Author Topic: Do these count?  (Read 357 times)

rdnzl

• View Profile
Do these count?
« on: July 19, 2018, 05:18:23 PM »
A couple of my oldies from 1936

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Do these count?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 10:54:40 PM »
Those are two handsome radios!  You have a right to be proud of those.  Thank you for sharing with the rest of us.

This is a forum dedicated to the care and feeding of console stereo instruments.  While there is discussion on instruments that technically do not produce stereophonic output, they are essentially the same animal.  We have a board on this forum dedicated to the discussion of old radios, but you may find participation there rather limited.  Most of the folks who frequent this forum are more into audio than radios, per se.  That is why this forum was started.  Because the folks on the other forum dedicated to old radios turned their noses up at console stereos.  I hope you will stick around and enjoy console stereos with us.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 05:36:27 PM »
I'm familiar with hobby snobbery.  I fly fish, AND I bait fish. when fly fishermen hear that, I get all sorts of grief.  I also know the "antique radio" crowd.  They can be a bit cantankerous occasionally.  And I know better than to even mention a stereo console.   :D

I anything audio related. From Antique radios from the '30's to today's modern audio gear.  I have a soft spot for 1970's audio, like Sansui, Marantz, Kenwood and Pioneer. Reel to reel tape. Nakamichi cassette decks.  Mention anything solid state to some audio folks, and they will go off on a diatribe about how tubes are the only way to go.

Part of the beauty, as I see it, is that these old stereo consoles get passed on by the so called purists.  Leaving more for us, and the prices stay much saner.

I try not to be narrow minded when it comes to hobbies. Although I do find stamp collecting to be pretty odd.  8)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 06:44:52 PM »

I anything audio related. From Antique radios from the '30's to today's modern audio gear.  I have a soft spot for 1970's audio, like Sansui, Marantz, Kenwood and Pioneer. Reel to reel tape. Nakamichi cassette decks.  Mention anything solid state to some audio folks, and they will go off on a diatribe about how tubes are the only way to go.

I try not to be narrow minded when it comes to hobbies. Although I do find stamp collecting to be pretty odd.  8)

I'm completely with you.  I have various forms of audio electronics from 1924 to this decade.  Some are low-fi, some high.  But they are all interesting in some way.

And I have that same Zenith, sans cabinet.  It gave up on me abruptly at the end of the winter and awaits work when the outdoor season is over.

Chris Campbell

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 06:57:47 PM »
Both of these Zeniths have been fully restored electronically, and I had RCA input jacks added so I can plug in my Bluetooth receiver.  I stream audio from my laptop or phone to them, and you'd be surprised at how great they sound. Especially the 10S-160 in the bottom pic. The sound from it is really nice. 

AM reception where I live is horrendous. So I use them for music played with Bluetooth.  When I have guests, they are always surprised at my "old radios".  Of which I have 4 in my living room.  I also have a Philco 116X and a Sparton 1867 Triloian, both fully restored. 

But, back to console stereos, I'm really enjoy my newly acquired Magnavox. I'm sure it won't be my last.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 10:43:37 PM »
I have six Magnavoxes and one Motorola.  I'm looking for my seventh Magnavox as we speak.   ;)

In case you are curious, my seventh Magnavox will be a little Imperial, model 1ST665.  No antique ivory.  No substitutions.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »
That looks like a very interesting one. I will have to keep an eye out for one of those.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 12:04:20 PM »
Your two Zeniths are beautiful.  I have a Zenith 760 from around 1934 and a Philco 41-280 which I think is 1941ish. Both need restoration.  The rest of my audio gear varies from mono and stereo portables, reel to reels, RCA 45 players, modern component audio, to full size mono and stereo consoles in a variety of brands.  I don't really favor any brand but I do have three Magnavox consoles, and that's only because they were cheap.  :) 

Do you have reel to reel decks or players, and if so which is your favorite?  Just curious.

Bill

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 02:23:50 PM »
I like Akai reel to reel decks.  I have a few of them.  I have a couple Nakamichi cassette decks as well. If a person keeps an eye out, he can find tape decks in pretty decent condition for not too much money.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 03:33:25 PM »
Thanks!   I think I need to find an Akai.  I'm on my second Sony.  The first I had for years and it worked great, it was just a cheap model.  I was in a used audio store and they had a 3 motor auto reverse model that was reasonable and would take mine in on trade. (mine finally needed work)  I didn't pay any attention to it's performance as I usually just listen as I do chores.  I discovered, as I listened seriously one day, that the left channel was weak on highs.  Cleaning the heads did not help and I'm not sure what's wrong. Reel to Reels scare me for repairs.  I think it's time for a different one.   ;)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 06:59:33 PM »
I wonder if Gary at VM Enthusiasts could give your any information on how to get your R-R tape deck serviced.  I thought they worked on that type of thing.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 07:50:25 AM »
I never thought about Gary, I email him and ask.

Thanks,
Bill