Author Topic: Aother one. Looks promising. Don't know what model it is.  (Read 793 times)

rdnzl

• View Profile
Aother one. Looks promising. Don't know what model it is.
« on: August 05, 2018, 08:44:13 PM »
I'm going tomorrow to pick this up. Got it for 20 bucks.  I don't know what model it is, but it has the older style tonearm and different knobs that my other two Maggies. Supposedly everything works as it should. I will find out.

rdnzl

• View Profile
Re: Aother one. Looks promising. Don't know what model it is.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 09:38:17 PM »
Digging through some scans of catalogs, and I came up with this, from 1962.

This might be it.   8 speakers???? That sounds interesting.

And what's this about an FM stereo "simple plug-in translator"?

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 04:31:20 AM »
It's also known as a multiplex adapter for FM stereo.  Without it, you'd be left with the simulcast system where one channel was on the AM band and played through one speaker and FM carried the second channel.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 07:09:25 AM »
I have the same cabinet.  I have named it the mystery Magnavox because everything is totally different from what's described in your post.  Mine has 12" woofers and horns, a 9300 series amp, a different tuner and is only a 5 knobber.  Knobs are small, old style, with a small cheap looking bezel.  I do have the MPX adaptor but it's mounted in the wrong place.  The changer is the same as pictured in your post. It's Magnavox being Magnavox.  ;)  Somewhere in the downloads I found it using the name Symphony but it read like your post. You may have purchased a Little Imperial which is definitely worth twenty bucks. No matter what it is bring it home.  :)

More photos please once you get it home and opened up.

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 07:31:30 AM »
That's a Symphony.  THE best series of stereo Magnavox ever built.  The only series with eight cone speakers.  That one is a 657, mine is a 655.  The MPX adapter hangs over the output tubes if you mount it like the factory says to.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 07:49:36 AM »
Bill, refresh my memory if you would.  Did we find a model number on your "mystery Magnavox?"  We may have to wait until you get the guts out of the cabinet so we can find the ink stamping where they put the model number and finish inside the cabinet for manufacturing purposes.  The stamp in my Stereo Theater says model 417.  It is under the amplifier....

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 08:42:12 AM »
Is it the model in the catalog photo I posted?

I don't see anything about a Symphony.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 08:58:30 AM »
Look in the 1961 catalog.  "Swedish Contemporary" is the nomenclature for that cabinet style.  The Symphony series is my specialty.  I'd have a house full if the wife would let me.   ;)

If I had to get rid of all my Magnavox stereos but one, I'd keep the Symphony. 

I can't see the "Diamond Needle" sticker, but it appears to have FM-AFC, so it is at least a late 1961 model.  The stickers were unique year to year, at least 1959-1963.

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 09:03:35 AM »
Do these have the inputs on the back for a reel to reel deck?

They have tubes?

Are they stereo?

Where would a person get the multiplex adapter?

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 09:07:55 AM »
Yes, yes, and yes.   :)

You see the "Tape" position on the function switch?  That is for a tape player or CD player.  The connections are on the back of the tuner chassis, hanging upside down.  "Tape In Ch1 & Ch2" and "Tape Out Ch1 & Ch2".  Line level input.

That instrument will have seven tubes in its "magnificent" 9300 series amp and eight in its 5700 series tuner, plus two in the 7000 series MPX adapter if you have one, for a total of 17 tubes.  Full stereo with the exception of FM as noted above.

MPX (Multiplex) adapters are available on ebay.  Not very expensive, don't give over $30 for one.  Not hard to install.  It helps to get all three connecting cables.  There are inputs on the rear panel of the tuner (hanging upside down again) to connect the MPX.  We can talk you thru that procedure when the time comes.  You will want to do a good tune-up on whatever adapter your purchase.  They need caps changed and tubes tested.

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 09:14:03 AM »
Maybe I'll get lucky and it will have the adapter already.

What makes these your favorite model?

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 09:23:01 AM »
I doubt it will have the MPX.  The 656 is the model of Symphony with a factory MPX.  If it has one, it was added aftermarket.

I like everything about my Symphony.  It is mahogany, and NOBODY did mahogany like Magnavox.  The electronics are all "A" parts that work together in total harmony.  It has rollicking performance, rowdy yet subdued.  Nothing reproduces the Nashville Sound like a Symphony.  My Symphony is like owning a '66 Impala SS with a 327 and Powergide.  They built more potent machinery, but nothing worked quite as well.  Like your favorite pair of sneakers or those old jeans with holes in the knees.  The bigger Magnavox instruments are impressive in their own right, not taking anything away from them.  But my Symphony is PERFECT.  I grin every time I power it up. 

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 09:27:36 AM »
What makes you sure it's a Symphony, and not the Series 200 in the scan I posted above?  They have the same model number, 1-ST657.

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 09:59:20 AM »
I guess what I mean is, how are they different from each other?  Or is the 200 just the name they used for the next model year?

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 11:37:57 AM »
The "Series 200" moniker refers to the tuner.  The five-knobbers were called "Series 100" and the six-knobbers were called "Series 200".  Has nothing whatsoever to do with instrument nomenclature.  Symphony is the instrument series.  Concerto, Contemporary, Symphony, "little" Imperial, Stereo Theater, Imperial and Concert Grand was the hierarchy of Magnavox stereo with push-pull amplifiers.  If you would like to see these series with the exception of "little" Imperial all in one place, refer to my Gallery at the top of this page.  Also refer to the 1961 catalog for the different models and their prices and equipment.

My next Magnavox will be a 1ST665 little Imperial.

How do I know it's a Symphony?  How do you know it's not?   ;)

I guess the best way to answer that question is by referring to documentation.  For the 1962 model year, Magnavox dropped some of their nomenclature and adopted different ones.  The "Series 200" tuner was referred to only in 1962.  For 1963, Magnavox pretty much threw their tube instruments under the bus, while still trying to sell leftovers.  Anything goes for 1963 when it comes to the tube models.  This is why I like referring to the 1961 catalog.

Another way to "guesstimate" series is to know the cabinet sizes.  Typically, (there are exceptions.  This is Magnavox!) you will find the Contemporary and Concerto series in a 42" cabinet.  You will find the Symphony and little Imperial series in 48" cabinets, the Imperial series in a 54" cabinet and the Concert Grand in a 58" cabinet and, finally, the Stereo Theater in a 60" cabinet.

With my collection, I wanted one of each series so I could compare performance side by side.  The Little Imperial series is essentially a Symphony with the six small speakers replaced by two 4"X10" horns.  The Imperial series is essentially half of a Concert Grand in a smaller cabinet.  The larger models, Imperial, ST, and CG all are on casters since they are so blamed heavy.  The 665 Little Imperial is also on casters, hence my desire for it in my collection.  The little Imperial cabinets are different and more formal than Symphony.  I have done a lot of research on the various models.

Prices for the models in my collection started at $295 for the Contemporary, $325 for the Concerto, $595 for the Symphony, $695 for the Imperial, $795 for the ST, and $995 for the Concert Grand.  Keep in mind that in 1960 one could buy a nice new Chevy for that money.