Author Topic: 1963 RCA  (Read 291 times)

Mark

• View Profile

Bill

• View Profile
Re: 1963 RCA
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 05:16:49 PM »
$30.00 is a steal.  That was one of RCA's higher end units.  That might have 4 6v6 push pull. 

Bill

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 09:15:14 PM »
I don't like the style very much but for that amount of money it would be hard to go wrong.

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 10:01:10 PM »
I have one like that but with the conventional cabinet style.   I think the one pictured would be something like a 3VF488 model.  The amplifier should be push pull 6BQ5's.  My tuner drifts a little bit on FM, but once it stops it sounds very nice.  Sensitivity of the FM radio is quite good.

$30.00 is a very good price.  It's gonna be heavy!

Steve

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 11:44:59 PM »
So the RCA tuners drift?  I thought that was a Magnavox exclusive.  Is that a tube tuner?  Stereo or stereo compatible tuner?  Does it use an stereo decoder (multiplex adapter) of some kind?
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 09:02:06 AM »
My RCA does drift a little bit, but I'm trying to pick up a very weak station adjacent to some stronger ones.  It has the music I like, 50's-60's and 70's.  The problem is the AFC works well but it drifts enough (the first 15 minutes or so) that it will jump to the stronger station.  After that it's good.  I still think it is a very good tuner.  I think I'm wrong on the model (old age setting in), as the one I mentioned earlier is still the low 6 foot cabinet.  I think the model on that upright model would be a 3VF5xx series.  I think that's what I remember.

Anyway to put it into perspective, I think most tube tuners do drift a little bit.  Changing the front end tubes can make a big difference.  I have found that all of my tube equipment picks up stations better than any of my newer stuff.  When this stuff was built, there weren't that many FM stations so they make them sensitive.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 10:25:01 AM »
So the RCA tuners drift?  I thought that was a Magnavox exclusive.  Is that a tube tuner?  Stereo or stereo compatible tuner?  Does it use an stereo decoder (multiplex adapter) of some kind?

See tag for my 3VF516, its an FM stereo tuner on one chassis. I have not played with it yet, as I have a more entry-level 1961 VCR244 "Living Stereo" RCA console to work on first.

The 6C9 is also in an Admiral tuner which has a hard time with its AFC, so I don't use it even though my key stations are below 91.9 Mhz and also happen to be stronger than their adjacents.

I agree with Greg about Mag tuners, the AFC action has to wide of a range for today's crowded band. Maybe RCA is similar, but I would expect a bit more sensitive. The design is certainly different.

Matter of fact, the 1963 Zenith I'm finishing up is working great and its plenty sensitive just like the Motorola tuners that use the German-made pull-string tuners employing the 6BQ7A. 
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 12:10:11 PM »
Sorry, I guess wrong on the tubes.  It's a newer model than I thought. 

Bill