Author Topic: Shipping info  (Read 806 times)

Mel Layrisson

• View Profile
Shipping info
« on: July 09, 2018, 09:14:32 PM »
Does anyone know how to have a console shipped?
And the best one for the job?

danrclem

• View Profile
Re: Shipping info
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 09:58:12 PM »
I've heard good things about Greyhound but don't know if they deliver items that big.  I'd definitely check out Uship but I'd check out the feedback of the person doing the delivery.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:56:12 PM »
I have a little 4X6 Wells Cargo enclosed trailer that I pull behind the rig.  We'll see how that works.  Shipping big stuff is horrendously expensive.  And I don't trust a stranger will have my best interest in mind when he slams a forklift into my new toy.  If I can't go get it, I don't need it.  Maybe you could find somebody closer to where it is who would help you get it closer to where you are.

Where is the console and where are you?
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Mel Layrisson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 04:13:47 PM »
Im in New Orleans there is Wisconsin

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 07:54:48 AM »
I use uShip often.

I only allow people with stellar antique shipping feedback.

Must be a van type vehicle. No trailers! It will jar everything on bumps.

I'm very specific on how to package or wrap it. Always lock the turntable down.

Never use a 18 wheeler. That's just asking for damage.

I've done this about a dozen times. I call it the console tax.
David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 03:46:23 PM »
How an item is handled is as important as how it is packaged or how it is transported.  If you get a moose on a forklift, the forks will go right thru the best crating you can devise.  You still have to have confidence in who is moving the item.  I typically don't, so I do it myself.

My comments are not intended to be critical of anyone's decisions.  Each person is different, as is each situation.  When I was in the restoration business, I tried to minimize shipping costs.  Customers would not balk at high parts prices.  They would object to paying what they felt was exorbitant shipping charges.  Shipping is what I call a "dead" expense.  One that the customer sees little value in as far as progress on their project was concerned.  So I minimized what I spent for shipping and tried to add shipping to parts prices in order to keep what the customer saw itemized as shipping to a minimum.  I guess that gave me a hesitancy in paying for shipping.  It costs about as much to move something yourself.  I could itemize those costs in such a way that customers felt better about it.

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 09:32:26 AM »
My time is valuable so that's a weight I have to account for. For instance I'm currently getting something shipped to me from very far away for well under $400. By the time I rent a van and gas take time off from work I'm out about a thousand bucks. Plus if I go through some Podunk town and get a ticket then I will need to get an attorney so I don't get higher insurance rates for the next five years.

Yes I too don't usually trust any other monkeys touching anything. I refuse to use any kind of 18-wheeler where a forklift may be involved. That is definitely asking for a bad day.

There's always risk either way if I haul it or someone else does.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 09:53:11 AM »
I agree 1000%.  And, if you hire somebody to haul it, you don't have to sightsee at every little Podunk village between here and there.  I bounced my Concert Grand up US 49 thru Oklahoma in the bed of a GMC pickup.  The fact that it still works is nothing short of a miracle.  I guess my thing is that if I look for eons for something and finally find it, my natural paranoia won't let me trust somebody else to bring it to me in one piece.  I'm glad you experiences with shippers has been generally positive.

If you need a recommendation for a road at least as rough as US 49, may I suggest US 31 in Michigan.  I hauled the Stereo Theater down that cowpath awhile back.  It, too, arrived in one piece.

I'm retired and I work cheap, so we enjoy these little excursions to go retrieve something Magnavox.   My sidekick dog is not so thrilled sometimes, but he likes looking at critters along the way.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 11:13:05 AM »
I agree, being a Michigander, the roads suck. The roads right around Lansing are great.  Since that's the state capital I guess they get special treatment.  I'm waiting for all the money we voted in last year just for roads to kick in, or maybe it did and it was spent around Lansing.  ::)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 11:23:29 AM »
To be fair, US 31 really belongs to Indiana.  It starts in Indy.  Just as rough in Indiana, too.   ;)

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 06:45:33 AM »
I do like road trips and seeing different places is fun. Lately my work is very demanding is my problem. I'm the only guy that fixes everything here.

Great points Electra

SteveJB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 05:39:11 AM »
The sockets are empty because I pulled the rubes to test them.  I don't have a tester and I'm waiting to get to my club which had one I could use.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 07:20:51 AM »
I think this comment should be in the next thread down.  ;)

Bill