is not a huge deal, but you should be careful with the little red jewel in front of the sensor.  It is held in by a Jesus clip and will break if you get too aggressive.  I am still not satisfied with how the finish is coming off in the end compartments, so they will need more work.  The end the tuners were on was as dirty as I've ever seen a cabinet.  I had to mask off the paint in the changer compartment.  It cleaned up real nice and I don't want to have to redo it if I can avoid it.  I have removed the old casters and have installed new 3" x 7/8" casters that I got on sale at Harbor Freight.  They are semi-soft rubber and roll easier than the old hard plastic ones that were on there.  I took pictures of the old casters and will post pictures as soon as I get them downloaded.  We are going to reinforce the particle board floor pieces with fiberglass resin instead of trying to replace them.  The glue is allowing some of the fibers in the particle board to flake off, but the panels do not appear to be weakened.  The resin will reinforce them and keep them from shedding.  I will paint the panels on the inside with dark brown paint.  I almost have the entire inside of the cabinet coated with two coats of shellac.  This is a tedious job.  The casters raised the cabinet legs about 1/2 inch higher than they were.  This will help if it is on carpet, as the old wheels allowed the legs to drag on the carpet.  I like these wheels well enough I feel it might be a good stunt to put a set on the Concert Grand and on the Imperial.  The casters are mounted on a piece of 2" X 3" dimensional-cut hardwood, probably poplar.  They run the length of the ends of the cabinet.  They are held in by what I call a trunion, a bolt with a flat top that is screwed to a filling in the wood.  The ends are glued to the particle board.  The ends have broken loose, so the mounting board moves.  I stabilized that board with six, 2 1/2" construction screws, drilled and driven in from the top.  Next up is stain and grain fill plus a couple seal coats of shellac that I believe I'll brush on.  My goal is to be ready for Ron the Refinisher to spray the new finish in a week or so.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 11, 2019, 09:02:01 PM »
Polyester or epoxy resin?  I'm generally partial to epoxies because they are stronger--more adhesive.  The town where my Chevy and the Home-Mark stereo live is Bay City, MI, also home of Gougeon Bros. epoxies.  Two of the  brothers were early innovators in the use of epoxies in boatbuilding and they gradually transitioned from being a company that built boats with epoxies to one that sold epoxies and built a few boats in the off-hours.  They have an excellent web site with information on the use of epoxies and strong technical support. 

https://www.westsystem.com/company/

Once when I had to repair a laminated mahogany part for my boat after it was hit and started delaminating, they recommended using their slow hardener and warming the mixed product to a specific temp in a double boiler to make it less viscous and more penetrating.  They don't recommend thinning with solvents because it affects strength.

The company is now employee-owned.  Its a good organization, with lots of R&D and a customer focus.  No, I'm not an employee, but I know what high quality people the brothers were and the standards they set.  My boats have their epoxies all over.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 11, 2019, 10:09:51 PM »
We are using the same stuff we used on the fiberglass body of our old golf cart I redid a couple years ago.  I'm guessing polyester resin, but I don't know that.  Ron the Refinisher is ramrodding that project. 

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 12, 2019, 05:01:52 PM »
I have some pictures here of the progress of the last couple days.  I have the cabinet in stain at this point.  I have done all I can do.  Next is a wash coat of shellac then sand.  Then probably some grain filling, particularly on the top edge of the cabinet and the ledge under the picture tube.  Those places took a beating when I cleaned the cabinet.  After grain filling, another couple light coats of shellac, sanded to further smooth things out, particularly the top of the cabinet.  The cabinet is natural walnut finish, which is only semi-grain filled.  You'll see how I reinforced the wheels mountings and the various little tasks I had to accomplish.  I'm happy with the project so far.  If it all goes this well, we'll be done in less time than I anticipated.

I am cleaning the shelves where the TV chassis and the picture tube sit.  I'm going to stain and finish them so they will look better.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 12, 2019, 05:07:06 PM »
Here are a few more pictures.

There is a single uninsulated wire that is stapled under the remote control chassis, up to under one of the mounting brackets for the picture tube, back to a square of aluminum foil under where the TV chassis sits.  What this is for I have no idea, but it must be some type of shield of some kind, maybe to prevent some kind of interference?  I have not bothered it, and plan to reproduce the aluminum foil sheet since it is ragged looking.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 12, 2019, 07:00:00 PM »
It's looking good Greg!  With each day, you are one step closer to the finish line.  ;) :)

Bill