Author Topic: Aother one. Looks promising. Don't know what model it is.  (Read 462 times)

rdnzl

• View Profile
Re: Aother one. Looks promising. Don't know what model it is.
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 11:53:02 AM »
Thanks very much.  Iím not finding your gallery.  Maybe Iím blind

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 12:09:01 PM »
Found it.  Very nice.

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 01:17:59 PM »
WOW, all I can say is WOW!  Electra225, you REALLY do know your Magnavox!  Your description and information backing up it was what I would say a very interesting read.  Kudos to you!  What a fun thread.

Steve

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 02:21:10 PM »
I just got home from looking at it. I passed.  The photos above, must have been taken 20 years ago. The cabinet is in horrible shape, and the phonograph makes a hideous grinding sound when it spins. I put on a record, and it does not play the record although it cycled correctly.  I believe at least one speaker is messed up.  The treble control seems to do nothing. I could not get any AM radio at all, and the FM was pretty spotty.

It was in a horrible house that stunk like pee. I had visions of rats living in the cabinet.

Way too much work needed, and the cabinet needs to be totally redone. 

But hey...the hunt is half the fun.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 08:38:49 PM »
That's too bad!  With some work that would have made you a great stereo.
Bill

Greg!

My Mystery Magnavox is model 3ST657A, Run 3.  9300 amp. Because it's a 5 knobber it should be a 100 series tuner. Imperial Micromatic changer just like my big Imperial has. Two tube MPX adaptor. 12" woofers, the big horns just like my big Imperial has. I think this is a cross between a Symphony, Little Imperial, and who knows what else.  It's Magnavox!  By the way, the woofer has number 270-242 or it might be 220-242.  Horn number 220-231. 
Bill

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 08:42:47 PM »
I forgot!  My Mystery Magnavox measures 48"   :)

Bill

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2018, 08:46:11 PM »
It was way too much for me. I'm old, my eyesight isn't so good, and my fingers show what happens when you work construction for decades. Way too much detailed work for me. Last time I used a soldering iron, it was a frustrating experience.  This cabinet was nothing like the photo in terms of condition.  It reminded me of online dating sites where people post photos of themselves when they were young and good looking, and when you meet them, you can't believe it's the same person.  Don't ask me how I know that.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 11:10:11 PM »
You would not have loaded my Stereo Theater if nasty is a deterrent.  Mine served as an ashtray for YEARS.  It is cleaning up nicely.  Magnavox stuff is hard to kill.  I am planning on taking the ST all apart and refinishing the cabinet.  That Symphony would have been a walk in the park in comparison.   :)

Bill, your mystery Magnavox is a 1963 version of a Symphony!  That speaker code was 220 (Jensen) and 242, the 42nd week of 1962.  655, 656 and 657 are all in the Symphony series.  Look at the 1961 catalog, on this site under Downloads.  Download it to your computer if you have not already.  It is INVALUABLE in trying to figure out what you have.  The 1962 version of the ST with Symphony electronics (the 300 series, 24" CRT) has a five knob tuner.  It is a little different from a "normal" five knobber, since it has an extra tube for the TV sound.  Yours is Run 3, making it a 1963.  '61 apparently was the last year for the eight speaker Symphonies.  In '62 it went to horns in some models, but not all.   :)  They dowrated the speakers to 12" like they did my ST.  That cabinet should have room for 15" speakers.  They were using leftover parts in 1963 and were throwing things together with whatever they had on hand.  1963 instruments are nearly impossible to document accurately.  That thing will be a sweetheart when you get it tuned up.  I'm excited for you!   :)
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 11:26:00 PM »
Steve, I'm glad you enjoyed the discussion.  Magnavox is a tough nut to crack.  They played their cards close to the vest.  Documentation is scarce and not very complete when you find it many times.  Guesstimation and deductive reasoning are required when you try to document anything Magnavox.  Then they had the habit of making top secret changes or would make a change then go back to the first method.  I never say anything absolute about Magnavox.  They would build whatever you were willing to pay for.

Model numbers on the instrument have no apparent meaning.  I have long wondered why they used a model number, sold the instrument by model number, yet service information was obtained using the model number not of the instrument, but of the components.  I may have found information that sheds light on some of this.  Let's take the example of Bill's mystery Magnavox, 3ST657.  The first digit, the 3 in this case, represents the run number.  You have to know when the instrument was introduced, in this case, 1961.  So the '61 version would be Run 1, the '62 version would be Run 2 and the '63 version would be Run 3.  The "ST" is easier.  Again, the 1961 catalog comes to the rescue.  "S" stands for stereo.  The "T" stands for a console cabinet with radio tuner.  If it were an "SC" model, that would be a console cabinet with phono only, no tuner.  IF it were an "SP" model, that would have been a portable stereo with no tuner.  This pretty much is consistant, with the possible exception of 1963 models.  The first "6" in the model number indicates it is a "regular production" item.  The next two numbers "57" indicate the Symphony "50" series.  Except 1963.  My little Contemporary, the cheapest Magnavox stereo I own is a 2ST653.  Right on the north edge of being a Symphony?  Then, some models have a suffix letter.  Say an "M" for example.  That suffix letter denotes optional equipment.  "M" as a suffix for a Stereo Theater indicates a 27" CRT.  An "M" on my Symphony indicates a mahogany finish.  An "L" suffix on a 656 little Imperial means it has a factory MPX adapter.  This may not be 100% accurate in all cases.  But makes more sense than anything I've come up with so far and may be subject to revision as time goes on.  I'm thrilled to have figured out this much.  I had help, by the way.  I will not reveal my source, but I am grateful for his assistance.   

The big Imperial model numbers started in "2" and the Concert Grand started in "8".  These two models, and perhaps the Stereo Theater models, (starting in 1,2,3 and 4) were considered "custom" instruments by the factory. 
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 08:08:33 AM »
Greg!

I have looked at all three years in the downloads and kind of figured out some of what you are saying in this thread.  I did not figure out it was a 1963 but your info made the mystery less of a mystery.   It would be great if someone would find a master book on Magnavox and add it to the downloads.  The information you just provided is awesome.  Thank you!

rdnzl!

We wouldn't dream of asking you "how you know that."   ;) ::) ;) ::)

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2018, 11:33:57 AM »
I'm not sure there is a "Master book of Magnavox."  It would be awesome, though.  Knowing Magnavox, it would not include THE tidbit of information I was looking for. 

Bill, you realize you have a probable Symphony with Jensen speakers!  The date codes on the speakers, if they are close to the rest of the codes in the instrument, make your instrument within the 1963 production run.  The 1963 part will be contingent upon the other codes matching the speaker codes.

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2018, 02:14:08 PM »
I just got home from looking at it. I passed.  The photos above, must have been taken 20 years ago. The cabinet is in horrible shape, and the phonograph makes a hideous grinding sound when it spins. I put on a record, and it does not play the record although it cycled correctly.  I believe at least one speaker is messed up.  The treble control seems to do nothing. I could not get any AM radio at all, and the FM was pretty spotty.

It was in a horrible house that stunk like pee. I had visions of rats living in the cabinet.

Way too much work needed, and the cabinet needs to be totally redone. 

But hey...the hunt is half the fun.

With a price tag of $20.00 I would have bought it anyway.  If it's not restoreable it's still worth a whole lot more than that in parts.  Just the tubes would be worth a lot more than that.  You could take it apart and dispose of the cabinet.  Almost all of the tube units will need need new capacitors at minimum to make them sound presentable.  If you're sure that you don't want it maybe post the listing and someone else here might want to buy it.   

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2018, 02:32:32 PM »
In addition to the radio being pretty trashed, there was the environment.  Have you ever seen the movie "The Book of Eli"?   The part where Eli and the girl to into the house with the old couple?  This place was WAY out in the boonies, and the only house on the road, and at the end of a very long driveway.  It smelled horrible, and I felt uneasy the whole time I was there.   I don't regret getting the hell out of there without the stereo.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2018, 03:24:46 PM »
When I picked up my Concert Grand, it was in a haunted house!   ;)

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2018, 07:01:52 PM »
Please, like Danclem said, if the ad is still available post it in SIGHTINGS here on the forum. 

Bill