Author Topic: 1958 Magnavox Fantasia on the auction site  (Read 209 times)

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
1958 Magnavox Fantasia on the auction site
« on: July 27, 2018, 08:39:14 AM »
There is a 1958 Magnavox Fantasia on the auction site.  Looks to be complete, including reverse painted wood grain top slider glass.  This is a very rare bird, made only one year in 1958, one step down from the CG and above the Brittany.  However, it looks like the Brittany and Fantasia contain the same electronics, with the Fantasia having an extra bass speaker.  This is the first Fantasia I've seen with numerous images to document the console.  If one performs an internet search for "Magnavox Fantasia", results are minimal.
Paul

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
Re: 1958 Magnavox Fantasia on the auction site
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 08:45:51 AM »
More images:
Paul

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 10:47:46 AM »
     I guess Fantasia was named for Walt Disney's multi-channel movie from the thirties ? They don't mention it in the ad but it's so different a title from the other regal sounding names for the other series. Also, there seems to be an extra position besides FM AM PHONO and AUX and that is STEREO ?  in the rectangular box in the selector switch. Otherwise it looks just like the 1957.  I guess the tape input is stereo ?
        I see the CONCERT and MOOD switches. Coincidentally, after the thread of Bill's where his Berkshire had a MOOD CONCERT  switch push pull on the variable treble control without a label, I suddenly see a Motorola ad for a unit where they say that they have a Mood switch for when you want background music, background being the switch label on my aunt's 60s Wards Airline console.   
       I have never seen a tuner chassis with a raised shield for the IF section.  Was there a circuit board under that ?
      I feel sorry for the moving men delivering that brute to a third story in an exclusive Manhattan apartment house with no elevator.
       What could a Concert Grand that year possibly have that this didn't have ?  More speakers ? 
     A truly beautiful piece of equipment, almost something you could only expect from a specialty type of custom make instead of a major national company. 

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 12:06:08 PM »
Paul, that is awesome.  It shows to be loaded in a van, does this mean you brought it home?  ;)  Hope so! 

Ed!  Fantasia and Concert Grand's have the same number of speakers.  Concert Grand has twin amps and weighs more.  :o

Bill

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 04:17:14 PM »
Bill, No I didn't buy it.  It's up for auction right now.  (Not mine) Too far for me, it's in western Illinois.  Buy it now $999.99 or best offer:  search the big auction site for Magnavox Fantasia, you'll get the link.
Paul

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 05:13:22 PM »
Certainly a rare unit.  Perhaps not as totl as a CG but definitely one for a collection.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 07:54:11 PM »
That would be doable for me (Michigan) but it's not in the budget at this time.  I'm more of the $50.00-$100.00 price range.  ;)

Bill