Author Topic: I'm glad I did not toss this one...  (Read 526 times)

electra225

• View Profile
I'm glad I did not toss this one...
« on: July 25, 2018, 03:50:44 PM »
My wife took me to a sale here in our community on Saturday.  I ended up with five parts sets and one little nasty dirty GE portable stereo.  I was cleaning in the garage this afternoon.  I decided to strip this little stereo of its changer and some parts and trash can the rest.  I plugged it in and turned it on, expecting the fire to fly.  To my astonishment, the turntable started rotating and I did not see any smoke.  Not even any filter cap hum.  Hmmm.  That's not supposed to happen.   ;)

I had a stack of Christmas records ready to go to the church rummage sale.  I put one on and was surprised to hear Gordon McRae singing "Jingle Bells."  Hmmm.  That's not supposed to happen.   ;)

This thing is a model RP-2153 "Swingline 300".  I was familiar with the Swingline stereos, but most of them are solid state.  This one has four tubes:  35W4 rectifier, 35EH5 single ended stereo output and a 12AX7 pre-amp tube.  It has a "Custom" changer, a version of the VM 1200 series.  GE C-100 ceramic cartridge. It still drops records and actually shuts off at the end of the record.  All this with a inch of dirt on every surface.  I believe it will clean up and build out nicely.  It needs grille cloth, and I have some black burlap left.  This is in the charcoal cabinet.  I have a tan one, but it is only a three-tuber and does not have the fancy changer.  This one is a keeper, I think.  Really kinda cute.  This one has four six inch speakers.  Not a Concert Grand, but sounds good for what it is.  A new needle, replace the filter caps, maybe go thru the changer and give it a good cleaning should fix it right up.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Bill

• View Profile
Re: I'm glad I did not toss this one...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 06:11:53 AM »
Surprises and keepers around every corner.  ;)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 08:10:11 PM »
I thought of you when I got this, Bill.  You'd have enjoyed that auction.   :)

I have some pictures that I will post when I get them downloaded. 
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 01:33:55 PM »
I've been playing this little stereo in the garage while I work on the ST.  This stereo is far from high fidelity if you compare it to a Magnavox stereo.  But I'll have to say it is pleasant to listen to.  It actually has bass you can hear.  The amplifier is basically an AA5 setup, but it provides plenty of volume with good tone and clarity.  The tone arm looks like a plow, but it is surprisingly light, a bit over 4 grams.  That's about what a Collaro tracks at.  This little stereo will be added to my collection.  I have the cheaper sibling to this one, and it now will enter my repair list.  I may be more careful when I encounter one of these little GE stereos.  I had every intention of destroying this thing then robbing its usable parts.  I typically don't do that, but the stuff I got at this auction should have been tossed for the most part.  This little stereo kind of sneaked up on me.   :-[

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 06:40:51 PM »
Here are some pictures of my new auction stereo.  I took it all apart and cleaned the controls.  I still have a hum when I touch the tone arm or any part of the changer.  My guess is I have a floating ground somewhere.  And I have a speaker that is either loose in the cabinet or has a slightly rubbing voice coil.  The speakers are coded "137 345" which means they were supplied by Chicago Telephone Supply, built the 45th week of 1963.  This would make this stereo a 1964 model.  Built in the Decatur, Illinois GE facility.  The cabinet on the stereo is painted metal.  The grille cloth appears to be faded burlap-type material.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 06:45:10 PM »
The tone arm tracks at a tad over four grams.  The overarm needs a good adjustment and probably the changer could stand to be gone thru.  Works fine now, just does not always shut off after the last record has played.

The hum I mentioned earlier is controlled by the volume control.  If I don't touch the changer, the thing is absolutely silent.  The filter cap is mounted up behind the "Trimline 300" inside the cabinet.  It will be a royal pain to access.  I'm going to leave it alone until it causes a problem. 

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 07:09:50 PM »
And there is always room for one more....I like it!   :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 07:51:00 PM »
This one is little.   ;)

My idea was to remove the RCA jacks that go to the amp and clean those good to eliminate the hum.  Do you believe I'm on the right track or do you have another suggestion?  You are MR. VM, you know!   :)

I really thought cleaning the controls would do the trick.  I have been wrong before.  I can't imagine what else it could be, since there is not much there to go wrong.

I finally found the pictures of the tan one I have.  Not quite as fancy as this one.   ;)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 11:14:06 AM »
Your photos of the labels remind me if the famous GE disappearing ink.  Theirs seem to fade must faster than other brands.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 10:54:05 AM »
The ink on those labels was only designed to last 50 years.  They fade beyond that time.  We are not supposed to be working on these things after 50 years, I guess.   ;)

Rain water and mouse pee is hard on GE printing ink.   :)

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 03:00:26 PM »
The person that gave me my Magnavox Imperial also had a couple of smaller record players that she said are still available... while I didn't think to take a close look at the larger, suitcase style player I do recall it looking very similar to this one... at least in size, dual speakers and similar latch type.  Would anyone happen to have a photo they can post of the unit closed up?  I'm trying to see if it jogs my memory.

Much thanks in advance!
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 07:14:20 PM »
My theory on freebies is always say yes  if you think somebody else will want them.  You can be the temporary custodian.  It keeps good stuff out of the trash pile.  I finally gave away my grandmother's tube-chassis RCA New Vista TV this spring, and I've just found a taker for the original shipping box for a 1935 Wards Airline table radio.  I've had the box for about 30 years and always figured I'd find somebody who would really want it.  Now I'm looking for a taker for the Victor R-52 console, no innards.  I have a Victor RE-45, the version with the phonograph, so I recognized the cabinet and rescued it.  It would be nice to have it out of my shop and in the hands of somebody with the radio chassis. Anybody have a chassis for a Victor R-52?

Chris Campbell

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 09:33:36 PM »
My theory on freebies is always say yes  if you think somebody else will want them.  You can be the temporary custodian.  It keeps good stuff out of the trash pile.  I finally gave away my grandmother's tube-chassis RCA New Vista TV this spring, and I've just found a taker for the original shipping box for a 1935 Wards Airline table radio.  I've had the box for about 30 years and always figured I'd find somebody who would really want it.  Now I'm looking for a taker for the Victor R-52 console, no innards.  I have a Victor RE-45, the version with the phonograph, so I recognized the cabinet and rescued it.  It would be nice to have it out of my shop and in the hands of somebody with the radio chassis. Anybody have a chassis for a Victor R-52?

Chris Campbell

Hey Chris- oh, I am definitely taking this and anything else they offer- I am trying to job my memory about what the suitcase stereo was.  They had a boatload of old vinyl... a lot of 78's but I'm not sure I could manage to odor of the long term basement storage!
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 10:48:14 PM »
I don't seem to have a picture of mine closed up.  If I get a chance to acquire another of these GE Trimline tube models, I'll do it.  These little cheap stereos are pretty good performers for what they are.  The VM changers make them almost bulletproof. 

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 11:07:18 PM »

Hey Chris- oh, I am definitely taking this and anything else they offer- I am trying to job my memory about what the suitcase stereo was.  They had a boatload of old vinyl... a lot of 78's but I'm not sure I could manage to odor of the long term basement storage!

Two solutions for odor:  First, a little ozone machine, although ozone can be harmful to rubber, and second, dishes of household ammonia.  If you sniff the ammonia bottle, it'll attack your nasal passages, but set out in shallow dishes, it's not noticeable and it kills odors.  Grab the 78s and LPs, put 'em under some plastic with bowls of ammonia, and see if it doesn't help.

When I had a severe cooking incident in my house years ago (pan boiled dry, bottom melted, food hit the burner, nasty smell all through the house), the insurance co. rented me a commercial ozone machine.  After a couple days the odor was all gone.  Miracle!  I've got a small household ozone machine that came in a mound of items at an auction (also in the mound was a cool Stromberg-Carlson AU-36B PA amp, with 4 6L6s in parallel push-pull.

Chris Campbell