Author Topic: Record player shuts off when Tonearm is at the beginning of record.  (Read 224 times)

John B

• View Profile
I have a 1965 Magnavox Micromatic Astro-Sonic, 1ST647, and when the record changer moves the tonearm to the beginning of a record (any size) the changer shuts off.  When it shuts off, I can put it to ON and the record will play and then reject at the end and shut off normally.  I don't know what to do if there is anything to do at all.

Thanks for any advice,

John B

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
Re: Record player shuts off when Tonearm is at the beginning of record.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 09:02:02 PM »
Hello John, On the Micromatics, you have to place the records on the spindle so the tone arm can "feel" the edge of the record.  If it goes too far inward, it senses no record and shuts off.  With your initial question I'm assuming you are placing the records on the spindle, then letting the changer cycle so it can sense the record.  I really haven't worked on any of the Collaro changers, but I do know they are very reliable and are workhorses, a very good changer.  One thing I do like about them is the changer cycles at the same speed regardless of record speed.  The other changers are driven from the platter gear and at the 78 setting, most of them are very fast.  I hope I'm understanding this correctly.

Steve

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 12:47:00 PM »
Does the record fall, the tone arm returns to rest and shuts off?  Does the record fall, the tone arm falls on the record, then it shuts off?  This is one of THE most aggravating habits of a Collaro changer.  Sounds to me like you need to clean and lube the mechanicals of the changer.  Something is sticking and is not recognizing there is a record on the platter.  When you put the tone arm on manually, it knows there is a record and it works like it should.  Sorta.  I use a crude procedure to diagnose this condition.  I won't share it in the interest of forum unity.   ;)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 04:10:26 PM »
The record would fall and the tonearm would go to the beginning of the record and touch down and then it would shut off.  GOOD NEWS!  I found that the Shut-Off Lever was stuck so I cleaned it with Alcohol and Deoxit 5 and put oil on it and worked it back and forth by hand and now the tonearm comes onto the beginning of the record and doesn't shut off.  And when I turn the On/Off Switch to Auto it recycles and shuts off. 
My PROBLEM now is that the record will not recycle at the end of the record.  I followed the instructions in the manual but I can't get it to work.  This, I hope, will be the last issue. 

Any more help is appreciated,

John B.

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 09:55:13 PM »
GOT IT!
I found the reason the Tonearm would not reject at the end of a record and that was because the Hub Projection on the Turntable was not hitting the Striker Arm and that was because I had put a washer under the Turntable Steel Thrust Bearing Assembly and that was because I thought I had lost a washer.  I took that washer out and now at the end of the record the Striker Arm is hit by the Hub Projection and that causes the reject.
Cleaning the Shut-Off Lever was HUGE.  I had looked at it before but it takes a while to know what things are.  After I cleaned it with alcohol and Deoxit F5 and oiled it with Hoppe's it works like new and allows the Turntable to keep turning when the Tonearm hits the beginning of the record.
I'm done.  Tomorrow I'll finish putting the console all together and put it up for sale on Craigslist.
#PERSEVERANCE

John B.