Author Topic: Had one given to me today. Not sure what model.  (Read 1525 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Had one given to me today. Not sure what model.
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 05:20:22 PM »
Set yourself up with an account and log in.  Lot's of info that will help with that decision.

Bill

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 05:23:32 PM »
I'll bee looking for an idler for a  Collaro, right?

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 08:11:17 PM »
Just tell Gary what you have and he will make sure you get what you need!   :)
Charles
USAF Veteran

Bobby Basham

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 11:44:06 PM »
The smaller wheel is the idler wheel.  Check it to be sure that it is indeed hard like plastic. I've never seen one in that condition, unless it's been stored in some old shed somewhere.  Sometimes, a light sanding and some rubber renew will bring it back to life.

The larger wheel is for the change cycle and works off the motor, too.  The changer will cycle even when the platter is removed. Maybe it's stuck and that's why you can't use the auto function.  Look at those links for both wheels and see if you can move them.

Click on the file name, not the pic, or it will be too big.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 11:47:43 PM »
You may have to send your drive tire in to Gary to have it rebuilt.  I don't know if he has stock on hand or not.  He might trade yours for one already rebuilt.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 10:47:32 AM »
Thats what mine looks like.  What is rubber renew?  Where would I get some?

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 11:53:24 AM »
I would try sanding the rubber first.  Be careful not to create a flat spot as you sand.  I sand by rolling the rubber on the sandpaper (like a tire running on the road) light pressure only.  Black will start to appear on the sandpaper and the rubber on the idler will have a flat black look instead of shinny.  Also be sure to clean the surface that the idler contacts on the platter. I use rubbing alcohol.  I have good luck with this method.   :)

Bill

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 11:57:23 AM »
I'll give that a try. 

Is there a liquid that makes rubber swell up a little?  I know that transmission fluid for cars can make rubber swell, but it would probably leave slippery residue.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2018, 12:30:32 PM »
If you alter/swell/change the idler rubber I will affect the speed.  Listening to vocals may leave you with Alvin and the Chipmunks.  I have that with my RCA 45 player.  It needs a new idler, I just have not ordered one yet.

Bill

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2018, 12:51:38 PM »
Good point. I always hated Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Bobby Basham

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 01:04:42 PM »
While you have the platter removed, check that set of washers/bearings at the base of the spindle for any gunk buildup.  There may be about five of them and they should be cleaned to keep the platter spinning smoothly, reducing any vibration that could be transferred to the inside platter rim which will be picked up by the phono cartridge.  It's been a while since I worked on these, but some parts need to be clean/dry while others need to be lubed.  If you lift out all those washers, they MUST be put back in the order in which they were removed.

kd4pbs

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 03:57:32 PM »
Nice Maggie!  I wish the Drexel cabinet on the Motorola SK53WC that my family was given was in such good shape.
This is my first post, so go easy on me, but can someone please explain how an idler wheel of a different diameter will cause a turntable to spin faster or slower?  I've red this often in different places but for the life of me can't figure out how that would happen.  Idler wheels that aren't slipping simply don't affect speed depending on their diameter, unless they ride against a tapered shaft and are moved along that shaft's axis, like many of the older idler wheel driven turntables are configured to adjust for speed.
Thanks-

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 05:16:00 PM »
Its like if your car comes with 15 inch wheels. The speedometer is calibrated to that size tires and wheels.  if you change to 13 inch wheels, your speedometer with show faster than you are actually going because the smaller wheels are spinning faster to achieve the same speed.  The RPMs of the smaller tires will always be more than the RPM's of the larger ones, given the same forward velocity.

Not exactly scientific, but it's what I got.  8) 8)

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 05:51:15 PM »
Don't mess around with a 50 to 60 year old idler.  If you can get a new one and it lasts as long as the original, it'll outlast YOU.  besides, if Gary or our other suppliers stop, there goes the parts.  Replace it while you can.

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 05:54:16 PM »
This particular console is in my storage unit. I will be bringing it to the house some time next week. At that time I will fully dive into the turntable. 

Thanks for all the advice and tips!