Author Topic: Had one given to me today. Not sure what model.  (Read 941 times)

rdnzl

• View Profile
Had one given to me today. Not sure what model.
« on: July 29, 2018, 05:16:44 PM »
I saw a listing that said "moving, everything must go".  This is what I ended up getting for free. The radio works, and sounds great. I plugged my phone into it, and my music sounds really nice through it.

The knobs exhibit a little scratchy sound when turning them.  There is no needle in the cartridge, and the automatic funtion seems to not function, as I can't get the "dial knob" for the turntable to go into the "AUTO" position. The table turns while in manual mode.  The tone arm floats freely from side to side. SO I have an old needle I will install to test it out probably in a day or two.

The main reason I got this is to possibly switch out the turntable on my smaller console, that looks to use the same turntable. That turntable has skipping issues, as the tone arm binds up laterally. It's pretty dusty, and has people grime here and there. Some scratches, but nothing too hideous. Some Olde English will make it look a lot better.

Anyone know which model this is?  It goes pretty loud, and has decent tone. I haven't had the back off, as it is so HOT outside, and I dropped it off at my storage unit. It must be 100 degrees over there.

Bobby Basham

• View Profile
Re: Had one given to me today. Not sure what model.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 11:05:51 AM »
It appears to be some type of Astro-Sonic 40 from around 1968 with a W620 turntable. If you remove the back panel you will find the model number, finish, run number etc. Use the model number to find something similar in a 1967-68 brochure because of the newer turntable.  Other than that, the model number won't be any help at all.

If you need to do repairs, you need to get the chassis# off the receiver and the underside of the turntable to get to SEPARATE (schematic) repair manuals.  Those turntables wear like iron, just needing proper cleaning and lube and very minor (if needed) adjustments.  No need to swap out.

I'm no professional, but have been dealing with these beasts for 25+ years, and I have the exact same model in your avatar.  Mine is dated April, 1968 and have had it for over 20 years.

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 11:37:41 AM »
I find it odd that so many people bash these Astro Sonic consoles. The two that I now have both sound really good. Sure, they aren't wine glass sniffing audiophile quality, but for a rec room, garage, or a party, they are perfect. They can be had for next to nothing, and from what I've been reading on here, aren't very hard to work on.

This one has the "timbre" knob, for whatever that's worth. It seems to do something with the upper midrange.

Bobby Basham

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 11:45:34 AM »
The one given to you would fall into this category.  This one has a slightly different (W621/W622...can't remember) turntable, but is interchangeable.

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 02:36:48 PM »
If a person was to take a magnetic cartridge turntable, like a Dual, Garrard, BSR, etc, with a good cartridge like a shure or Stanton, and plugged it into the input jacks on the back, would it function as a good turntable replacement?  My way of thinking is that it should work, since I can plug my phone into those jacks with good results.

What say you?

Bobby Basham

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 04:15:49 PM »
The aux input jacks are for external sources like tape decks, CD players and your phone because they have built-in electronics to boost their output signal.  A magnetic cartridge needs a preamp to do the same thing.  I would leave it as because magnetic cartridges are more sensitive, and when you got a 12" or 15" woofer sitting beneath it, you're gonna get feedback. I tried it and didn't like the results unless you like to listen to music with no bass. Component turntables weren't made to sit close to speakers in an open-back cabinet moving a lot of air and vibration.

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 02:45:28 PM »
Astro Sonic 40? That would mean its 40 watts?

It does sound pretty good.  But the cabinet isn't the prettiest thing I've ever seen.  Fisrts glance, it looks ok, until you get close and really look. It's going to need some TLC, and the turntable might be an issue. The platter can be stopped with minimal finger pressure, so I would assume the idler may need a new tire?  So there would go 40 or 50 bucks.  Not sure it would be worth it. 

Bobby Basham

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 03:56:02 PM »
I am guessing that you have an Astro-Sonic 40 which means 40 watts.  If the turntable can be stopped with minimal pressure, it could also mean that linkage that pushes the idler outward to make contact with the inside of the platter rim could have some dried grease and gunk from over the years and needs to be cleaned and lubed properly.  The same applies to the dial knob.  A hardened idler wheel will make noise and inconsistent speed. These turntables wear like iron and usually a good cleaning should take care of all the issues.

Go to the DOWNLOADS section at the very top of this page and look through all the Maggie brochures around 1967-68 or even newer to see if you can find a picture of yours.  They are only listed by model number, so get that off the sticker that's pasted on the base of the cabinet when you remove the back panel.  While you have that off, look for a date sticker on the receiver to find an approximate date of your unit and it would say something like
"R204-00-00
Chassis #
12/68" (December, 1968).  It's about the size of a postage stamp.

It sounds like you never worked on a turntable before and should get some help or take it somewhere and have it serviced, which could be hard to find.  Your issues are not major and is a result of years of accumulation of dried grease and gunk.  Your turntable is not toast.

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 03:31:26 PM »
I received a new needle yesterday. This morning I installed it, and the record player plays records and it sounds real nice. I haven't messed with trying to fix the automatic function, but the turntable is getting up to speed faster than it did when I first got it.  I think just using it might be limbering it up a bit. At first, it took almost a minute to get up to speed. Now it's maybe 6 or 8 seconds.

This thing is HEAVY.  I currently have it in my storage unit. I will be bringing it home soon, once it's not a hundred bazillion degrees outside.  I picked up a little flat dolly thing to set it on so I can wheel it into the house.

So far, I'm into this console for $15 (price of a new needle).

Bobby Basham

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 04:11:20 PM »
I'm glad things are starting to limber up a bit with the turntable.  Lack of use plays a big deal with issues, and I have turntables that act a little sluggish at first from lack of use, but they get better after they've been operated for a while.  If you look at the underside of the turntable, you can see the long linkage to the auto function and trace it to where it is stuck.

As far as flat dollies go, they are your best friend, and I used them to move these beasts by myself, they are way heavier than yours. These are Astro-Sonic 100's with the first one being an Imperial. 

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 12:01:18 PM »
I haven't removed the turntable yet, but I've been playing the unit.  I've hooked up my laptop, and the music I have on it sounds really nice. I like the addition of the "timbre" knob.  I livens up the vocals and horns. The speakers sound good, and there is plenty of bass. Lots of bass.

A couple of the knobs crackle a little when turned.  I have a can of DeOxit around somewhere, that I will use to see if it will clear that up.

The cabinet has some scratches here and there. There was some drips and streaks of some white paint on the lids, but I got them off easily with a plastic scraper, without damamging the finish. I will be going over it eventually with Olde English scratch cover, and maybe a furniture pen. 

I did play a couple of records manually. Great sound quality, but my ear detects a bit of wow. Not a lot, but enough that if I play a slow piano piece, I can hear the pitch change just a l little bit.  I'm not sure if maybe the idler that drives the turntable isn't pressed tight enough to the turntable, or the rubber "tire" could be worn.

All in all, I'm liking this console.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 12:11:00 PM »
Grease job and oil change and I new idler will do wonders. The idler tire is probably like cement. 

Bill

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 12:47:40 PM »
Where's the best source for an idler?

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 05:12:43 PM »
This is where I go and a lot of others here on the forum.

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/

Bill

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 05:17:45 PM »
Thanks.  Now I will need to figure out which wheel fits this turntable.