Author Topic: A tuber I am considering. Comments??  (Read 408 times)

rdnzl

• View Profile
A tuber I am considering. Comments??
« on: August 09, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »
Here's another Magnavox I may go look at.  It has tubes. thats about all the guy can tell me about it.

Any ideas?  Is it a decent model?

thanks

electra225

• View Profile
Re: A tuber I am considering. Comments??
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 01:16:02 PM »
If it has tubes, it is probably a "Concerto" model 1ST611.  That would have the P-P 8800 series amp with 6V6's.  Probably 12" woofers with two 4" tweeters per channel.  I restored a model 616 in the Concerto series.  It is in my Gallery if you would care to see it.  Dandy little stereos.  A Magnavox  to the bone.  Guys turn up their noses at the little Magnavox stereos.  They don't know what they are missing.  Easy to work on and uncomplicated.  A multiplex adapter is available if it does not have one.  Good luck.

I just noticed the changer in that instrument is not the correct one.  That one is from an early Astro-Sonic.  The difference is the platter.  The correct S-600 would have the 9" platter.  The Astro-Sonics had 12" platters.  Not a big deal, it will work just fine.  It is basically the same changer with a larger platter.  The smaller platter will swap if it bothers you.

Just for grins, before you buy this thing, verify that is has tubes.  That thing could be an early Astro-Sonic lurking in a tube cabinet.  Magnavox did that in 1963.  The changer is the red flag. 
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 02:10:45 PM »
If I can get this guy to reply to my emails, I may end up with it.  So many flakes out there.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 07:22:13 PM »
Good luck!   :)
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Bobby Basham

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 12:41:47 PM »
I think those small consoles sound great and would pit that against any other brand of that size.  Looks can be deceiving, and these consoles really deliver.

It's really got me curious and would like to know what's in that thing.  Here's the cover page to those changers.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 01:26:30 PM »
Referring to the 1963 Magnavox catalog, if that instrument was solid state, it would be a model 1ST636.  Also notice that the 1963 Astro-Sonic models still used the 9 inch platter from the old tube days.  IIRC, the 12" platter was used in the 1964 to early 1966 edition.  The only way that changer is correct for that stereo is if it is solid state.  Then the tuner, knobs and bezel would be wrong.  Did anybody else notice the five-position external speaker switch?  The 611 would not typically have that speaker switch.  That is typically reserved for the six-knobbers. 

Bobby Basham

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 05:19:45 PM »
That's neat that it could possibly be an early, "transitional" model.  Is there some history/documentation that I can find to read about the older phonos and what led up to the development and introduction of the Astro-Sonic line?  Phillips could care less, and that's a shame kicking an important piece of electronic history to the curb.

It might be boring reading to some, but I'd like to know what those engineers, developers and designers were thinking from the beginning and how they advanced throughout the decades. I know next to nothing about Magnavox history and it would be good to know all the behind the scenes stuff.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 06:40:31 PM »
Magnavox history is hard to pin down accurately.  They made it particularly difficult for whatever reason.  I have tried to concentrate on the 1959-1963 stereo models with push-pull amplifiers.  Just this fairly concentrated effort has been rife with pitfalls and information that is constantly changing.  Magnavox made custom instruments.  They had standard offerings, but I have seen many diversions from that.  You could get what you were willing to pay for.  I know Magnavox started out in like 1915 making speakers.  Mr Magnavox and Mr. Jensen started the company.  (Actually, there was no MR. Magnavox.  I just can't remember the dude's name who started the company with Mr. Jensen!)  Magnavox means "great voice."  Probably Latin.   ;)

It is rather ironic that a company who started out building speakers, and supplied speakers for other companies, did not build all of the speakers used in their instruments during the tube stereo era.  The bean counters had killed Magnavox long before Phillips entered the picture.  Witness what happened to the big Imperial and Concert Grand models after the bean counters had their say.

Bobby Basham

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 11:34:31 PM »
This older unit got me to thinking about one of my Maggies.  It has that brass-colored plating and Astro-Sonic Stereophonic High Fidelity stenciled perpendicularly in gold letters on the wood next to the face plate.  The turntable has the 9-inch platter and labeled Imperial Micromatic - Magnavox.

What I thought was 1965 is actually an early 1963 AS-30 "The Contemporary", 2-ST667(A), in some type of light natural finish, and listed for $495 in the 1963 brochure. It does have the 15" woofers and horns and is pretty loud.  I didn't remember at the time how far back the Astro-Sonics went.

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 12:12:02 PM »
I think this one got away.  I haven't heard back from the guy in 4 or 5 days.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 12:27:29 PM »
Do you know where the seller lives?  You might drop by, cash in hand, with a truck and a strong body to help load   :)

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 12:59:40 PM »
I donít. Our only communication has been spotty. I suspect itís been sold. It seems like the courtesy of a response is too much to expect from some people

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 01:07:32 PM »
Persistence pays off....sometimes but I have CL replies routinely ignored even though I ask "when can I come look" Some folks must be afraid to meet a potential customer :-\

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

rdnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 01:21:53 PM »
Wow, while I was reading this post, I got an email:

"Sorry I'm just getting back to you I have been sick but it is sold"

Mystery solved.  Back to the hunt.Ö.

Bobby Basham

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 03:27:56 PM »
How many Maggies do you have now, rdnzl?