Author Topic: Aother one. Looks promising. Don't know what model it is.  (Read 794 times)

rdnzl

• View Profile
Re: Aother one. Looks promising. Don't know what model it is.
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2018, 07:08:02 PM »
They sold it to someone.  Hopefully they got out of there without cooties.  8) 8)

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2018, 07:21:18 PM »
That would be a good thing!

Bill

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2018, 07:28:36 PM »
Greg,

You had mentioned that my speaker codes are Jensen and that's a good thing I guess.  I need to look for the other codes to determine if all dates match to make it a 1963.  Which, from what I understand is the last of the last?  Before Astro-Sonic took over.

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2018, 11:31:11 PM »
1963 was the last of the tube Magnavoxes.  They sold the solid state instrument side by side the tube ones.  Many times in the same, or highly similar, cabinets.  The tube instruments were thrown under the bus in advertisements.  Look at the '63 catalog.  They are trying to sell tube instruments, while showing how antique they were.  1963 Magnavox tube stuff could have anything in it. 

I told Bill this story.  I took in a '56 Packard Patrician to do a restoration on.  When it arrived on the tow truck, I noticed that the body was sitting flat on the ground.  These cars have a four-wheel torsion bar suspension system on them, years ahead of their time.  It was common to see these systems down all the way after the car had sat unused for 40 years.  So I was not terribly concerned to see this one that way.  When we finally got the car unloaded, I opened the hood and could not believe what I saw.  There were mud dauber nests EVERYWHERE in that car.  We eventually found them on the crankshaft, all thru the engine, all in the automatic transmission, in the carburetor, in the intake manifold, all thru the interior and on every square inch of everything else.  Even the radio and heater ductwork were full of them.  After we got all the mud daubers' nests dug out, we had three barrels full, nearly 1250 pounds.  The car built out beautifully and actually won its class at its first car show.  You never want to get too concerned about nasty.  A diamond in the rough, many times.   ;)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2018, 04:36:25 AM »
HOLY CRAP!  That sounds horrible...

'56 patrician has been on my want list for a long time...

I had the unfortunate experience of being in sales.  Won't elaborate on what but I had to go to people's homes.  It's sad to see how some people live.  I left a house and put a cover on my car seat before I got in it and threw out my suit as soon as I got home...  couldn't get the smell out of my nose for days...

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 08:37:45 AM »
That '56 Packard was possibly the best-built car I ever worked on.  It was 20 years in technology behind Buick with the exception of the torsion bar suspension.  It had a '53 Cadillac Wonderbar radio in it.  Even after sitting in a barn for 40 years, when we got it all done there was not a squeak or rattle anywhere in that car.  All I had to do to get the torsion bars working again was to clean up the relays and time the system.  The motor on the torsion bars was a Delco starter motor that crossed to one used on a diesel farm tractor.  The seats were originally stuffed with horse hair.  We used foam rubber when we put them back together.  Although the interior materials were not usable, it was still in good shape.  It had leather and whipcord interior.  It had wool carpet that probably could have been re-used had it not been for mouse pee.  The owner was afraid it would smell.  This car had the twin-four-barrel 374 V-8 found in the Carribean and had factory air.  It had headlight dimmer, the same system Olds had in 1955.  Totally loaded with all the goodies, twin antennas, the whole shot.  Those old Packard V-8's did not run as smooth or put out the power of their Straight 8's.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bobby Basham

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2018, 02:38:28 PM »
Electra225, I have a 1963 Contemporary model 2ST667(A), but it is an Astro-Sonic featured in a 1963 catalog. It's almost 50" long and listed for $495 which is quite a bit for just radio/phono.  If you look underneath, you can see part of the 15" woofer frame protruding from the bottom.

Would this be a later, solid-state, version of the little Imperial 1ST665?  I didn't realize mine was as old as it is.