Author Topic: Record Changer Issue  (Read 527 times)

chazglenn3

• View Profile
Record Changer Issue
« on: July 03, 2018, 04:48:27 PM »
The record Changer on my Zenith B966 will lift the tone arm and return to the rest and turn off just fine, but when I put an album on the spindle and try to let the turntable play it automatically, the record drops and the tone arm goes all the way to the middle, then backs up a bit and drops. Using the 45 adapter, the tone arm lands in the correct position on a 45. Suggestions?
Charles
USAF Veteran

HiFiFun

• View Profile
Re: Record Changer Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 07:05:58 PM »
Post a photo of the record changer.

Is there a separate record size selector ?

Have you done a thorough cleaning
of the changer mechanism ?

HFF

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 10:51:48 PM »
There is not a separate size selector. I removed the changer and looked things over, but did not clean other than removing some dust. The record player is a Garrard 3500 with the Zenith Micro Touch tone arm.
Charles
USAF Veteran

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 09:55:20 AM »
Size adjustment is integrated with speed selection on this model.

These old changers are notorious for dried lubricants causing erratic operation. There's a C-shaped clip around the spindle holding the platter down. Remove the platter and you should be able to see the top part of the auto-trip mechanism. Should look similar to the top picture on post 1 here: http://vintagehifi.net/index.php/topic,3055.0.html

The big silver main cam/gear has a little silver "auto-trip pawl" on the left side of the cam, next to the spindle bearing. A sticking or non-moving auto-trip pawl is a common culprit of automatic function problems on these units. It should move  as freely as a hippie at Woodstock, and have no trace of lubricant on the pawl, or anything in it's vicinity. The big cam should rotate freely on it's spindle, and come off easily when the clip is removed. If either of these mechanisms seem stuck in place, use a bit of heat to coax them apart and clean them thoroughly.

If there is black goo in the slide on the underside of big cam, leave it there. If not, lubricate it sparingly. The entire changer mechanism will work reliably without grease, keep that in mind when re-lubing.

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 04:45:46 PM »
I'll check it out. Thanks! I managed to break one of the wires loose when changing the cartridge so I needed to pull the turntable again anyway.
Charles
USAF Veteran

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 01:20:07 PM »
Looking at the mechanisms, it seems to me that the tab at the end of this long bar should engage the other lever but isn't. I've ordered the service manual for this turntable in the hopes that it will show how everything is supposed to fit together.
Charles
USAF Veteran

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 02:33:05 PM »
The way these mechanisms are assembled, there isn't much opportunity for misalignment. Dried lubricant is the most common culprit preventing things from moving as they should.

I'd start with the auto trip pawl. If that's not working properly, the auto function is guaranteed to follow suit.

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 10:41:37 PM »
I think I may have bent what is shown as the catch lever on your diagram. The size selector was stuck and I forced it. It looks straight in the diagram and mine is on an angle. What should I use to clean the old grease off?
Charles
USAF Veteran

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 10:40:24 AM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the tab on the catch lever should be perpendicular to its base so it will catch the notches in the selector lever.

Alcohol is a pretty good solvent, I've used brake cleaner, goo-gone, etc. Just keep them away from plastic or rubber. Most of the dried stuff will come off by scraping or wiping, with the solvent removing remnants.

If you take anything apart, take good pictures for reassembly and post them for the benefit of others who may need help in the future!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 03:19:45 PM »
I like to put WD-40 on a Q-tip or small artists brush, then apply it to areas on the changer where there is grease.  The WD-40 will soften the grease.  I can then diagnose the rest of the changer, then remove and apply grease where necessary.  I do this primarily to ascertain whether dried grease is my problem or if something is bent, etc.  There are guys who think it is heresy to use WD-40 on a changer, but it has worked well for me for the reasons stated above.  And I NEVER disassemble a changer for any reason.  I have given a changer a good squirt of WD-40 with good results in the past, but I don't recommend that.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 09:10:40 AM »
I straightened out the tab that I bent, got the tuner section installed (removed to replace the touch control button lights) and had a friend solder the cartridge wire back on that I broke from the connector and installed the new cartridge and stylus.  I installed the turntable and first tried a 45rpm record on auto.  Worked fine as usual.  I then tried a 33rpm album on auto and the tonearm went to to correct spot and lifted and turned off at the end!  The sound is much louder with the new cartridge.  I think the console is finally ready to just enjoy!
Charles
USAF Veteran

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 08:54:49 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response, I took a week off for some surgery.

An easy fix, and you're better than ever. That's great!!! We like a happy ending.

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 11:00:16 PM »
Thank you!  I hope you heal quickly from your surgery!
Charles
USAF Veteran